willow

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 12:58 AM

Hi,
I am new to the site and was wondeing if any of you have suffred
from insomnia. I was dx 3 years ago after going from dr to dr . I think celica has always been with me . I just thought going through this was just the way my body body works.Thanks for taking the time out to read my post.
Willow

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kejohe

kejohe

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 09:03 AM

Hi,
I'm not a diagnosed celiac, but my son is. I just recently posted in the "Sleep" section about kids sleep habits. My son is 3 y/o and still wakes up several times a night. I don't know if that is because of his celiac, or just because he's a 3 y/o kid, but either way, some of the replies I got made me wonder about insomnia being a heriditary thing, with or with out the celiac. I have been an insomniac nearly all my life, and I have a hard time taking aids to help me sleep, so I just try and deal with it, but I also have symptoms of celiac disease, it's just that my first blood test was neg, and I haven't pressed the matter. My mother also suffers from insoomnia from time to time, and she also has celiac disease symptoms.

I don't know if this is just babble or if it actualy helps, but in any case I wish you luck!
Kathleen
Son has been gluten-free since December 2001

#3 rsavage

rsavage

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 11:53 AM

:rolleyes: Dear Willow, I am a celiac, have ov course been all my life. Was finally diagnosed March 2002. I experienced such deep sleep before I became completely disabled with celiac that I would stop breathing. Since that time, when it got severe, I have been a chronic insomniac. I don't know if this is part of the disease, but I have personal thoughts that it is. I guess it is like we have heard before, we need more research. Anyway, my opinion for what it is worth. Royann

#4 judy04

judy04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 09:52 PM

Hi, I've had Insomnia for many years. I always attributed it to
Thyroid disease and/or menopause. However I think it may
also be another one of those symptoms that seem to vary from
person to persons with celiac disease and wheat allergy. I have been using Ambien
for several months, but I stopped a few weeks ago after tachycardia began
soon after ingesting it. I then looked it up in a reference book which
said it is not gluten-free and it contains wheat starch..
judy

gluten-free since 11/03, neg biopsy, IGA elevated

#5 flaxy

flaxy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 09:41 PM

[FONT=Times][SIZE=1]

i'm new to this group AND new to being diagnosed with celiac, though i have had it all my life. how do i know this? when i was two y/o, i had my first barium test because i always complained of tummy aches. i was born in '55, and i'm quite sure the medical world had no idea what celiac was, and the docs told my mother that it must be psychological because i had a new baby brother. (jealousy)
oh brother...my theory is: at two years old, i started eating more 'adult' food, like crackers, bread, cream o' wheat, cookies, etc. and my body freaked out.
the question at hand though was about insomnia. i have had insomnia all my life. i sleep often during the day to make up for the lack of sleep at night. oh, i know it just adds to the vicious circle, but those eye lids just keep falling...
for the most part it's okay for me to have a wacky sleeping pattern, because i'm disabled (not cuz of celiac) and only work part time. i have tried some sleeping aids like restoril which works, but i woke up with a giant headache (which would go away after about 20 min). i tried other sleeping pills which gave me horrible dreams...i hate most sleep pills, but have found something light like xanax, ativan or atirax (sp) makes me sleepy within 15 minutes for xanax, and longer for the others, and yes, i wake up a few times during the night, but without the initial aid, i wouldn't get to sleep at all... i don't know if this helps, i'm just trying to find my way around this place and this dialogue...
having just learned i have celiac, i sure am glad i love rice!

flaxy

#6 Laura

Laura

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 03:14 PM

I've had lifelong insomnia, but since it was from the first day my parents brought me home from the hospital, I don't see how it could be related to celiac disease since I'd not had any gluten then. (Before you feel too sorry for my parents, know that once I did get to sleep I slept through the night.)

#7 rsavage

rsavage

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 01:19 PM

:lol: Judy, Thanks for the info about Ambien. I had taken it before diagnosis and wondered why my diagnostician had pulled it. Still have trouble but at least I'm gluten free. I hope. Royann

#8 alexa11219

alexa11219

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 01:26 PM

Hi guys. I have been having problems with my sleep since I was a teenager (now I'm 50+). My severe celiac symptoms started 3 years ago, severe sleep problems - a year later, I was diagnosed with gluten intolerance 5 months ago. From bad experience, I don't trust doctors at all, at least I haven't found any I can trust to. I been taking different pills for depression and I couldn't tolerate any of them. Last fall I went to phychiatrist who prescribed Melatonin, a hormone responsible for sleep. She suggested my body didn't produce enough to help me sleep normally. I found one at Duane Reade Pharmacy, by Natrol, no yeast, wheat, corn, milk, egg, soy, glutens, artificial colors or flavors, added sugar, strach or preservatives, and it works for me. Recently, I bought Sleep Tight Factors by Country Life, Hypoallergenic Vegetarian from a Whole Foods Market, no yeast, corn, wheat, soy, gluten, milk, salt, sugar, starch, preservatives, artificial colors. It's not that good. At least on Melatonin I fall asleep sooner, I wake up only once or twice a night instead of 5 to 6 times, sleep is much deeper, nightmeres rare. Each body reacts for different meds in its own way. Maybe, maybe any of them will work for you. It's just a piece of info.

#9 YankeeDB

YankeeDB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 07:53 AM

I'm sure this is obvious but I'll mention these things anyway just for completeness: my insomnia improved when I limited my caffeine intact to 2 drinks before 1 pm and got at least 10 minutes of exercise that day. Also, I limit alcohol consumption to about 1 or 2 glasses of wine per week and never on consecutive nights. Even so, I can usually count on worse sleep when I have the wine (ah, but I like it so much!)

#10 faithladene

faithladene

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 09:57 AM

Alexa, thank you, so very much for responding and telling us about Melatonin. My fiance has severe Celiac disease and is in dire need of sleep. I will go to the health food store, today, so, he can try it.

I had learned about Melatonin, some years ago, but, forgot all about it. I'm so excited, I can hardly stand it. Thanks again, Alexa.

Faith

#11 faithladene

faithladene

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 02:05 PM

Just a note to say melatonin helped my fiance be able to sleep deeper on the very first night. He still woke up often, but, was able to go back to sleep quickly, whereas, before, he was up a long time.

Of course, he has only taken it for 2 nights, so, I hope he will even do better as time goes on.

#12 vishalrao

vishalrao

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 08:48 PM

Hi!

I had been having problems with my digestive system since last 9 years and have lost almost 10 kilos. My health has also extremely deteriorated. No sleep, no appetite and chronic fatigue.

Although I knew that some foods like Wheat didn't go with my system, I had no idea about Celiac until now! I tried all sorts of medications but in vain. Though I have not conducted any tests now, I'm sure that I have Celiac and I thank god for pointing me in the right direction.

Regarding sleep, since Celiacs are seriously deficient in vital nutrients, many of us might also be deficient of Mganesium. I have read that Magnesium deficiency can hamper lot of vital functions including sleep. Those who have sleep problems can try taking Magnesium suplement or foods rich in Magnesium (instead hormones) and see if sleep improves.

Here's are articles on Magnesium deficiency:
http://www.digitalna...ond/C78033.html
http://www.immunesup...cle.cfm/id/2892

Best wishes,

Vishal

#13 Guest_LisaB_*

Guest_LisaB_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2004 - 12:35 AM

On the magnesium, I take a good ionic liquid magnesium (Trace Minerals Mega Mag, tastes yukky, but works GREAT) right before bed and it works like a charm, I get sleepy in about 10 minutes and sleep great. The only problem I still have is that with my menstral cycle I still have trouble for about a week even with the mag. but it is sooooo much better even with that.

I tried Melatonin and would only sleep 4 hours and then wake and it made me CRANKY. For some people Ornithine alone, taken at bedtime will help as well. You start with one capsule (I use NOW brand) on an empty tummy right when you lay down for sleep, if that doesn't work keep adding a capsule at a time until it does. I used to have to take about 8 or so but it worked well, but the magnesium works far better for me, and it is helping straighten out my hormones in general. I have a long way to go, but getting sleep sure helps!

I'm off to take my magnesium and hit the hay...good night all!

#14 XoHeatherxO

XoHeatherxO

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 03:28 PM

Me too! I was just diagnosed about a month ago, but for the past year and a half while I have been very sick I have not been able to sleep!! I take tylenol pm every night and wake up so many times!! Hopefully someone can help....
[SIZE=7]Heather Ann
"Life is not about finding yourself....it's about creating yourself"
*Silly Yak*

#15 CoolCat1

CoolCat1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 04:08 PM

Try Imovane(sleeping pill). I just take 1/3 of a pill. It gets me sleeping. I tried Melatonin and it only works sometimes. A glass of wine and melatonin worked though. I would think Tylennol is a bad choice for longer because could it not damage your organs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: