This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Please Help Im So Sick!

skinnyminny

skinnyminny Enthusiast

I have known I have Celiac for 5 years.. I do really well on the diet hardly ever eat fast food but the occasional wendys, We cook Most every meal at home.. Tonight for dinner my mom made Chicken legs in buttermilk, rice flour, and fried them in Canola oil Plain green beans I have eaten before, Corn from the bag on the cob.. I am so sick now does anyone know anything to help me feel better, I hate it when this happens and would love to be able to take something to relive my symptoms, I have terrible belches and Iv thrown up! If anyone has any suggestions why I am sick please help!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

paulasimone Rookie

i'm so sorry you're sick! that sounds miserable. and your poor mom must feel awful.

i'll throw out some possible causes, but i dont' know if they'll be useful at all:

is throwing up a usual gluten reaction for you?

if not, maybe the chicken was off, or not cooked enough.

or maybe the buttermilk was off. or any of the ingredients really - could just be usual food poisoning?

OR

i know a lot of people have had cc issues with flours/meals (though seems like the most problems are associated with corn meal) - is the rice flour from a facility that also puts out wheat flour?

OR

are all the kitchen surfaces, pots/pans, utensils, cutting boards, colanders, plates and glasses that your mom used completely gluten-free? no possible trace of gluten?

OTHER RANDOM QUESTIONS, what did you have to drink? and did the bag of corn cobs have any additives? did your mom switch dishwashing liquids (i just found out the one i'd been using had gluten in it and had to rewash *everything*)? did you feed any pets, i.e. stick your hand in a gluten-y food bag? new lipstick/lip gloss? toothpaste?

okay, that's all i've got - you probably thought of all those already anyway. in any case, good luck! i hope you feel better soon! i am not a good thrower-upper myself - lots of sympathy. oh - ginger tea helps settle my tummy. if you don't like it warm, just put it on ice. if you don't have a ginger tea bag, you can also just put ginger powder/root/minced in water and make an infusion - same thing.

feel better,

paula

Guest Robbin

Paula pretty much covered everything I would say. Is anyone else sick? Have you been around anyone who was sick in the past few days or week? Also, check the buttermilk carton for any additives ---just fishing around here. Was the chicken fresh or did it have any marinade? Hope you feel better SOON!! :)

key Contributor

I take dramamine and it seems to help with the nausea. I also take Pepto bismol. Is this a normal reaction when you get gluten? Could it be a stomach virus?

Hope you feel better soon.

Monica

Guest nini

I react that way sometimes to rice, which is a bummer because I love rice. Corn is also really hard to digest, and some Celiacs can't tolerate corn at all.

Pepto Bismol chewables are great when I get feeling like this... sip on water, don't feel like you have to eat if you aren't hungry and let your tummy settle. When you do feel like eating, start with something simple like a banana or applesauce. A hot water bottle on the tummy can also work wonders. Rest when you can. Hope you feel better soon.

skinnyminny Enthusiast

Thank you all for the help and suggestions,

I am not feeling much better this morning I have eaten a peanut butter banna and it usually helps if I am quesy but I am still feeling sick... The only possibility is the pan, it probably a very very long time ago had something gluten fried in in.. we NEVER fry things so I am thinkin its the pan or the oil somehow, We have used the buttermilk before without any trouble, and the corn was straight from the cob corn was the only ingridents.. My mom mentioned her stomach felt bad in the night maybe it was bad chicken but.. This is how I react to gluten, Imediatly after I ate I began terrible belching.. My brothers tease me it sounds like demmons are coming out and then I threw up after that, my head hurts this morning, but I came on to school.. its hard to just have a "sick day" in college! the only reason I wanna figure out the problem is I dont want this to happen again! thank you all though for the helpful suggestions.. Its so hard to know when you are Celiac Sick or just plain sick.. but I do beilive this is a gluten reaction.!

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

Did you say GREEN BEANS?

I thought I was okay with LEGUMES for about 5 years until I had a food allergy test and came back SOY was a major food allery for me. SOY is in the legume family along with green beans. Soy cause my thyoid problem. My doc (that I trust confirmed) it again yesterday.

I am also one of those celica's with a problem with corn. It began about 8 years ago with pop corn I becan having seizure with pop corn after the 3 time I stopped popped corn.

Hope you are feeling better!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 9 months later...
deepvalley Newbie

It is entirely possible that you could have had some reaction to the canola oil. It has been advised that people with gluten intolerance avoid this oil as their have been some reactions. I would guess that canola could be like soy oil. Soy oil is acceptable but some people who use it frequently will develop a sensitivity to it and have some GI distress.

Also, sometimes the buttermilk does not always work in some recipes. I know that I am careful as to how I use it. Then there is always the outside chance that the chicken was bad as other stated. I have also been told by a dietician that chicken is one meat that seems to have chemicals in it and many celiacs do not do well with it.

And another issue that is often forgotten is the fact that people with celiac disease can have problems with foods that are too fatty. Home fried chicken is one item that can be very greasy and cause issues. Hopefully this will not happen to you again. deepvalley

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I'm so sorry to hear you are not feeling well.

When I get glutened I'll sometimes drink some Pepto Bismol. It doesn't help much but I think it's a mental aspect. I find putting a heating pad on my tummy eases some of the pain.

Viola 1 Rookie

I have big problems with Canola oil. I use either Olive oil or Grapeseed oil.

Sure hope you are feeling better quickly. Not a nice way to start off the New Year :(

jerseyangel Proficient

I get problems with canola oil, too. It took me the longest time to figure that out.

I use olive oil most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...
GammaRae Newbie

I definitely have issues with Canola. It affects my DH crazy bad, almost instantly. This is one that took awhile to figure out, too.

sspitzer5 Apprentice
I definitely have issues with Canola. It affects my DH crazy bad, almost instantly. This is one that took awhile to figure out, too.

A few weeks ago I heard that canola is often grown in the same fields as wheat and that Celiacs react due to the cross contamination. I have no idea whether this is true or not, a Celiac-aware chef told me. Anyone know if this is really the case?

S

• 3 weeks later...
GammaRae Newbie
A few weeks ago I heard that canola is often grown in the same fields as wheat and that Celiacs react due to the cross contamination. I have no idea whether this is true or not, a Celiac-aware chef told me. Anyone know if this is really the case?

S

I suspect the issue IS cross-contamination, but it seems very prevalent, so I avoid canola all together.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

If I'm not mistaken, there is no such thing as a "canola" plant...canola oil is made from rapeseed? Which is grown LIKE wheat, but I'm not sure if they are grown near each other. I'm sure it's really possible.

Archived