- - - - -

Insomnia

• Please log in to reply

67 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_kmmolina_*

Guest_kmmolina_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2005 - 04:07 PM

Thanks Armetta and Elonwy...I am hoping that find the right combo also. This no sleep business is no good, especially when I have to go to work the next day and try to be alert!!! Armetta, do you think the B-Complex is helping with you energy level? I kind of feel it is...but then sometime I think it is just the simple power of suggestion.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 mouse

mouse

**armetta**

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:07 PM

I wish the power of suggestion would help my energy level. A friend is taking the shots and noticed a big improvement. I took them for many months and noticed nothing. Am now on the liquid sub-lingual and still don't notice any improvement. I take one High Energy Ensure in the morning and sometimes two Frappachinos - just to be able to get the minimum done each day. The low energy is the hardest for me to accept. I do not take any caffeine after 1:00 pm because of the insomnia. My husband had to go to the doctor today (we have the same doctor) and he wrote an order for me to have my vitamins and minerals checked. He said to my husband, "where does she find this stuff" and my husband told him "you told her to use the internet". He laughed and said "yes, she is my researcher on this disease" LOL. As a matter of fact, I print everything out that I think he, his PA and his head nurse need to know. He, personally does not have time to study on all this as he really should have a closed practice as he has way too many patients. So, his PA is reading up on everything I give them. He now has more then 50 celiac disease patients since he diagnosed me. So, we will see what this round of tests show. If nothing, then I have to accept that after a year and a half after my diagnosis, then this might just be where I end up at. I do not find that idea a good thing to deal with. :(

Armetta B)
"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004
Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat
Morphia Scleroderma
Osteoarthritis
Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid
Essential Tremors
Asthma
Migraines
Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis
PAD Peripheral Artery Disease
Angina and Atrial Fibrillation
Gluten Ataxia
Vitiligo
Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.
Ocular Myastenia Gravis

#33 Megan B

Megan B

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:34 PM

I have never slept well. My infant inability to fall asleep is a family legend. But before DX, I would be sick as a dog and unable to sleep. A friend suggested I might have a Circadian rhythm disorder (Circadian Ryhthm is your body's sleep/ wake cycle) These are very much genetic and as we have a family hx of weird sleep patterns, I tried the cure... a sun lamp from Appollo Health. It helped quite a bit.

But, I discovered that hard way that gluten gives me BAD insomnia. (Actually, it was the insomnia and crazy autism symptoms after a day of High gluten that helped me figure out my gluten intolerance.) Now, if I get even a little bit of gluten I have 8-12 hours of insomnia after I eat. Sometimes I can go to sleep right after dinner, but I will wake up buzzing. It seems that higher doses create longer periods of insomnia. You might want to check for hidden gluten in your diet. I am also starting to suspect that too much MSG mighht be an insomnia trigger for me.
BTW, I still use the light box some, but I need it far less now that I am off gluten.

I had been taking Magnesium before diagnosis, that helps with the sleep and with pulling toxins out of the body. I have also tried Calcium. But when I get glutened, I pretty much have to take a sleep aid, My doc has me on Sonata. Sonata is good for this because it only lasts 3-4 hours so I can take it in the middle of the night.

#34 justdafacts

justdafacts

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:54 AM

Hello from a newbie!
Hi out there. I wanted to introduce myself to everyone. Iíve been searching the web for info about insomnia and found this board. Iíve never thought about joining a board before, but after reading through some posts, Iím happy I did. I just want to say thanks to everyone for the support you offer here.

#35 Mayflowers

Mayflowers

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:30 PM

I've been taking melatonin 1 mg every night because I read that it helps with sleep problems and I just read here that it's not recommended for celiacs. I searched and Wikipedia said the same thing! Cripe. I was getting benefits from it! :angry: I also use the Go Light from Apollo for SAD and that helps also.
HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 8,6)
Antigliadin IgA 72
Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 49

#36 jacqui

jacqui

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:28 PM

Hi Willow,

I am new to the whole forum thing so I hope I am doing this right.

I too have recently been diagnosed with insomnia which is r/t celiac disease and Hashimoto's autoimmune disease and I have both.
All my doc told me was the norm-
1. no caffeine after 2-3PM
2. Do nothing an hour before sleep
3. Exercise
4. ...

I have tried and it isn't working. I asked for an RX and he refused. Well, he have me 10 days worth. So I am only using them when absolutely necessary.
IBS 1994
Endometriosis
Hashimoto's auto immune disease
Diverticulosis
Celiac disease April 2006 - neuro symptoms I am assuming from celiac disease
HLA DQ 2 (celiac disease) and HLA DQ 6 (GS) either way my parents made sure I had something!
Insomnia
Hyperflexibility

Daughter 6 y/o (5 at diagnosis) celiac disease via labs (all >100) and flattened biopsy. NO symptoms!!

Daughter 8 y/o with BM ="C" since birth and breast fed, osteopenia, SEVERE eczema up to 5 y/o, now on and off (-) via labs and biopsy. HLA DQ 2 and HLA DQ 8! and possibly ADHD.

Son 3 y/o also HLADQ2 AND DQ 8! Negative panel
Husband MEXICAN and he has DQ 8! His family refuses all and anything with celiac disease, same with his PCP!

"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger..." Right? I think that's the saying.

