This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Amy, I Thought You Were My Friend!

penguin

Glutened by Amy's!  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

penguin Community Regular

I know there've been posts about Amy's and glutening, and I remember someone calling the company about it, how did that turn out?

I've tried 3 things by Amy's, two were near the beginning, and one was today. There was one in my freezer and I was too lazy to make anything else for lunch. I was definitely glutened, and I really know that now that I know exactly what gluten does to me. The one today was the Santa Fe Enchilada Bowl.

Now I can't feel my face and I spent 10 minutes in the bathroom at work :ph34r:

And I'm stoned again :wacko:

Who needs Amsterdam?

Is there anyone that hasn't had problems? I don't have any other intolerances or allergies, except for tree nuts (and that's oral allergy syndrome anyway). What should I do, other than not eat them anymore? Does the company really care?

I hate that products labelled gluten-free really mean "not as likely to have gluten" :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Chelsea--Sorry you're feeling so bad today :( . It's really maddening to be going along just fine and then--bam! I don't have any input on the Amy's--haven't tried any of them as the stories of CC have scared me off :ph34r: Feel better!

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I tried Amy's shepherd's pie and got glutened. Didn't buy anything more from Amy's after that.

Hope you feel better soon!

Hugs.

Karen

kabowman Explorer

I gave up Amy's because I kept getting sick. Didn't bother to call the company...just not buying their products.

bluelotus Contributor

Sorry you are sick. I believe that one of their pasta sauces, labeled gluten-free/DF, made me ill. I called them and they are currently testing some sauce from that batch. I haven't heard back yet though. I'm not planning on buying any more of their products either at this point.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I haven't had their products in a long time. I suspect that some of their products made me sick.

terps19 Contributor
I know there've been posts about Amy's and glutening, and I remember someone calling the company about it, how did that turn out?

I've tried 3 things by Amy's, two were near the beginning, and one was today. There was one in my freezer and I was too lazy to make anything else for lunch. I was definitely glutened, and I really know that now that I know exactly what gluten does to me. The one today was the Santa Fe Enchilada Bowl.

Now I can't feel my face and I spent 10 minutes in the bathroom at work :ph34r:

And I'm stoned again :wacko:

Who needs Amsterdam?

Is there anyone that hasn't had problems? I don't have any other intolerances or allergies, except for tree nuts (and that's oral allergy syndrome anyway). What should I do, other than not eat them anymore? Does the company really care?

I hate that products labelled gluten-free really mean "not as likely to have gluten" :angry:

Yeah I tried something of Amy's once and it gave me the worst bathroom time in a long time. Blech.

I think everyone needs a little Amsterdam every once in a while B)

I dont think I am ever going to try an Amy's product again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

I ONLY eat Amy's Mac N Cheese (and do so religiously)

I have never had a problem with the Mac...

I kinda thought the other stuff looked "grody" anyway...

jenvan Collaborator

I have eaten several types many times and have no issues. Amy's is moving several of their gluten-free products to a dedicated facility or line (can't remember which!) in the future...

Guest cassidy

I got glutened by the rice mac n cheese and the santa fe bowl. I called them twice, the first call wasn't returned. I talked to someone who seemed like she held a high position with the company. She said that they don't get many complaints. So, I urge anyone who has been glutened to call. I had bought like 7 meals at once and she reimbursed me for all of them. I got a handwritten note and cash, which I thought was a little strange.

She told me that some of their products were going to be produced in a facility that didn't contain wheat. Those products should be in stores in June. I believe it is the mac n cheese, pizza and a new pasta w/tomato sauce type of thing, but please check before you try them.

Sorry you got sick, but please call them. Maybe if they know what a big problem they have they will try to be more careful about it.

zip2play Apprentice
I got a handwritten note and cash, which I thought was a little strange.
]

OH my goodness the CASH is really odd!

I have a box of the mac n cheese, but haven't tried it yet!

Monica

I just emailed them that I felt betrayed and that I would likely not be buying any more of their products, and how sad it made me. It really does, because the food is yummy! :(:angry:<_<

jerseyangel Proficient

I remember reading a while back that someone else got cash back when they complained about getting sick.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Cash? That's really, really strange!

I don't know of any reputable company that wouldn't send you a money order or cheque as refund your money.

Was the note on any type of letterhead?

Karen

wolfie Enthusiast

I posted a couple weeks ago about the enchilada bowl and being glutened too! I am sorry that you are feeling bad :( I won't be buying any more Amy's for now and I really like the rice mac & cheese, but not enough to feel that way again.

Hope you are feeling better soon!!!

key Contributor

Now you are freaking me out. I just bought and ate her Vegan chilli today and I swear if I get sick, I am going to scream!! I specifically bought it, because I just don't know who I can trust anymore. I have felt sick from her enchilada's before and just haven't eaten them, because I was pretty sure they made me sick, but every product. Someone posted here awhile ago saying that they had called about a specific product and that they test stuff. I am scared of all beans in a can, because they all say that they are manufactured in a facility that had wheat. What beans do you get?? I actually really liked the chili today, but if I get sick, I will no longer eat any of her stuff.

Monica

hez Enthusiast

I eat several of Amy's soups and frozen foods. I have not gotten glutened by them. I think with alot of processed food our risk for cc is high. It still sucks! Hope you feel better soon.

Hez

Guest nini

I was glutened by the rice crust cheese pizza not so long ago... very upsetting because I LOVE Amy's stuff. I used to eat it all the time when I worked full time. But now that I'm on part time, I don't need to eat lunches at work anymore. My daughter still loves their rice mac and cheese, but I'm afraid to get it for her now.

key Contributor

THis actually makes me very angry! If they aren't gluten free, then by all means don't put Gluten free right on the can or package in BOLD letters!!! It is negligent! I am trying SO hard to be healthy and I am tired of getting sick. If I get gluten I have D for a day and then C for two weeks and cramping etc. It is Miserable! It affects my whole life. This should be against the law. We have to do something about companies like this.

Does anyone else feel this way or am I just nuts!

Monica

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Does anyone else feel this way or am I just nuts!
I am also upset that companies label products gluten free when they aren't always 100% gluten free. The most common products that people seem to react to are Amy's and Bob's Red Mill.
Becky6 Enthusiast

I got glutened by their tofu scrambler. I have had a few other things and been fine. But am scared to try anything else now.

paulasimone Rookie

it looks like Amy's is paying attention to this issue.

they now have 2 separate gluten designations for their products (on their website, though apparently the products on shelves are still the old version):

1. "no gluten ingredients" (still potential for cross-contamination)

"Products that are formulated without any gluten containing ingredients but are made in a processing area that may contain gluten."

here's the list (it includes the enchiladas, shepherd's pie, indian food, etc etc.)

Open Original Shared Link

2. "gluten-free"

the only one listed so far is Rice Crust Pizza. someone else on this thread said they were told that Amy's is expanding into a gluten-free facility in June? so presumably then they would add more stuff here.

good luck,

paula

:)

That was quick! Here's the response I got from Amy's...

Chelsea,

I am sorry to hear you became ill after eating some of our products. I

would like to talk to you about this in more detail. Did you save the

packages for these four products? If so, I would like to get the lot

numbers so I can send in our retains for testing.

Could you send me your phone number and suggest a time I could call.

Please respond to both e-mail addresses so I can get your phone number

both here at Amy's and at my home (I don't want to take a chance of

missing your e-mail).

I am looking forward to talking with you.

Kind regards,

Marsha Kopral

Technical Service

I didn't save the other 3 boxes, but I saved the one today. Let's see where this takes us...

Carriefaith Enthusiast

That was a very nice e-mail.

Becky6 Enthusiast

That was a great response!

Archived