46 replies to this topic

#1 ErraticBinxie

ErraticBinxie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:00 PM

I have my FAVORITE shampoo that I have been using for the last several months. I absolutely love it. It makes my hair smell so good and feel so soft. Today in the shower I just decided to read the ingredients for the first time and I saw that it has HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN in it. I am heart broken.

My question is, how bad can wheat protein in my shampoo really be and should I stop using it?

All of your thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.
<3 Alexis
Gluten-Free since 1995

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 StrongerToday

StrongerToday

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:11 PM

IMO it's just not worth it for me. I freak out about a crumb on the countertop!! There are lots of other good ones out there.
Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05
Negative Bloodwork ~
Dr. encourages me to trust my
"Gut Reaction"

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:40 PM

The danger is in accidentally getting some in your mouth and swallowing. It would certainly be just a tiny amount but it could build up over time.

richard

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:10 PM

I know how you feel--really! But it's so easy to get the shampoo in your mouth that, to me, it's not worth the risk. I didn't pay attention to my products the first 2 months or so gluten-free. I didn't know about the risk at the time. When I did finally go through my products and stopped using those with gluten in them, I felt better. Up until then, I was getting 'mystery glutenings' that I couldn't figure out.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 minibabe

minibabe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:59 PM

I am in the same situation... I use John Frieda and they can not guarantee that there product is not gluten-free. I am really upset because I dont know what to do. I love the shampoo/conditioner it makes my hair look great. Does anyone know of the side affects to using a non gluten-free shampoo/conditioner

thanks

Amanda NY

#6 cgilsing

cgilsing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:27 PM

I had a leave in conditioner that I LOVED! I used it for a long time and told myself that there was no way it would hurt me, but then after months of never REALLY getting better I finally gave in and gave up my conditioner (and my shampoo which turned out not to be gluten-free) It really did make a difference! I must have been being glutened from it, because I felt a lot better after I gave it up! I switched to suave shampoo first, just because I knew it was gluten free. I hated it. It really dryed out my hair. Then I started using Pantene, but then I read that the changed their formula and were no longer gluten-free, so I switched to Fructis (sp?). The Fructis is a good shampoo and it doesn't make me sick. Plus I found a new leave in conditioner that works pretty good. You just have to look around. There are good ones that are gluten-free, and at least for me it was worth it! B)

#7 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:49 PM

I had to switch shampoos becuase the wheat in it started giving me a rash of sorts on my scalp.

#8 num1habsfan

num1habsfan

Prairie field, possibly the best picture I've taken!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:05 AM

I try to avoid the shampoo with gluten in it if possible. Sometimes I end up feeling odd for the day (like slight glutening). Except the bad thing is most shampoos for dandruff have gluten in them :blink:

Thats why I swear by Cliniderm (http://www.canderm.c...?intNodeID=8041). Expensive, but good :P

~lisa~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...
...26 years old...
...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

#9 key

key

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:37 AM

I confess to using shampoo with wheat in them. There just aren't hardly any options without it and it doesn't seem to be bothering me. I know I might face some wrath for saying this. Anyway, I don't use lipstick with wheat. I do try and make sure the shampoo doesn't get in my mouth. It comes down to a personal decision I think.
Monica

#10 TCA

TCA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:42 AM

I had to switch shampoos becuase the wheat in it started giving me a rash of sorts on my scalp.

I had this too. thought I was just strange, but apparently a lot us are! :P
If you're looking for info on how to get started on the gluten-free diet, check out this List for Newly Diagnosed.
Self - Pain free since going gluten-free 9/05 (suffered from unexplained joint pain entire life), asthma improving, allergies improving, mysterious rash disappeared (probably DH)
Husband - Type 1 diabetic, Negative bloodwork
Son - Elevated IgA, Very high IgG, 2 negative biopsies - HLA DQ2 and DQ8 positive, Amazing dietary response since 1/06
Daughter - Congenital Heart Defect (2 surgeries), Reflux, choking issues, eczema, egg allergy - HLA DQ2 positive, Good dietary response (via me because of nursing) since 9/05
"All things happen for good for those who love God..." Romans 8:28

#11 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:48 AM

I don't risk it either. Switched all my products--and found a new shampoo that makes my hair look even better! (And several other woman have switched to using it too :) What shampoo have you been using?
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#12 Mahee34

Mahee34

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:53 AM

honestly, i use shampoos with wheat or oat in them. i've never had much of a problem. awhile back there was even a little test on here like putting baking soda in your shampoo and seeing how much you get in your mouth and i didn't get any....i think it's up to you to decide and see, obviously if you have DH you can't use it but if not, everyone makes their own choice :)i believe i'm one of the rare ones who doesn't use all gluten free products.....either way! good luck!

#13 anerissara

anerissara

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:46 AM

I don't risk it either. Switched all my products--and found a new shampoo that makes my hair look even better! (And several other woman have switched to using it too smile.gif What shampoo have you been using?

What kind do you use? I didn't know Pantene had changed their formula...nuts, now I'll have to find another shampoo. Rats.

I get that rash on my scalp too, and come to think of it I've had it lately. time for a new shampoo!
"I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.'" -Psalm 91

gluten-free since January 26th, 2005
Feeling up and down, but better!

Mommy of a gluten-free 8 yr old, a 6 yr old who (much to her dismay) will be gluten-free soon and a 2 yr old who is so far symptom-free. Contemplating putting the whole family on the gluten-free diet since crumbs have become my nemisis!

#14 Ashley

Ashley

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 03:28 PM

For me, it bothers my skin and scalp too much to use shampoo with gluten in it. I break out and get rashes. Plus, it wouldn't be good to get it in eyes.

-Diganosed with Celiac's Disease on April 15, 2005.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life"-Picasso

#15 slpinsd

slpinsd

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 04:24 PM

I use Paul Mitchell (has wheat in it), and I haven't had a problem. Honestly, I haven't even got around to checking out my shampoos/cosmetic products yet. I guess I should do that when I run out of this one- I'll get something gluten free.
Weak positive bloodwork (IgG only)
"Mild flattening of villi" noted on endoscopy, but negative biopsy
Positive response to gluten-free Diet 1/14/06
Diagnosed gluten intolerant by Enterolab
HLA-DQB1*0201, 0201 (HLA-DQ2, DQ2)- 2 Celiac Genes
Vitamin B-12 deficiency
Have not received Celiac Diagnosis based on negative biopsy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: