46 replies to this topic

#16 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 04:28 PM

Think of how many times when you shower you have gotten shampoo in your mouth. Everytime you do this, you could be getting gluten posioning, slowly but surely. I would change it, but for me even a crumb send me into anaphalytic shock.
Molly

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Sandyo

Sandyo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 05:55 PM

I had this too. thought I was just strange, but apparently a lot us are! :P

I'm just beginning to sort out if I'm gluten intolerant. But speaking of rashes, I've had one in my scalp, forehead, checks, neck, chest and upper back that my Dermatologist doesn't know what it is. Thought it was acne and I tolk Acutane. It went away but came back as soon as I went off it. Of course I didn't know about gluten at the time. I've been gluten free for about 2 weeks now and I think it's getting better. It doesn't itch, but I can scratch little grains of sand like "things" off my skin. Does this sound like the rashes you guys are talking about? I haven't checked my shampoo and conditioner but I will now. Please let me know...I have to get rid of this rash. Summer is comming and it looks nasty. Thanks for your comments.
Sandy O
Gluten free since July 2006

#18 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:04 PM

that sounds a lot like a celiac reaction to skin products. you should check all your products, probably at least one of them has gluten.
Molly

#19 kevsmom

kevsmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:10 PM

I was using Pantene Volumizing Shampoo and Lever 2000 body soap. I didn't have a rash, but started itching all over my stomach and sides. I figured it had to be either the shampoo or the soap causing this. I switched to Suave BioBasics shampoo and Suave Naturals Ocean Breeze soap. After about 3 days, no more itching. It's a lot cheaper too!.

Cindy
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2005
Diabetic

#20 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:16 AM

I have always used Pantene and I just read the ingredients on the bottle, no wheat. Maybe the newer products have wheat, the Pantene for different colors of hair, for brunettes, redheads, or blondes--I stick to my old favorites. I do not find any wheat in the ingredients. Fruitis is made by the makers of Pantene. Now Tressemme has wheat in it and I do react to it. Pantene is one of the only conditioners I can find that work with my hair--it's very thick and waist length. Aussie products work too. I am not giving up my old Pantene until I have further proof. Deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#21 turtle99

turtle99

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:00 AM

I am in the process of trying to use all wheat/gluten free shampoos and bath gels. I thought I was the only one feeling that way. I was using Druide lavender bath gel, it contains wheat protein, which I only realized after I experienced increased itching and dryness all over, after my showers.

I also share the feeling that it's better to eliminate all gluten, even in soaps.
Anyone have a suggestion for organic, chemical-free shampoo?
"Turtle99"
gluten-free since may02/05

#22 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,769 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:12 AM

I am in the process of trying to use all wheat/gluten free shampoos and bath gels. I thought I was the only one feeling that way. I was using Druide lavender bath gel, it contains wheat protein, which I only realized after I experienced increased itching and dryness all over, after my showers.

I also share the feeling that it's better to eliminate all gluten, even in soaps.

Have you tried the Giovanni brand? Even thier 'golden wheat' shampoo is Gluten free. I find their products in the health food section of my regular grocery store and in my health food store.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#23 key

key

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:34 PM

The pantene I bought had Oats in it. I was specifically trying to give up the wheat one's.
Monica

#24 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 01:11 PM

California Baby and Aubrey Organics (only certain scents I think) are both pretty good.
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#25 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 01:24 PM

I've been using California Baby Super Sensitive lately, and I really like it. It also contains no sodium laurel sulfate--which I like. :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#26 turtle99

turtle99

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 05:03 PM

Thx for the tips. good to know that Giovanni is gluten-free, I'll had that one to my list. California Baby , didn't think of using baby shampoo, good idea. I love the Aubrey skin care line, shampoos look good too.

A general question: I find that my skin was particularly dry, before going gluten-free. Did anyone else find that?
"Turtle99"
gluten-free since may02/05

#27 Becky6

Becky6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:38 AM

I used to get itchy bumps on my head and my scalp itched really bad! My hair also was starting to fall out. I then noticed that there were 3 wheat ingredients in my shampoo! Once I stopped using it it all went away!

#28 beth g

beth g

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:24 PM

my mother and i have just got rid of the skin products.

#29 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:40 PM

I get a rash on my scalp from shampoos with wheat. I also get blisters near my hair and on my neck. They're not quite blisters, but not pimples either. I don't know whether they're DH, but since being gluten-free and switching shampoos, they've gone away.

I also get those little bumps that can be scratched off, separately from the rash and blisters. Some are deep under my skin on my chin and I don't know how to get rid of them. Sometimes they're there for months before they finally surface.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#30 rottiloverthor

rottiloverthor

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:43 AM

I know what you mean! You should really try the new shampoo and conditioner that comes in the bright green bottles and is called something related to sugar....... :unsure: nope still can not remember he name. But it is awesome stuff. If you have a Sam's card they sell it at most Sam's.

Thor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: