This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Non-soy Non-dairy Milks? Whats Safe?

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient
OMG!!!!!! Vincent, your son is TOOOO cute! :)

Oh, wait.... EDIT... That's some kid named Joshua> WHo's Joshua? :blink: I thought it was your son. Oh, well- this kid is adorable too! :lol:

You lost me... whos joshua? My avatar is my son's picture....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jnkmnky Collaborator
You lost me... whos joshua? My avatar is my son's picture....

OH GEEZ.... it's a bible quote? right? This is scary.... cuz I've had my morning coffee and I'm still confused! :lol:

Your son is so cute!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Oh! You have Joshua written below your sons picture. And your son is adorable!

VydorScope Proficient

LOL sorry, I guess thats to vague I will look in to chaging it ...

Corrine Rookie

If I could make a suggetion, my daughter has many allergies to fruits and veggies. We found this out just after her diagnoses as our doctor ordered allergy testing for her. Her allergies go under the birch/alder family. All her fruits/veggies must be cooked and rotated. She has celiac on the surpreme scale of sensativity. Getting allergy testing should go along with a diagnoses. She cannot eat almonds, so almond milk would make her sick. We use Natura rice milk. She can tolerate milk in small amounts. Most find out what they can tolerate by elimination. Hope you feel better.

Corrine

lonewolf Collaborator
Almond Breeze has soy in it, I believe. Natura has a rice milk with no soy, dairy, or gluten.

Almond Breeze just has a small amount of soy lecithin, which even the Food Allergy and Anaphylactic Network says is safe for most people with soy allergies. I avoid soy, but I don't worry about lecithin in such small amounts. That said, I really like Almond Breeze. It has WAY less carbs that any brand of rice milk and tastes better than most. I like to mix the unsweetened vanilla flavored with the regular vanilla flavored and it's delicious without being too sweet.

terps19 Contributor
Almond Breeze just has a small amount of soy lecithin, which even the Food Allergy and Anaphylactic Network says is safe for most people with soy allergies. I avoid soy, but I don't worry about lecithin in such small amounts. That said, I really like Almond Breeze. It has WAY less carbs that any brand of rice milk and tastes better than most. I like to mix the unsweetened vanilla flavored with the regular vanilla flavored and it's delicious without being too sweet.

No one has a problem with the carrageenan in those products?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Almond Breeze has soy in it, I believe. Natura has a rice milk with no soy, dairy, or gluten.

Carriefaith--Do you think the soy lethitin in almond breeze is ok to drink?people on here don't seem to think that it's a big deal..I don't have a soy dx allergy..just not eating it...I haven't had any allergy testing.

I wrote a long post but guess i didn't push the right buttoms lost it....I did a search of the Natura and couldn't find it by 'googleing it'

I'm ok just was so upset when i saw this post yesteday about the soy in MY MILK...

ANY INSIGHTS

JUDY

lorka150 Collaborator

i've heard that soy lethicin is okay for those with a soy allergy. i drink almond breeze, but don't have a soy allergy. my friend, though, is very sensitive to soy and can drink almond breeze, too.

sorry, i know this isn't too much help.

maybe a little. :)

tarnalberry Community Regular
Okay I have some Almond milk from a company called pacific somthing... says gluten-free right on it, was the only one that had such a lable. I wanted to try a rice milk, but I could not think which were gluten-free, and being how bad I am currently feeling and how hard it is to think I just grabbed the almond milk and went home. So what brands can I look for next kroger trip? I cant even think what was on the shelf now. Probably should have grabed the Kroger brand one cause at least I cougld get my wife to call them.

I prefer Almond Breeze almond milk (TJ's carries it) but Pacific's is alright too...

Guest Robbin
If I could make a suggetion, my daughter has many allergies to fruits and veggies. We found this out just after her diagnoses as our doctor ordered allergy testing for her. Her allergies go under the birch/alder family. All her fruits/veggies must be cooked and rotated. She has celiac on the surpreme scale of sensativity. Getting allergy testing should go along with a diagnoses. She cannot eat almonds, so almond milk would make her sick. We use Natura rice milk. She can tolerate milk in small amounts. Most find out what they can tolerate by elimination. Hope you feel better.

Corrine

Corrine, My youngest son is like your daughter. I understand what you are going through. He is allergic to most fruits (except pears and pineapple & citus,) all tree nuts, soy, peanuts, dairy intolerant, has to have vegetables cooked only, and is gluten intolerant. Talk about a challenge, huh? It is harder for me to accept my kids having these problems a hundred- fold more than myself.

He uses rice milk--Lundberg Drink Rice brand. I also found some chocolate powder gfdf for hot chocolate/chocolate milk called Ah-laska organic cocoa mix. I use almond milk for myself and it is pretty good-Almond Breeze, already mentioned here. It is very good for coffee. :)

Vincent--hope you are better and find a good "milk" you like.

lonewolf Collaborator
No one has a problem with the carrageenan in those products?

I understand that carageenan might not be the best stuff in the world, but right now it's a minor problem in the grand scope of my life. Most people here probably feel the same. I already can't eat gluten, dairy, eggs, and soy, avoid sugar (mostly), pork, beef, hydrogenated fats, artificial colors and flavors, preservatives, sulfites, nitrites, etc. A person can only avoid so much and still find food to eat, especially when trying to feed a family.

VydorScope Proficient
I understand that carageenan might not be the best stuff in the world, but right now it's a minor problem in the grand scope of my life. Most people here probably feel the same. I already can't eat gluten, dairy, eggs, and soy, avoid sugar (mostly), pork, beef, hydrogenated fats, artificial colors and flavors, preservatives, sulfites, nitrites, etc. A person can only avoid so much and still find food to eat, especially when trying to feed a family.

Well siad!

BWT got the Kroger brand of rice milk.. WOW its sweet, are all rice milks this sweet?

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Carriefaith--Do you think the soy lethitin in almond breeze is ok to drink? people on here don't seem to think that it's a big deal..I don't have a soy dx allergy..just not eating it...I haven't had any allergy testing.

I wrote a long post but guess i didn't push the right buttoms lost it....I did a search of the Natura and couldn't find it by 'googleing it' I'm ok just was so upset when i saw this post yesteday about the soy in MY MILK...

ANY INSIGHTS JUDY

I'm glad that you're ok. I understand your frustration. I'm not sure what to think about the soy lethithin in the almond breeze. I think that it would be fine if we weren't allergic or intolerant to soy, but I would be careful of it if you thought that you may have an issue with soy.

Here are some links to Natur-a:

Open Original Shared Link

DO NATUR-A PRODUCTS CONTAIN ANY GLUTEN?

No. Neither Natur-a soy or rice beverages contain any gluten.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
I'm glad that you're ok. I understand your frustration. I'm not sure what to think about the soy lethithin in the almond breeze. I think that it would be fine if we weren't allergic or intolerant to soy, but I would be careful of it if you thought that you may have an issue with soy.

Here are some links to Natur-a:

DO NATUR-A PRODUCTS CONTAIN ANY GLUTEN?

No. Neither Natur-a soy or rice beverages contain any gluten.

THANKS SO MUCH CARIEFAITH

WHERE DO YOU GET IT SHOULD GO BACK ON THE SITE AND SEE BUT NEED TO GET OFF NOW.

JUDY ARE YOU WORRIED ABOUT THE CARRAGEENAN??? :ph34r:

i JUST THINK THERE IS JUST SO MUCH ELSE THAT COULD BE WORSE.HAVE TO FIND A THREAD ON ONE THESE THAT TALKED ABOUT IT...HUNT HUNT HUNT... :ph34r::blink::o:unsure:B)

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I get Natur-a produts at Sobey's, a local grocery store. Do you live in Canada or the US?

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
I get Natur-a produts at Sobey's, a local grocery store. Do you live in Canada or the US?

I live in the US outside of Philly in PA.

I'll look at the trader joes site.

probably Whole foods might have. I have never been there would you believe?

Judy--thanks for your help.

lorka150 Collaborator

hey, natur-a was on sale this morning for half price! i bought three cases. :) we go through it like wild fire.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
hey, natur-a was on sale this morning for half price! i bought three cases. :) we go through it like wild fire.

DO YOU GET THE RICE ONE W/O SOY

JUDY

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Hopefully it's on sale here too!

tarnalberry Community Regular

It's time for us all to make our own almond milk. :-P

lorka150 Collaborator

I am allergic to rice, so I get the unsweetened soy one.

Carrie - do you have the loblaws chain where you are? I got them at the Superstore, but they all have the same sales on, generally.

Archived