Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Mcdonalds For Breakfast?

22 posts in this topic

I really would like to taste how McDonalds new coffee tastes like but to make it worth the trip it would be nice to order something else for breakfast. Since my favorite egg McMuffin is out of the questions does anyone know of a gluten free choice I could have?. Thanks

Gail

Ads by Google:

side order of scrambled eggs, side order of sausage, fruit and yogurt parfait without the granola

side order of scrambled eggs, side order of sausage, fruit and yogurt parfait without the granola

Ditto on that! I had that last Saturday and no problems. They even deducted the bisquit and hashbrowns off the price. :)

Well everyone who knows me here knows I sort of hate MD's for many reasons but I have to question...if you eat their fries (I said if you do) and don't have problems can't you eat their hashbrowns too? MD told my Mother today that she can have their fries and their hasbrowns so that's why I read this thread. Thoughts or reasons why MD hashbrowns are or are not safe?

The hashbrowns are safe. The coffee is goooooood.

I don't want to reopen the whole debate on the fries. But, there is no issue with the hash browns per se. They are fried in the same oil as the fries. This is NOT the oil that is the subject of the controversy in the USA; this is the fryer oil in the local store. If you consider the fries safe, as I personally do, then the hash browns are also safe. In Canada there never was any question about the fries. The US issue is: wheat and milk are used in the preparation of an extract used in the flavoring of the oil in which the potatoes are partially fried prior to being frozen and shipped to your local outlet, where the frying process is completed in oil which does not contain flavoring additives. This applies only to the US supplier of parfried potatoes to McDonalds. Whether there is any gluten or casein remaining in the final product is controversial.

I eat the Big Breakfast after carefully explaining that I cannot have the biscuit and that the kitchen must not put it in at all, since it will contaminate the meal. I rarely have a problem with this request.

Of course, cross-contamination is always a concern in any restaurant. Each of us must make our own decision about how much risk we will accept, and how often.

But don't eat the eggs at Burger King... they use those cartons of prescrambled "stuff" called eggs. Mc Donalds uses real eggs.

This is a great thread, I will be heading away in a few months, and the only internet access with an easy drive of where I will be (deep in the monutians) is a McDondals in a small town. I figure I will have to drive out there every morning to touch base with work. I might have to risk eating there since I ahve a real addiction to eating when arround food, reguardless if hungery or not LOL

before you eat eggs from anywhere be SUPER careful!!!!!!!!! some breakfast places put pancake batter in the eggs to make them appear fluffier....i know that IHOP does this for sure, ever since then i've asked everyone. that suprise was not a good one.

Nobody on this thread has said to eat the bacon but I thought I'd warn explicitly -- DON'T eat the bacon. The vast majority of bacons are gluten-free, but McD's is not.

richard

FYI,

I went to IHOP on Sunday.

I asked the manager to come over and she worked out a meal for me.

They used fresh eggs in a skillet and made a bacon omelette and a side of hash browns.

Both items were cooked in clean pans and it was wonderful.

Always get a manager over -- they have the power to help!!!!

in line with psawyer here are some links to mcdonalds concerning their fries and hashbrowns...

http://www.mcdonalds.com/mcd_apps/nutritio...n_statement.pdf

http://www.mcdonalds.com/mcd_apps/nutritio...ed_Response.pdf

i've been eating mcdonalds fries but now i am not sure that is a good idea :angry: . it seems as though it is controversial as to whether gluten remains - some dairy remains. anyway, though you all may like to see the link to read up for yourselves.

-michelle :)

as far as McD's bacon goes, yeah, it's not safe, BUT you could have a side order of Canadian Bacon!!!

I used to eat McD's for breakfast every day and when I first went gluten-free, I wasn't about to give it up if I didn't have to. After the whole french fry fiasco, I'm boycotting them on principal, but ya know, if I get hungry enough, I may just stop and eat breakfast there.

Okay now you're talkin'....love my 'eggamuffin' and used to have it about once a month, then switched to BoJangles biscuit b'fast when they opened close by. Then I saw Supersize me and that totally turned me OFF of MD's. But when traveling out of town in early morning, I think I may get an eggamuffin (no bread) and hashbrowns. My MD's staff are intelectually challenged so I have to ban them still but the one I visit in TN occasionally is better.

What I wouldn't to for a Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuit... <_<

What I wouldn't to for a Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuit... <_<

Yea Ev--that ship has sailed for me, too! :angry:

Yea Ev--that ship has sailed for me, too! :angry:

Well, I keep saying one of these days I should reintroduce cheese and see what happens (it's been 7 months!!). Maybe I'll make my own on a Knickiknick english muffin? It would be close.... er, closer anyway... Funny, there's not much I miss - but this sure is one of them!

i have been loving bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits lately using grandma feronda's hamburger buns...they taste biscuit like...yum! just slap some scrambled egg, some bacon strips, and a slice of cheese and then microwave to melt it all together...it tastes a lot like mcd's biscuits to me :D my hubby even wants to try the buns cuz they smell so good to him (he's not gluten-free)

angie

I've been making my own version of McGriddles, I've been putting a scrambled egg, topped with American Cheese in between two pancakes made with 123 gluten-free Pancake Mix... I make the whole bag up of the mix and then freeze the pancakes in packs of two in sandwich baggies then in a freezer bag. Just pull out the sandwich baggie of two frozen pancakes, nuke em for a minute and then top with the egg and cheese! Very portable! Would be awesome if I had some Canadian Bacon!

Now, find me a suitable substitute for a Burger King Croissanwich and I'll be a very happy girl!

Thanks for all the wonderful replies. I plan on going there this saturday morning. I checked the ingredient lists for McDonalds because I get pretty sick with MSG too. The sausage patties have them in. :angry:

I'm going to see if they'll make me the egg McMuffin without the muffin or get the big breakfast and substitute the canadian bacon for sausage. The hash brown looks good to me. I see in the yogurt parfaits the have konjac flour in it...what is that!!??

Another thing I noticed was the grilled chicken has wheat in it, so not safe for your salads. And yes the bacon has wheat and soy in it.

If the premium coffee is good it beats going to Starbucks so I'm hoping it will be.

Gail :D

Well, I keep saying one of these days I should reintroduce cheese and see what happens (it's been 7 months!!). Maybe I'll make my own on a Knickiknick english muffin? It would be close.... er, closer anyway... Funny, there's not much I miss - but this sure is one of them!

It's your choice, but at some point when you can be miserable at home with no obligations if necessary, you should try cheese again. Many people -- though not all of course -- can tolerate it once they've been gluten-free.

richard

It's your choice, but at some point when you can be miserable at home with no obligations if necessary, you should try cheese again. Many people -- though not all of course -- can tolerate it once they've been gluten-free.

richard

i'm one of those people who can now tolerate dairy...i was dairy free for over 8 years, and cheese was the worst for me...we figured that i was dairy intolerant...well once i found out that it was gluten, i went gluten free then slowly added dairy back in...now i eat a lot of it...although i found that i like vanilla soy milk better than plain cow's milk :P

angie