21 replies to this topic

#1 bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:18 PM

I really would like to taste how McDonalds new coffee tastes like but to make it worth the trip it would be nice to order something else for breakfast. Since my favorite egg McMuffin is out of the questions does anyone know of a gluten free choice I could have?. Thanks

Gail
Gluten Free since Jan. 06
Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602
Lactose intolerant.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:21 PM

side order of scrambled eggs, side order of sausage, fruit and yogurt parfait without the granola

#3 Sandyo

Sandyo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:33 PM

side order of scrambled eggs, side order of sausage, fruit and yogurt parfait without the granola

Ditto on that! I had that last Saturday and no problems. They even deducted the bisquit and hashbrowns off the price. :)
Sandy O
Gluten free since July 2006

#4 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:40 PM

Well everyone who knows me here knows I sort of hate MD's for many reasons but I have to question...if you eat their fries (I said if you do) and don't have problems can't you eat their hashbrowns too? MD told my Mother today that she can have their fries and their hasbrowns so that's why I read this thread. Thoughts or reasons why MD hashbrowns are or are not safe?
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

#5 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

Bloom where you are planted.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:22 PM

The hashbrowns are safe. The coffee is goooooood.
I believe in God.

#6 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,995 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:23 PM

I don't want to reopen the whole debate on the fries. But, there is no issue with the hash browns per se. They are fried in the same oil as the fries. This is NOT the oil that is the subject of the controversy in the USA; this is the fryer oil in the local store. If you consider the fries safe, as I personally do, then the hash browns are also safe. In Canada there never was any question about the fries. The US issue is: wheat and milk are used in the preparation of an extract used in the flavoring of the oil in which the potatoes are partially fried prior to being frozen and shipped to your local outlet, where the frying process is completed in oil which does not contain flavoring additives. This applies only to the US supplier of parfried potatoes to McDonalds. Whether there is any gluten or casein remaining in the final product is controversial.

I eat the Big Breakfast after carefully explaining that I cannot have the biscuit and that the kitchen must not put it in at all, since it will contaminate the meal. I rarely have a problem with this request.

Of course, cross-contamination is always a concern in any restaurant. Each of us must make our own decision about how much risk we will accept, and how often.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

Bloom where you are planted.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:25 PM

But don't eat the eggs at Burger King... they use those cartons of prescrambled "stuff" called eggs. Mc Donalds uses real eggs.
I believe in God.

#8 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:36 PM

This is a great thread, I will be heading away in a few months, and the only internet access with an easy drive of where I will be (deep in the monutians) is a McDondals in a small town. I figure I will have to drive out there every morning to touch base with work. I might have to risk eating there since I ahve a real addiction to eating when arround food, reguardless if hungery or not LOL

- Vincent -

#9 Mahee34

Mahee34

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:11 PM

before you eat eggs from anywhere be SUPER careful!!!!!!!!! some breakfast places put pancake batter in the eggs to make them appear fluffier....i know that IHOP does this for sure, ever since then i've asked everyone. that suprise was not a good one.

#10 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:30 PM

Nobody on this thread has said to eat the bacon but I thought I'd warn explicitly -- DON'T eat the bacon. The vast majority of bacons are gluten-free, but McD's is not.

richard

#11 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:58 PM

FYI,

I went to IHOP on Sunday.

I asked the manager to come over and she worked out a meal for me.

They used fresh eggs in a skillet and made a bacon omelette and a side of hash browns.

Both items were cooked in clean pans and it was wonderful.

Always get a manager over -- they have the power to help!!!!

#12 Guest_mvaught_*

Guest_mvaught_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:41 AM

in line with psawyer here are some links to mcdonalds concerning their fries and hashbrowns...

http://www.mcdonalds...n_statement.pdf

http://www.mcdonalds...ed_Response.pdf

i've been eating mcdonalds fries but now i am not sure that is a good idea :angry: . it seems as though it is controversial as to whether gluten remains - some dairy remains. anyway, though you all may like to see the link to read up for yourselves.

-michelle :)

#13 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:53 AM

as far as McD's bacon goes, yeah, it's not safe, BUT you could have a side order of Canadian Bacon!!!

I used to eat McD's for breakfast every day and when I first went gluten-free, I wasn't about to give it up if I didn't have to. After the whole french fry fiasco, I'm boycotting them on principal, but ya know, if I get hungry enough, I may just stop and eat breakfast there.

#14 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:10 AM

Okay now you're talkin'....love my 'eggamuffin' and used to have it about once a month, then switched to BoJangles biscuit b'fast when they opened close by. Then I saw Supersize me and that totally turned me OFF of MD's. But when traveling out of town in early morning, I think I may get an eggamuffin (no bread) and hashbrowns. My MD's staff are intelectually challenged so I have to ban them still but the one I visit in TN occasionally is better.
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

#15 StrongerToday

StrongerToday

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:29 AM

What I wouldn't to for a Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuit... <_<