This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Insomnia

willow

Mskedi Newbie
I have now been awake for over 40 hours. I feel exhausted but not sleepy. I sure hope for sleep tonight!

I want to warn others about Ambien CR.

I took Ambien a few years ago and got four hours of sleep from it. Felt lousy but four hours were better than nothing. Recently, my doctor prescribed 12.5 mg. Ambien CR. I held off using it until I went through a spell like I am going through now. I wasn't getting much more than an hour of sleep a night. With the Ambient CR, I got four hours of sleep. The control release didn't kick in to help me sleep. What happened is that I got completely agitated and suicidal. I took it four nights in a row because four hours of sleep were more than I was getting without it. Every day, I got worse and worse and I finally wised up and quit taking it.

Not sleeping at all is better than what Ambien CR did to me. I am still seeking out ways to sleep. Natural sleep aids that I've tried either don't do anything or make me very anxious. My system is wearing out because years I could take most anything.

Ambien gave me heart palpitations, made me dizzy all day, and made me hallucinate. No fun at all. :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jackay Enthusiast

If something I am ingesting is causing my insomnia, it doesn't help me to take a sleep aid or supplement.

I am pretty sure the gluten free calcium supplement I was taking was causing my insomnia. I switched to a different kind when I ran out. I started sleeping and thought it was because I was so careful about cross contamination. Switched back to my old calcium supplement and the insomnia came back. Made a quick trip in a snowstorm to get more of kind that seems to allow me to sleep. Slept again last night so I may be on to something.

I currently take 2500 mg. calcium daily and can not cut down on this until I get my doctor's O.K. because of surgery for hyperparathyroidism. I am hoping that my stomach will heal and do a better job of absorbing calcium soon. I have since learned that gluten intolerance could have been the cause of the hyperparthyroidism.

• 2 weeks later...
Jessika Newbie

I have been looking all over the internet trying to find any information I could about melatonin. I have always had a tough time getting to sleep and after moving to a different time zone (3 hours different) I have been finding I can't sleep until 5am then dragging though the days only to not be able to sleep again the next night. I started taking Benadryl everynight back in May of 2009 and prior to that I took advil pm. And now after taking those and not even those were working after moving to a new time zone.

Anyway long story short I bought melatonin the other day and took some 30 minutes before bed and I was out in 20 (very freaky vivid dreams I noticed). So I felt sick the next day with sweats on and off and today I have a bad headache along with them? I read the bottle and it states that you should not take this if you suffer from an autoimmune disorder? I looked online and I can't find anything on celiac disease specifically until I found this. What I did find was that it said it can trigger immune function to activate different autoimmune disorders that may be laying dormet.

Personally I stopped taking it after reading that since Celiac Disease is in that category of autoimmune disorders and I don't want any others lol.

Just something to think about if your considering taking it! But of course theres always those who will react to it fine :)

coozie Newbie

I have not been dx celiac disease yet but digestive system much improved since i began avoiding glutens. I was not aware insomnia part of celiacs, I always thought my insomnia was caused by my Morton Neuromas in my feet. They also contribute to the autoimmune deficiency!! What else do I have to look forward to discovering? Getting old ain't for sissys!!!

Gobbie Apprentice

Dying to spot the problem.

Hi, I have been tested positive for gluten intolerance as well as a long list of other food allergies/intolerances. I am having Celiac test tomorrow but pretty sure I am one due to severe symptoms.

One of this includes chronic insomnia.

It has been with me since April 2009 and only worsened as now I can not sleep at all.

I have watched sun rise almost every day for few months now. Despite being exhausted, I just can not sleep. I try my best by going to bed, listening to music, watching movies, etc but nothing helps. I end up lying in bed for hours and fall asleep lightly around 6 or 7am. Despite being tired and dizzy, I wake up around 11am or 1pm to get the day started.

I have cut coffee or any other high caffeine drinks out of my life but it is not helping.

Plus due to allergies, I do not eat greasy, high fat nor junk food.

Gluten and some other things seems to have damaged my intestines a lot that I am also suffering from abdominal pain and discomfort 24/7.. that might contribute to insomnia but few months ago with less pain, I still had sleeping problems.

Plus for those rare times, I manage to sleep.. I am awaken by series of nightmares.

I wake up about minimum of 2 to maximum of around 6 times a night..

How can this be changed?

I am fatigued and depressed already about my condition so no sleep is not helping!

Please help.

Mskedi Newbie

Gobbie --

I could have written that post. I'd always had insomnia, but in the months before I went gluten-free it got even worse. I tried everything -- I never touched caffeine, I exercised early in the day, I read (and read and read until the sun came up!), I took sleeping pills (they didn't help me sleep, but they did make me hallucinate -- that was interesting!). I couldn't drive safely, so my husband had to drive me to and from work every day. I had heart palpitations and got so dizzy that I started falling over. I visited emergency rooms and was told to do things I was already doing.

Then my sister was diagnosed with Celiac and I went gluten-free with her. After about a week of that I started getting the best sleep I'd ever had. I don't know that I'd EVER slept through the night my whole life before that. Even when I was young, I always had trouble falling asleep and woke up several times during the night due to horrible nightmares.

So -- there's hope. I can't even describe to you how much it has changed the quality of my life. The GI benefits are great, but finally being able to sleep is the best thing to have ever happened to me.

Gobbie Apprentice

Gobbie --

I could have written that post. I'd always had insomnia, but in the months before I went gluten-free it got even worse. I tried everything -- I never touched caffeine, I exercised early in the day, I read (and read and read until the sun came up!), I took sleeping pills (they didn't help me sleep, but they did make me hallucinate -- that was interesting!). I couldn't drive safely, so my husband had to drive me to and from work every day. I had heart palpitations and got so dizzy that I started falling over. I visited emergency rooms and was told to do things I was already doing.

Then my sister was diagnosed with Celiac and I went gluten-free with her. After about a week of that I started getting the best sleep I'd ever had. I don't know that I'd EVER slept through the night my whole life before that. Even when I was young, I always had trouble falling asleep and woke up several times during the night due to horrible nightmares.

So -- there's hope. I can't even describe to you how much it has changed the quality of my life. The GI benefits are great, but finally being able to sleep is the best thing to have ever happened to me.

Thank you so much for sharing this, thank you so much.

Getting help or sharing the burden with the fellow sufferers are the greatest hope there is ever. Others just don't understand.. I don't blame them and I hope they never have to.

It is such a reassuring feeling to get hope from fellow sufferers..

In dark times like this, I am having to hear 'there is hope' talk from the society to really feel it so thank you so much. Your words and hope mean a lot. Thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
ChBr02 Newbie

I have had sleep problems all my life. I could drink a cup of coffee at night, and yet go right to sleep. It just won't last. When I awake, I can't go back to sleep.

Contrary to what one lady said on here, I find that a glass of wine helps me get to sleep. Usually not all night, however.

One recent thing that I have tried is Alteril. It's main ingredients include L-Tryptophan, Valerian Root Extract, GABA (Gamma Aminobutric Acid), and Melatonin. It has a lot of other stuff, so be sure toread all the label. It does have Lecithin from Soybeans which could be a problem to some. This helps me better than anything else that I have tried. Melatonin alone, double dosed, does not help me.

I am trying to adjust my Thyroid use. There is some connection between Thyroid disease and Celiac Sprue. Many in my family suffer from Thyroid problems. My father's was hyperactive & he had to have it radiated. He later died from Celiac Sprue. It couldn't be treated. Statistically about 10% in those days did not respond to treatment. If I take enough Levothyroxine to keep my energy up, I have PVCs or PACs. If I don't take enough, then I can sleep most of the day. When I went Gluten-Free, my need for thyroid was reduced.

BTW, just checked my package, and Alteril does not claim to be Gluten-Free. I am not suspicious of the listed ingredients, but I guess I need to check further. Anyne else know the answer to that question?

digmom1014 Enthusiast

I am one of those "anti-medication" people, i.e. I don't like to take anything until it is absolutely necessary. I have no trouble going to sleep but, I wake-up several times during the night. Valerian or Melatonin did not help with the waking during the night. I was at my gyno yesterday, mentioned the waking to her and she gave me Lunesta to try. It also is time released through-out the night and non-addictive. I don't know when I will try it but, I already fell less anxious knowing I have it on hand.

I also second all of the cafienne and the exercise previous advise. It really helps put your body in a more relaxed mode.

soda Newbie

Has anyone every thought or considered doing a parasite cleanse. I too go through phases where I don't sleep well or bolt awake at night. My ND. told me, it's because of my low adrenals...but from what I've read and from personal experience it can also be from parasites. I find that whenever I do go through the phase of not sleeping well I do a parasite cleanse for a full 3 mths. (taking a wk. off during full moon and then resuming). I find that helps me. As for my adrenals...well I'm waiting to see how all my adrenal hormone supplements will help me.

Also I read something along the lines of celiac and leak gut always means parasites within us.

Hope this helps

Lesx2 Newbie

Try Imovane(sleeping pill). I just take 1/3 of a pill. It gets me sleeping. I tried Melatonin and it only works sometimes. A glass of wine and melatonin worked though. I would think Tylennol is a bad choice for longer because could it not damage your organs?

Valerian works to help me sleep - all natural. I purchase at Whole Foods - recommended by a homopathic doctor at a conference I was at. Better than Melatonin for me. Also had to eliminate multi vitamins that had B-12 in them, can't sleep or have wild nightmares if I have taken any B-12. May you all find something that works for you.. sweet dreams !

• 3 weeks later...
juppygirl Newbie

Mirtazepine is an Antidepressant. It will give you a raging appetite and is not to be taken lightly folks - with give you withdrawls if you take it regularly then stop. Just for info. :huh:

• 1 month later...
Lane GF Newbie

I have had sleep problems all my life. I could drink a cup of coffee at night, and yet go right to sleep. It just won't last. When I awake, I can't go back to sleep.

Contrary to what one lady said on here, I find that a glass of wine helps me get to sleep. Usually not all night, however.

One recent thing that I have tried is Alteril. It's main ingredients include L-Tryptophan, Valerian Root Extract, GABA (Gamma Aminobutric Acid), and Melatonin. It has a lot of other stuff, so be sure toread all the label. It does have Lecithin from Soybeans which could be a problem to some. This helps me better than anything else that I have tried. Melatonin alone, double dosed, does not help me.

I am trying to adjust my Thyroid use. There is some connection between Thyroid disease and Celiac Sprue. Many in my family suffer from Thyroid problems. My father's was hyperactive & he had to have it radiated. He later died from Celiac Sprue. It couldn't be treated. Statistically about 10% in those days did not respond to treatment. If I take enough Levothyroxine to keep my energy up, I have PVCs or PACs. If I don't take enough, then I can sleep most of the day. When I went Gluten-Free, my need for thyroid was reduced.

BTW, just checked my package, and Alteril does not claim to be Gluten-Free. I am not suspicious of the listed ingredients, but I guess I need to check further. Anyne else know the answer to that question?

Did you ever get a answer to the Alteril question you asked above? I have a soy intolerance as well and this is the only thing in it I can figure is contributing to my problems. I have been taking it for almost 4 months and have not been able to find out if it is Gluten-Free either. Thanks

butterfl8 Rookie

Welcome, Lane! Here's what I found from their website.

For customer service, call 800-727-1664, Monday through Friday, 6 AM to 7 PM PST.

Yea, not so much help with the list of ingredients. . . but maybe if you call they can be a little more helpful. Best of luck!

-Daisy

Black Sheep Apprentice

Has anyone every thought or considered doing a parasite cleanse. As for my adrenals...well I'm waiting to see how all my adrenal hormone supplements will help me.

Also I read something along the lines of celiac and leak gut always means parasites within us.

Hope this helps

Oh boy. I go to an N.D. too, and she wants to test my adrenals as well as for LGS. And she wants me to re-test to see if the heavy-metal detox I did got rid of it all. AND she wants to test my hormones. Let's see...at between $125 and $350 per test, depending on which one it is, and me with no insurance....it's gonna' be awhile. But as soon as I get the $$, I think I'll go with the LGS test first, then the adrenal test. That makes sense that LGS and parasites would go hand-in-hand.

I've had insomnia off and on for almost 18 years, and the past 5 it's been absolutely horrific. However, a couple of weeks or so after going g.f. it pretty much went away and most nights, I was sleeping like a baby. It was like a miracle! But then, late last week, the insomnia monster returned. :angry: Because I'm so new at being g.f.--it's only been about 7 weeks--I can't tell if it's a gluten thing that will get better again after I've been g.f. awhile longer, or if it's something else. :blink:

• 3 months later...
shortnsweet Newbie

Hello Everyone. I am new here; I read the posts but never replied before. I am kind of at my wits end with the "no sleeping" thing going on. It has really been terrible. I go to bed and roll around for an hour or so and and then just get up. Then I am up anywhere from 5-10 hours and then finally fall asleep almost on my feet. If I finally crash and sleep for 8-10 hrs then the next few days I am awake with only 2 hours or so a night or day (however I can fit it in). I am 64 and retired. Also, I am hypothyroid. I actually didn't know if it was a combination of both things going on or what. I have really limited my coffee/caffein, and don't drink any soda or alcohol. I was diagnosed with Celiac a year ago and have been gluten-free since, except for the times I goof up with hidden gluten in things. I have itching red rashes intermittently on my hands and arms and occassionally my face. I am so happy to hear that I am not alone and very appreciative for the info that I get from here.

mushroom Proficient

Hello Everyone. I am new here; I read the posts but never replied before. I am kind of at my wits end with the "no sleeping" thing going on. It has really been terrible. I go to bed and roll around for an hour or so and and then just get up. Then I am up anywhere from 5-10 hours and then finally fall asleep almost on my feet. If I finally crash and sleep for 8-10 hrs then the next few days I am awake with only 2 hours or so a night or day (however I can fit it in). I am 64 and retired. Also, I am hypothyroid. I actually didn't know if it was a combination of both things going on or what. I have really limited my coffee/caffein, and don't drink any soda or alcohol. I was diagnosed with Celiac a year ago and have been gluten-free since, except for the times I goof up with hidden gluten in things. I have itching red rashes intermittently on my hands and arms and occassionally my face. I am so happy to hear that I am not alone and very appreciative for the info that I get from here.

Welcome, shortnsweet!

Food intolerances, as you have found out, can play havoc with the sleep cycle. I alternate between sleeping too long and not being able to sleep. I can sleep for 9 hours and then fall asleep reading the newspaper or a gripping novel. Or I can lie awake all night, like last night, feeling like my head is plugged into an electrical outlet :o . At least I think I know what caused last night and the night before -- I had tried a new fruit juice (diluted pomegranate) and it is not agreeing with me at all. However, and I don't normally do this, I had added something else new at the same time (two or three days ago), a different herbal tea. So today, out they both go, and I will try them separately because I really like them both.

I have a long list of foods in addition to gluten that I have had to eliminate. Most of them were identified by the itching and rashes they used to give me initially. If you are having these rashes and itches I think you should consider that something else you are eating is bothering your body - keep a food and symptom diary and see if you can find any correlations. It seems that few of us get away without at least one additional intolerance. For sleeplessness I believe all caffeine should be eliminated - drink decaf if you must have your coffee and/or tea and see if it helps.

Give these things a try and check back in with us and let us know what is happening :)

GFinDC Veteran

I used to have problems sleeping if ate any dairy. Sometimes it would keep me awake for 3 days straight, not even tired. Of course, I didn't eat much dairy. Just tested it once in awhile to see if I could eat it after being gluten free. Eventually ( 2 years on the gluten-free diet), I found that I can eat a little dairy now and still sleep relatively ok. But it still messes me up digestion wise so I am not eating it anyway.

But, I also react the same way to potatoes. I can't sleep if I eat potatoes. Probably true for other nightshades (tomatoes, peppers) but I avoid them (and potatoes) so not sure.

I just wanted to point this out as a possible cause of insomnia since I figure someone else might have the same kind of reactions. Celiac bodies are weird things.

Archived