#37 BridgetJones

BridgetJones

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:50 PM

My mum told me that I would drive her mad as a child because I wouldn't sleep. I still have problems now but its not as bad as I have been diagnosed for the past 3 years.
Gluten free for 5 years.
2 years of testing before correct diagnosis.

#38 Grannymaui

Grannymaui

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:56 PM

Hi Willow,

I am new to the whole forum thing so I hope I am doing this right.

I too have recently been diagnosed with insomnia which is r/t celiac disease and Hashimoto's autoimmune disease and I have both.
All my doc told me was the norm-
1. no caffeine after 2-3PM
2. Do nothing an hour before sleep
3. Exercise
4. ...

I have tried and it isn't working. I asked for an RX and he refused. Well, he have me 10 days worth. So I am only using them when absolutely necessary.

#39 sleepy1

sleepy1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:09 PM

Hi, I've had Insomnia for many years. I always attributed it to
Thyroid disease and/or menopause. However I think it may
also be another one of those symptoms that seem to vary from
person to persons with celiac disease and wheat allergy. I have been using Ambien
for several months, but I stopped a few weeks ago after tachycardia began
soon after ingesting it. I then looked it up in a reference book which
said it is not gluten-free and it contains wheat starch..

#40 Mayflowers

Mayflowers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 04:22 PM

I used to sleep great but since I've passed 45, I've been waking more and more often during the
night. I don't feel rested and I'm tired all the time. I went to a web site www.innertalk.com and I ordered a subliminal tape Sleep Soundly. The first night I listened to the muisc for 30 mins before bed time and I fell asleep fast and woke only twice, compared to once an hour all night long! I feel much more rested and I sleep much better now.

I think this works better than the melatonin because I would feel groggy all day long from the melatonin (a side effect), and of course it's not recommended for people with auto immune disease. Subliminal tapes have no side effects!

Of course you need to be hypnotically suggestable... Thought it might help.
HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 8,6)
Antigliadin IgA 72
Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 49

#41 Subhangi

Subhangi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:50 PM

Thanks Armetta and Elonwy...I am hoping that find the right combo also. This no sleep business is no good, especially when I have to go to work the next day and try to be alert!!! Armetta, do you think the B-Complex is helping with you energy level? I kind of feel it is...but then sometime I think it is just the simple power of suggestion.

Hi, I'm new to the celiac forum, but old to being a celiac,(as opposed to being a brainiac as my husband jokes,0. I've had insomnia for the last 20yrs!!! Is there a cure? It is just a way of life now days for me...it is so good to be able to talk to others with the same symptoms. I just get eye rolls and changed subject when I mention anything around my family and friends...thanks for being there. Subhangi

#42 Guest_dreams25_*

Guest_dreams25_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2007 - 04:12 AM

Hi I have been diagnosed with coeliac disease about a year ago , and my symptoms were comepletely the opposite i couldnt stay awake.. as soon as i sat i fell asleep....
Very dibilatating but as soon as i went on the gluten free diet my sleepiness went away.. so not sure about the insomnia part of it being in relation to coeliac .. ;)

#43 makeasplash

makeasplash

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:24 AM

I'm recently diagnosed. I have always had trouble with sleep, ever since I was a little kid. I started sleeping more and more earlier this year, and I had a number of other problems. I never had the core symptoms (diarrhea, etc.) in any specific concentration, but i had many of the peripheral symptoms (fatigue, malaise, endometriosis, depression, weight fluctuations). I took the blood test, but tested negative, but I decided to try out the diet anyway to see if I could maybe be sensitive and see if it helped my endometriosis symptoms, and it worked. Although, the fatigue that kept me in bed earlier this year is gone, and I'm an insomniac once again. I started forcing myself out of bed at 5:30am to go to the gym and work out for an hour... but I still can't get myself to fall asleep before midnight! Anyone else find that they have so much new energy on the diet that they can't get enough sleep?

#44 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:49 PM

I'm recently diagnosed. I have always had trouble with sleep, ever since I was a little kid. I started sleeping more and more earlier this year, and I had a number of other problems. I never had the core symptoms (diarrhea, etc.) in any specific concentration, but i had many of the peripheral symptoms (fatigue, malaise, endometriosis, depression, weight fluctuations). I took the blood test, but tested negative, but I decided to try out the diet anyway to see if I could maybe be sensitive and see if it helped my endometriosis symptoms, and it worked. Although, the fatigue that kept me in bed earlier this year is gone, and I'm an insomniac once again. I started forcing myself out of bed at 5:30am to go to the gym and work out for an hour... but I still can't get myself to fall asleep before midnight! Anyone else find that they have so much new energy on the diet that they can't get enough sleep?

I had this problem earlier this year after diagnosis. I still have trouble going to sleep earlier, it seems I just can't relax (as evidenced by this post at 11:48pm). I still get fatigued during the day, though. It is getting better over time, I think.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#45 Babyface

Babyface

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:18 AM

B) I HIGHLY recommend D3 supplementation for insomnia. D deficiency is a common result of gluten intolerance, and supplemental D has done wonders for my sleep problems. I went from sleeping 1 or 2 hours a night to sleeping for 3 or 4 hours by adding 5-HTP. But after I got serious about the gluten issues, I added 2000 IU of D3 (Carlson's gel capsule, not a dry tablet--that's important) to my day and now I sleep a full 6.5-7 hours straight. Every night, night after night!! I am sooooo happy!! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: