This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Milk!

VydorScope

penguin Community Regular
Assuming its even lactose thats a problem.... :huh: I just dunno any more... I would swear this is gluten, cept it happened with int minutes of drinking milk, but this is the worst I have flet in a long time.

Didn't you say it was chocolate milk?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
Didn't you say it was chocolate milk?

I added hersy's yes

Ursa Major Collaborator

Vincent, I ate Hershey's dark chocolate (not chocolate milk, but a chocolate bar) about three weeks ago, and got glutened symptoms within half an hour, and felt bad all day the next day (diarrhea, gas and feeling weird). I think it was the soy lecithin, but can't be sure.

jerseyangel Proficient

I had a terrible reaction from Hershey's syrup--and I know it was the syrup because the first time it happened, I had it drizzled over a banana. Got really sick, like gluten. Had it again and the same thing happened. Anyway, Vincent--I'm so sorry you got so sick :( . I wish I never suggested the Lactaid--please don't be mad :ph34r:

denipark Newbie

Man, so many pieces to the puzzle. I sure hope you feel better soon, Vincent. How reliable are the skin tests? More or less than the blood tests? My daughter's fecal test from enterolab rated a 45 and her blood test result was a .39 - the positive reading begins at .35 for milk allergy.

Take care,

Denise

VydorScope Proficient

I dunno.. the doc seemed to think they were good.

Well I guess that I will get the lactid milk stuff and this time not add herys to be safe... but ugh Im a bit gun shy now. Ugh... hopefully this passes soon.

trents Grand Master

Seldom is someone totally lactose intolerant. Most adults who have a problem with milk sugar still make some of the digestive enzyme (lactase) and it may be just a matter of reducing the amount of noncultured milk products you use or adding some of the commercial enzyme products to them.

Try some different brands of soy milk. They vary tremendously in how they taste. I tried some at work today and it wasn't very good. The brand Costco sells (do you have a Costco store nearby?) is very tasty in my opinion. Maybe its just a matter of giving yourself time to get used to it. I remember switching over from whole milk to skim milk some years ago. At first the skim milk tasted like chalk water. I made myself use it, however, and now it's the other way around. Now, when I try to drink whole milk it seems so rich it almost makes me sick.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jnkmnky Collaborator
Seldom is someone totally lactose intolerant. Most adults who have a problem with milk sugar still make some of the digestive enzyme (lactase) and it may be just a matter of reducing the amount of noncultured milk products you use or adding some of the commercial enzyme products to them.

Try some different brands of soy milk. They vary tremendously in how they taste. I tried some at work today and it wasn't very good. The brand Costco sells (do you have a Costco store nearby?) is very tasty in my opinion. Maybe its just a matter of giving yourself time to get used to it. I remember switching over from whole milk to skim milk some years ago. At first the skim milk tasted like chalk water. I made myself use it, however, and now it's the other way around. Now, when I try to drink whole milk it seems so rich it almost makes me sick.

I've read that most people in the world are lactose intolerant. That Americans are the rare ones who actually consume dairy throughout their lifetime. Most countries do NOT have Dairy farming or use dairy. Americans have the highest percentage of bone breaks, hip fractures and osteoporosis in the world and are the largest consumers of dairy products in the world.

Open Original Shared Link

The last two paragraphs are really telling.

jenvan Collaborator

To add to what jnkmnky wrote... We are human, but still belong to the "animal kingdom" and we are the only mammals that continue to consume milk after infancy. Hmmmm.... :)

VydorScope Proficient
To add to what jnkmnky wrote... We are human, but still belong to the "animal kingdom" and we are the only mammals that continue to consume milk after infancy. Hmmmm.... :)

We are also the only animal to devople fire... should we give that up to? :lol:

Jnkmnky Collaborator

There are tons of web sites devoted to the milk issue. You can google them all day long. I think the truth is that Americans have been so brain washed into this idea that you NEED milk or your children will have broken bones that they can't imagine a daily life without the stuff.

Open Original Shared Link

I told a friend I was eliminating dairy from my kid's diet and she was so worried about their bones. The look on her face was that one that accuses you of being a bad mother! :rolleyes: There was no convincing her that my kids would get MORE calcium from the foods they ate by eliminating dairy. And she's an educated woman, the wife of a doctor, with two kids of her own. Just completely brainwashed by our dairy industry.

Like one of my links asked..... Where are the Dairy cows getting their Calcium?????? The grass and grains they consume! They're not drinking milk!! :)

jerseyangel Proficient

My personal take on milk is that it is for baby cows. Even cows, after infancy, don't drink it--and they manage to make all that milk! I don't think humans were "built" to drink the milk of another species. Cow's milk was designed to make a 50 lb. calf grow into a 300 lb. cow in 6 months. The reason that the MDR of calcium is so high is because they assume people are getting their calcium from dairy, and are only absorbing a small amout of it after digestion. I have been off dairy since July 2004. In that time, my face has come to look different. B) The artifical bloat is gone. I wish my family would embrace dairy free, but they enjoy their ice cream too much. My younger son is lactose intolerant, and uses Lactaid. I feel he'd be better off just not eating things he needs help digesting. At least they respected my decision to go dairy free--good practice for gluten-free :D .

VydorScope Proficient

My personal take on milk is that I use it in my ceral and eat ice cream, cause get this... IT TASTES GOOD. Lots of stuff we all eat, candy for example, is bad for us to varius degress. :D :D

BUT looks like no more tasty ice cream for me. :(

prinsessa Contributor

I am one of those people who thinks that milk isn't good for you in large quantities. Unfortunately I love it :( . I am thinking about giving it up to see if that could cause a problem on top of the gluten. Soy milk isn't bad in coffee, but I just can't stand it in cereal. I rather just give up cereal. My DD isn't crazy about milk and only has it with cereal or hot chocolate. My son isn't big on cow's milk either (he prefers mommy milk instead :P). I try to tell my husband that he might be lactose intolerant (because he has lots of stomach problems he won't admit to), but he thinks that I am wrong. I don't know why he won't even try to give up milk products for a while to see how he feels.

Guest BERNESES

VydorScope- You are a hoot!

jenvan Collaborator

Damn Vincent! :)

(Only if its detrimental to our health)

Patty and Jnkmnky--I do agree with what you've said. There was quite a bit of discussion on similarities in effects of milk to gluten in Dangerous Grains...did you read that? My affinity for smacking down marketing milk-pushers aside though...I would be eating cheese right now if I could :D

Canadian Karen Community Regular

My problem is that I just love the stuff so much.

The closest I can get to Utopia (other than the obvious, of course, which involves Altoids..... ;):D ) is guzzling a huge ice cold glass of milk, not even coming up for air until it is all done. Nothing quenches my thirst better.........

Karen

Archived