16 replies to this topic

#1 patticake

patticake

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:47 AM

I have been hearing mixed opinions on Pillsbury Funfetti frostings. The label lists soy and they do not know the source of the flavorings. Does anyone know for sure? Is it a yes or a no? Thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:28 AM

Pillsbury's number is (800) 767-4466. They had a gluten free list, but they don't plan on updating it. You're supposed to call with specific product questions. Hope that helps.
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#3 mmaccartney

mmaccartney

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:39 PM

There may be more, but for these I know that they are gluten and dairy free.

Pillsbury "Creamy Supreme" Frosting

Vanilla - UPC: 51500 76080
Chocolate - UPC: 51500-76050

Pillsbury tells me that they are gluten and dairy free. I cannot recall if they are on dedicated lines or not, but for such a common flavor sold all over the USA I can't imagine they wouldn't have dedicated lines...but check it out for yourself!! 1-800-767-4466

My sons and I have not yet had a reaction to these and we've been eating them for about 6 months now! (I hope I didn't just jinx myself!)
Michael J. MacCartney

gluten-free 2005-June-24 Dairy free 2005-July-26
gluten / casein intolerant
HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,7)
Diagnosed Celiac 2006-April-24

Father of:
Michael II HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,6) - Allergic to Peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, and milk
William HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5) - Allergy free

#4 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:19 PM

I use Pillsbury frosting alot and alot of theirs is gluten free
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#5 patticake

patticake

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:24 PM

I called them on Monday and they informed me that right now they do not have any ingredients for their "natural and artificial flavorings". They stated that they would onlly have to list wheat and there is no info for rye, barley and oats. I have always eaten it but someone told me that it wasn't gluten-free. Thanks.

I have been hearing mixed opinions on Pillsbury Funfetti frostings. The label lists soy and they do not know the source of the flavorings. Does anyone know for sure? Is it a yes or a no? Thank you.

#6 alissar

alissar

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:20 AM

I made a gluten-free vanilla cake last night and used Pillsbury Chocolate Fudge Funfetti frosting thinking it was gluten-free. I woke up with very swollen eyelids this morning. So, I am guessing there was some gluten in the frosting. Does anyone know for sure? I tried to call the # on the label to find out but got a recording.

#7 buffettbride

buffettbride

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:31 AM

We've used the vanilla funfetti with no problems and the same for the plan vanilla. It's our go-to frosting.

#8 nocommente

nocommente

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:01 AM

Does Funfetti icing have sprinkles? Those are a potential problem, some sprinkles contain gluten.

#9 buffettbride

buffettbride

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:06 AM

Funfetti Frosting Ingredients

Frosting: Sugar, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Soybean, Cottonseed)Water, Corn Syrup, Corn Starch, Salt, Monoglycerides, Artificial Flavor, Colored with Artificial Color, Yellow No. 5, Red No. 40)Modified Corn Starch, Polysorbate 60, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative)Soy Lecithin, Citric Acid.

Candy Bits: Sugar, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Soybean, Cottonseed)Corn Starch, Confectioners Shellac, Modified Corn Starch, Colored with Yellow No. 5, Red No. 40, Blue No. 1, Yellow No. 6)

There's NOTHING in here that screams gluten and my very sensitive Celiac daughter eats this frosting like, um, well, candy.

If you have issues with soy or coloring agents, I can see how it would be problematic, but there are no gluten ingredients in this product.

#10 MamaLex

MamaLex

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:18 PM

PILLSBURY CONFETTI FUNFETTI IS NOT GLUTEN FREE!

My daughter and I both have celiac. I made a gluten free cake and used Pillsbury's Vanilla Confetti Funfetti frosting. She was asleep when it was ready so my husband and I each had a piece before her- luckily! It made me VERY sick.

I figured that it must have been the sprinkles since we have eaten Pillsbury frosting before with no problem. So when my daughter was disappointed that we couldn't eat the cake, we had some of the PLAIN frosting that hadn't been used. It made us BOTH sick! Usually my daughter is VERY insensitive to gluten whereas I can tell very quickly if I have eaten some.

Do not use this frosting!

#11 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:34 AM

The frosting looks absolutely gluten-free. I have never ever seen gluten in artificial flavors and there are no natural flavors in the ingredients.

richard

#12 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,768 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:07 AM

If you want ready made frosting and are leery of the Pillsbury just go with Duncan Hines. Their gluten-free frostings are labeled gluten free on the container.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#13 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:40 AM

PILLSBURY CONFETTI FUNFETTI IS NOT GLUTEN FREE!

My daughter and I both have celiac. I made a gluten free cake and used Pillsbury's Vanilla Confetti Funfetti frosting. She was asleep when it was ready so my husband and I each had a piece before her- luckily! It made me VERY sick.

I figured that it must have been the sprinkles since we have eaten Pillsbury frosting before with no problem. So when my daughter was disappointed that we couldn't eat the cake, we had some of the PLAIN frosting that hadn't been used. It made us BOTH sick! Usually my daughter is VERY insensitive to gluten whereas I can tell very quickly if I have eaten some.

Do not use this frosting!

Please be careful when you post things like this on here. Just because you reacted from it, doesn't mean that it was because of gluten. I'm not saying that this particular frosting is or isn't gluten free, because while nothing in the ingrediants screams gluten, I haven't checked with the company but I don't know for a fact the status. Just be careful that you're not spreading false information just because you had a negative experience, I love to hear about everyone's experiences but this disease is too difficult to not have all the facts!

#14 MelindaLee

MelindaLee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:34 PM

Betty Crocker's frostings say gluten-free on the label! :D

#15 heartNsole

heartNsole

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

I just called Pillsbury, with the number locted on the back of the frosting container. The lady was extremely nice and understood my concerns. I gve her the barcode of the frosting container so she could make sure she had the exact type of frosting. She was then able to look up exactly what is in the frosting and the sprinkles. The frosting has no gluten or traces of gluten. She was not just looking for wheat, as she listed out other forms of gluten as well. However, the funfetti sprinkles that are in a seperate container on the lid may have gluten in them. So if you use this frosting...the frosting is gluten free but the sprinkles may contain gluten. Also, she stated that Pillsbury just came out with gluten free frosting that will state "gluten free".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: