67 replies to this topic

#16 lcmcafee2

lcmcafee2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 12:59 PM

I am VERY new at this message board stuff ... in answer to the question about not being able to sleep ... I too have had that problem for years. I have been in the testing process to determine if I have celiac disease. The blood work came back as very high, but the biopsies are not confirming that diagnosis. This last "episode" started in the Summer of 2004 and we are still looking to put a name to it. I have been gluten free for 3 weeks. At Thanksgiving (2004 when I had the biopsies) the doctor told me to go gluten-free and I tried, just had to educate myself in all that stuff is in! I think I could almost put up with all the stomach and diarrhea problems if I could just get enough sleep and not be so fatigued. Over the years I have tried the over the counter sleep aids, to Aroma Therapeutix, to prescriptions!
It is nice to have a sounding board to get more ideas. Thanks for any help, suggestions.
Laura

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:40 PM

judy04 - Thanx for the info about AMBIEN. My thyroid doc game me a Rx for it and I was unable to get it filled at $130.00 for 30 pill. The sticker shock got to me (Ooch! I have no health insurance). I went back and she game me somethng else the other day (I wish I wrote it down so I could share it with the group) it had dairy in it. I returned it and never took it either.

I have been taking LORAZEPAM, when I get stressed, my heart races, can't sleep or when I have one of my seizures. It does help take the edge off. But my face, eyes, and gands get puffy when I take them for a day or so following. I'm a real life DIVA and I am super VAIN. One of my girlfriends mentioned the other day how I had puffy eyes and circles. I had been taking the LORAZEPAN the days prior to her comment. I don't know what's in them that is causing it, I'll look it up. Does anyone else here take it and have any reaction to it?

Regarding taking magnesium and the thyorid medication I just started taking... the doc told me not to take magnesium. I have a feeling she is misleading me. How should I take it?

#18 PrincessLEah

PrincessLEah

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 12:31 PM

I have insomia too. I was also diagnosed 3 years ago. I use Valarian to help get to sleep :)
Diagnosed in 2002 and now i'm 14 almost 15.

#19 PrincessLEah

PrincessLEah

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 12:34 PM

Melatonin! :o It is not for Celiacs! we tried it and it made me sick! Also I my doctor informed me that it was not supposed to be taken by celiacs.
Diagnosed in 2002 and now i'm 14 almost 15.

#20 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 03:47 PM

Did the melatonin you were taking have gluten in it? I have taken melatonin and have had no problems with it.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#21 namnammo

namnammo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 06:07 PM

arg I have insomnia almost every night when I eat wheat
flour! Which is weird because I have been diagosed at birth and I used to just get cramps when I was little but now it doesn't hurt when I eat wheat flour I just can't sleep. :/ But has any one else heard any thing about that new pill doctors said the developing to make it so you can eat gluten stuff for a while after taking it?

#22 Mosaics

Mosaics

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 11:11 AM

I have celiac disease and so do both of my children. My daughter, who is 21 now, has had problems sleeping for years. I suggested melatonin and it seems to work well for her although it hasn't alleviated the problem altogether.

#23 Mosaics

Mosaics

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 11:14 AM

arg I have insomnia almost every night when I eat wheat
flour! Which is weird because I have been diagosed at birth and I used to just get cramps when I was little but now it doesn't hurt when I eat wheat flour I just can't sleep. :/ But has any one else heard any thing about that new pill doctors said the developing to make it so you can eat gluten stuff for a while after taking it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, Namnammo, I've heard of that. Oddly enough, my step mother-in-law has celiac disease. She is acquainted with the researcher who really brought celiac disease to light in this country. He said they are working on such a pill and making headway. It won't be ready soon, but should be out within 10 years. I'm hoping it'll be sooner.

#24 dd6444

dd6444

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 09:59 PM

Hey, guess what? I have insomnia too. It got worse when I started my gluten-free diet, but I'm just going through gluten withdrawal... Right now its like 2 am, and i'll probably be up for a few more hours... Nice to know that I'm not the only one here with it.
--Dave

#25 bluefin

bluefin

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:56 AM

hello
my father was suffering from a similar problem of sleeping disorder
he was afraid to take any medicines for inducing sleep
however the doctor told him to take Serenite
as it was herbal he didnt have any side effects as such

Hi,
  I am new to the site and was wondeing if any of you have suffred
from  insomnia. I was dx 3 years ago after going from dr to dr . I think celica has always been with me . I just thought going through this was just the way my body body works.Thanks for taking the time out to read my post.
Willow

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#26 emeraldskies

emeraldskies

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 09:31 AM

I've had insomnia since kindergarten. When I was a child, I would go to bed with 12 hours in which to sleep, then I would try all kinds of weird techniques to sleep, such as getting in uncomfortable positions, flipping my pillow onto the other side because it was cooler that way, or lying on the opposite end of the bed. For some reason, they would sometimes work, but the most sleep I could ever expect to get in a night was six hours. If I ever had to spend the night anywhere but my own bed, I wouldn't sleep the entire time (including on week-long family vacations and at slumber parties and summer camps).

When I had untreated hypothyroidism, I would fall asleep at any moment. Every time I would watch a movie or try to study for a test, I would fall directly asleep. But of course, untreated hypothyroid sleep isn't restful. I could sleep for 14 hours and still wake up feeling like I had never slept. When I got on just a little thyroid medication (not enough because I still had most of the symptoms), I was back to my normal insomnia. It didn't really matter because I had only four hours or less every night to sleep anyway (or, none at all) when I was in university because I couldn't concentrate to study and had to write down every word the teachers said to learn (after the lecture to retain the information). Studying for a test meant typing all of the info for two days straight without sleep. For awhile, I was taking Trazodone and had the best sleep of my life. Eventually, it stopped working, but it did give me improved sleep for a few years.

Now, I handle it by pulling all-nighters until I am exhausted enough to sleep. Sometimes that means staying up for a week without sleep. I am on the diet, but I still have severe insomnia. It could be caused by anxiety because if I can get my husband to stroke my arm for a bit, I will calm down and will go to sleep immediately. I hope this will be resolved one day.
emeraldskies

Diagnosed through EnteroLab in 2004 - malabsorption, antigliadin and antitissue transglutaminase IgA antibodies to gluten, and anti-casein IgA antibodies
HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,6)
Gluten and casein free since diagnosis
Autoimmune thyroiditis
Hypocortisolism
Deficient levels of estradiol, estrone, pregnenolone, and testosterone
Low cholesterol (current levels: HDL-39, LDL-58, total-109, triglycerides-59)
Osteoporosis
Atrophic glossitis
Osteomalacia
Ataxia (gait and limb)

"All truth passes through three stages: first it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third it is accepted as self-evident."
- Arthur Schopenhauer

#27 mouse

mouse

**armetta**

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 04:00 PM

I take Ambien for insomnia. Because it is habit forming, I vary the amount and the days I take it. On the days I don't take it, I use Sleep Tight Factors which are gluten-free. Someone on this thread said Ambien is not gluten free. I just checked a medical list I keep under favorites and it is listed as being gluten-free. I do not take any generic as they many times have gluten in them. Maybe she is taking a generic for Ambien. I certainly hope that my gluten-free prescription list is accurate. Armetta <_<
"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004
Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat
Morphia Scleroderma
Osteoarthritis
Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid
Essential Tremors
Asthma
Migraines
Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis
PAD Peripheral Artery Disease
Angina and Atrial Fibrillation
Gluten Ataxia
Vitiligo
Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.
Ocular Myastenia Gravis

#28 Guest_kmmolina_*

Guest_kmmolina_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:44 AM

I have had problems sleeping for a long time. I've been taking ambien for awhile and it seems to help. However, the wierd thing is that since I've been gluten-free...even with ambien I can seem to fall asleep, like right now. I took it at 10:30 pm and it is now 1:42am...not sleepy and I have to be up in 4 hours... :angry: Is this something that happens when you are gluten-free? Also, I just started taking a "under the tongue" B-Complex in the mornings....can this be causing me to not sleep? I need my "beauty sleep" :lol:

#29 mouse

mouse

**armetta**

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:24 PM

Hi Kathleen,

I take a sub-lingual B complex with B-12 every morning. It has not affected my evening sleep. With the Ambien, I noticed that I have to take it just before I climb under the covers. I also take a Excedrin PM with the Ambien, otherwise my mind does not shut down and I can lay there until the wee hours of morning. And it does not matter how tired I get - I will just keep the old mind going (Not that there is much a mind left since I got so ill with this LOL). So, I take both pills and sometimes two Ambien's immediately before I go to bed. My husband and granddaughter have learned to not disturb me after I take the pills. If anyone does before I have fallen asleep then I am awake until morning. If I get woken up several hours after I have been asleep, I can still go back to sleep. It is real weird. Before I went gluten-free, I would have some episodes every month with insomnia, but nothing like the insomnia that I have now. Hope you find the right combo of whatever that helps you get the rest that you need. :)

Armetta B)
"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004
Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat
Morphia Scleroderma
Osteoarthritis
Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid
Essential Tremors
Asthma
Migraines
Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis
PAD Peripheral Artery Disease
Angina and Atrial Fibrillation
Gluten Ataxia
Vitiligo
Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.
Ocular Myastenia Gravis

#30 elonwy

elonwy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:45 PM

I take Sonata, which is not habit forming. I only started having insomnia when my celiac disease symtoms started back when I was diagnosed with "stress". Halfway through my first week on gluten-free diet I started sleeping on my own.
This weekend I had to take one because my insomnia was back ( I got glutened friday and felt crappy all weekend.) Sofar I've been on this three weeks and got accidentally glutened once every week. Here's hoping it gets better. I like sleeping on my own.
Elonwy
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: