#1 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:58 PM

:) :) :)

The "Almondy" Original Swedish Almond TOrte with DAIM from IKEA is unbelievably good--and it's gluten-free!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can eat it by the slice in their restaurant, but it's quite inexpensive to buy the whole thing frozen and bring it home.

I wonder how many more IKEA products are gluten-free? I had actually bought this before I knew I had a problem with gluten, just because it tastes so good.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IronedOut

IronedOut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:18 PM

Yeah!! Another Sunday drive added back to the list. :D
YIC Julie

Official DX 01/04/2006
~Iron bottomed out 12/08/2005
~Confirmed biopsy and blood tests
~All this and no symptoms that couldn't be explained by a good Mexican dinner

#3 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:43 PM

Now those Swedes know how to make food properly, don't they!!!!! :P ;)

Hugs.
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#4 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:25 AM

I was there last weekend and looked those things over--they looked good! Alas, I didn't buy one though, I am dairy-free too...
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#5 CeliaCruz

CeliaCruz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:25 AM

I wonder how many more IKEA products are gluten-free?

You mean like desks and coffee tables and stuff like that? :lol:

Now those Swedes know how to make food properly, don't they!!!!! :P ;)

You don't know how right you are. A "proper" torte, according to a Martha Stewart Living rerun I was watching recently, is made with nut flour. They aren't meant to contain any wheat flour at all. So what's really good about these tortes is that they aren't gluten-free because someone made them for a specific dietary market, they're gluten free because they're better that way.

#6 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:32 AM

Fiddle-Faddle

I have two of those in my freezer! Thet are very good. I think you can get them at either Sunnybridge or Whole foods. I can't remember where I purchased them at but they might be cheaper than at Ikea. I also bought a choc.decent dessert at Trader Joe's in Ohio when I was there. I'm not a choc. person but it looked so good...I will get the name of it of the box if anyone wants it.....

mamaw

#7 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:53 PM

I used to eat those before I was df. They were so good.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#8 amybeth

amybeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 05:51 PM

Visited Ikea, today. YUM!! Three varieties of the torte -- chocolate, caramel(more like toffee), and almond. All free of gluten. Guy behind the counter showed me the box so I could read the ingredients and saw website almondy.com I haven't checked it out yet. Also box indicated they were connected w/ Kraft foods.

Very yummy, I thought a small amount went a long way. I might break mine into mini - bite size pieces and freeze them.

Lucky me, Mom decided to serve it for dessert on Easter -- it was that yummy! (I'm the only gluten-free one in the bunch!)
Amy

Gluten Free since 4/05 - adult onset
Symptoms for 4+ years prior
Immediate family tests negative
No Known family members w/ celiac disease

#9 Sagesmama

Sagesmama

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 03:00 PM

yum... got the chocolate almondy torte last night when we went to Ikea- thanks for the heads up!

#10 SandraNinTO

SandraNinTO

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:23 PM

I love this, LOVE IT!!! Also, I love the little flag on top which says "Glutenfrei". I knew you all would understand.

#11 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:32 PM

Dangit! The nearest Ikea for me is in Houston (though I'm not above driving 2.5 hours for cake!).

I found Almondy stuff (what's at Ikea) at the gluten-free mall though!

http://www.glutenfre...products_id=348
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#12 SwimmingUpstream

SwimmingUpstream

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:52 AM

I know this is an old post and I hate to be the bearer of bad news...but...I recently was at IKEA and looked at their nutrition binder for something there that I could eat (it is available upon request) and the almond tortes contain WHEAT STARCH! I was very upset because they prominently display that they are GLUTEN FREE! I pointed it out to the cashier who suggested I ask for the binder, but I'm sure it won't go much further than that. My only supposition is that since its a European company, their standards must be different for classifying 'gluten free' and I think I read somewhere that in Europe, wheat starch is considered gluten free.

#13 NJKen

NJKen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:11 AM

I know this is an old post and I hate to be the bearer of bad news...but...the almond tortes contain WHEAT STARCH! I was very upset because they prominently display that they are GLUTEN FREE! ...I think I read somewhere that in Europe, wheat starch is considered gluten free.

Pure wheat starch is inherently gluten-free, but there is a risk of cross-contamination during its extraction. I believe that in Europe, some wheat starch is produced with the intent of using it in gluten-free products, and this wheat starch is tested for gluten content. Many cakes and cookies labeled as gluten-free in Europe include wheat starch as an ingredient. There must be many people on the gluten-free diet in Europe who consume these (and when I visit Europe, I am among them), but you'll need to decide for yourself whether you feel safe.

#14 irish daveyboy

irish daveyboy

The Irish Coeliac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:24 AM

The "Almondy" Original Swedish Almond TOrte with DAIM from IKEA is unbelievably good--and it's gluten-free!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch out for the Blueberry or Strawberry Cheesecakes in the Freezer Cabinets (can't remember the name, Swedish of course) it's also Gluten Free. They Normally have a list at the food checkout which lists Gluten Free items maybe also other allergies.

Best Regards,
David
Chronically Ill and lost 56lbs in 3 Months Prior to Diagnosis.
Diagnosed in Nov 2005 after Biopsy and Blood Tests
Cannot tolerate Codex Wheat Starch.
Self Taught Baker.
Bake everything from scratch using naturally gluten-free ingredients.

#15 celiackitcat

celiackitcat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:33 AM

I'm slightly confused. I went to the website of the company that at least used to make them (almondy) and I don't even see wheat starch listed as an ingredient. Did the manufacturer they use change? Because these are the ingredients I see on the website:

Sugar, egg white, water, vegetable fat, glucose syrup, cream, almonds, apricot kernels, egg yolk, condensed milk, cocoa butter, skimmed milk powder, buttermilk powder, cocoa mass, butter, whey powder, stabilizer (sorbitol, carboxy methyl cellulose, pectin, gellan gum), cocoa powder, emulsifier (soy lecithin, lactic acid esters of mono- and diglycerides, mono- and diglycerides of fatty acids), salt, freeze-dried coffee, flavouring.
Contains milk, egg, soy lecithin, almonds.
May contain traces of peanuts.
Contains Marabou milk chocolate (12%)
and meringues (6%).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: