13 replies to this topic

#1 terps19

terps19

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:11 PM

Has anyone found any gluten free casien free probiotics? I am looking for a high quality probiotic that is Gluten-free Casein-free... a lot contain whey or lactose. I think primal defense is the only one that doesnt contain gluten or casein that I have found.
Dx'd with Ulcerative Colitis March 05
New GI doctor not convinced I have UC but maybe Microscopic Colitis
Dx'd With gluten and casien sensativity through Enterolab
Gluten score was 40 and casein score was 16.
Ready to feel better through a gluten-free/CF diet!

GO TERPS

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:01 PM

I think primal defense is the only one that doesnt contain gluten or casein that I have found.

Wait, I thought primal defense had gluten in it in the form of barley.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#3 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:10 PM

I use BioK
Gluten-free, Vegan

#4 jnclelland

jnclelland

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:22 AM

I use Jar-o-dophilus, and I'm pretty sure it's Gluten-free Casein-free.

Jeanne

#5 Becky6

Becky6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:24 AM

I use the CVS brand and it is gluten-free, cf and free of some other stuff as well!

#6 Kasey'sMom

Kasey'sMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:41 PM

The best probiotic I've found is from USA Labs. I always keep mine in the refrigerator. Also, for anyone that has children...they have a Jr. version that's in a powder base of rice starch. It's the only one that is gluten-free, df, & soy free that I've ever found. Often the childrens tablets have soy, sugar etc. in them. I use the probioplus DDS version.

Here's the website....
http://www.uaslabs.c...red_product.php

Just scroll down for more info......
http://www.wholeappr...rod007.html#118

#7 terps19

terps19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:59 PM

The best probiotic I've found is from USA Labs. I always keep mine in the refrigerator. Also, for anyone that has children...they have a Jr. version that's in a powder base of rice starch. It's the only one that is gluten-free, df, & soy free that I've ever found. Often the childrens tablets have soy, sugar etc. in them. I use the probioplus DDS version.

Here's the website....
http://www.uaslabs.c...red_product.php

Just scroll down for more info......
http://www.wholeappr...rod007.html#118

I was under the impression that Fructooligosaccharides (FOS) were bad because they promoted the growth of bad bacteria... am I wrong about that?

GO TERPS

#8 terps19

terps19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 02:24 PM

Wait, I thought primal defense had gluten in it in the form of barley.

I just got this off of the primal defense webpage:

"Primal Defense™ is a probiotic product made up of Homeostatic Soil Organisms™ (HSOs), predigested green super foods, and ionic minerals. It is available in caplets or powder form. One caplet is equal to one level scoop of powder and breakdown occurs in less than 15 minutes. You can test this yourself in a glass of water. Primal Defense™ is a vegetarian product and is gluten free. "

For more reading:

http://www.nuvobody....ense_info2.aspx

GO TERPS

#9 Kasey'sMom

Kasey'sMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:53 PM

terps19,
I'm still learning as well....One of the websites I gave you in my previous posts was from "Whole Approach." Their a company and support group that deal with candida overgrowth. Tarilee is the health professional that moderates the forum. I've attached a couple of posts were she speaks about FOS. I guess it's like a lot of things...it depends on which side of the fence your on. :lol: I'm glad you mentioned it, I've learned a lot by reading through the posts as well! :D

I think the issue is synthetic vs. natural sources of FOS. :unsure:

http://wholeapproach...4471#8636034471

This is a post that you may have to scroll down some. There's a post by Tarilee and pbitter that were helpful to me. http://wholeapproach...7574#6676017574

I think most of the natural FOS is derived from chicory root. Lately it seems like chicory root is showing up in lots of gluten free mixes such as Pamela's Amazing Bread Mix and her Luscious Chocolate Cake Mix. I know this is limited info. but I don't have long to type tonight. Hope this helps..... :)

#10 teankerbell

teankerbell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:20 PM

I was using Acidophilus Pearls™
by Enzymatic Therapy:

I am Casein intolerant Lactobacillus acidophilus - what is that?! :unsure:

I use the CVS brand and it is gluten-free, cf and free of some other stuff as well!

I think the CVS brand has Lactobacillus acidophilus in it. Isn't that a form of dairy?
Laura
Started SCD 3/16/06

Diagnosed by Enterolab 2/06/06
IgA & tTg Positive, Malabsorption negative
HLA-DQB1, 0303 0302
Casein IgA positive
gluten-free 2/8/06
Celiac Blood Panel Normal 2/13/06
Rheumatoid Arthritis 7/05

#11 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:25 PM

My brand says this on it's FAQ:

"I am lactose intolerant and allergic to milk protein. Can i still use Bio-K+ ?
Yes. In fact, research shows that a daily consumption of fermented dairy foods containing selected bacteria strains can reduce symptoms of lactose intolerance and dairy allergies. This happens because the lactose is fragmented or "predigested" by the friendly bacteria and their production of digestive enzymes. However, it is recommmended that those concerned, start off with 1 tsp. The first day and increase gradually to one full bottle a day, according to the suggested consumption.

I am alergic to casein. Can i still use Bio-K+ ?
Yes, casein is predigested and transformed by the bacteria into peptides wich are easier to assimilate. Also, casein is not to be confused with Lb. casei, the special strain found in Bio-K+. Lb. casei is one of the two active friendly bacteria in Bio-K+.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#12 Becky6

Becky6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 06:45 PM

The CVS brand: It says no milk, or lactose right on the front. And when I googled lactobacillus acidophilus this is what I got.

Lactobacillus acidophilus (L. acidophilus) is the most commonly used probiotic, or "friendly" bacteria. Such healthy bacteria inhabit the intestines and vagina and protect against the entrance and proliferation of "bad" organisms that can cause disease. This is accomplished through a variety of mechanisms. For example, the breakdown of food by L. acidophilus leads to production of lactic acid, hydrogen peroxide, and other byproducts that make the environment hostile for undesired organisms. L. acidophilus also produces lactase, the enzyme that breaks down milk sugar (lactose) into simple sugars. People who are lactose intolerant do not produce this enzyme. For this reason, L. acidophilus supplements may be beneficial for these individuals.

#13 teankerbell

teankerbell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 06:49 PM

The CVS brand: It says no milk, or lactose right on the front. And when I googled lactobacillus acidophilus this is what I got.

Lactobacillus acidophilus (L. acidophilus) is the most commonly used probiotic, or "friendly" bacteria. Such healthy bacteria inhabit the intestines and vagina and protect against the entrance and proliferation of "bad" organisms that can cause disease. This is accomplished through a variety of mechanisms. For example, the breakdown of food by L. acidophilus leads to production of lactic acid, hydrogen peroxide, and other byproducts that make the environment hostile for undesired organisms. L. acidophilus also produces lactase, the enzyme that breaks down milk sugar (lactose) into simple sugars. People who are lactose intolerant do not produce this enzyme. For this reason, L. acidophilus supplements may be beneficial for these individuals.

Thank you!

That helps.
Laura
Started SCD 3/16/06

Diagnosed by Enterolab 2/06/06
IgA & tTg Positive, Malabsorption negative
HLA-DQB1, 0303 0302
Casein IgA positive
gluten-free 2/8/06
Celiac Blood Panel Normal 2/13/06
Rheumatoid Arthritis 7/05

#14 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:29 PM

I just got this off of the primal defense webpage:

"Primal Defense™ is a probiotic product made up of Homeostatic Soil Organisms™ (HSOs), predigested green super foods, and ionic minerals. It is available in caplets or powder form. One caplet is equal to one level scoop of powder and breakdown occurs in less than 15 minutes. You can test this yourself in a glass of water. Primal Defense™ is a vegetarian product and is gluten free. "

This is good news! I'm holding a bottle of it right now and it lists barley grass as the first ingredient - they must have changed their "recipe" since I bought it. My bottle also says "100% vegetarian", but not "gluten-free".
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: