67 replies to this topic

#61 Lesx2

Lesx2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:54 PM

Try Imovane(sleeping pill). I just take 1/3 of a pill. It gets me sleeping. I tried Melatonin and it only works sometimes. A glass of wine and melatonin worked though. I would think Tylennol is a bad choice for longer because could it not damage your organs?

Valerian works to help me sleep - all natural. I purchase at Whole Foods - recommended by a homopathic doctor at a conference I was at. Better than Melatonin for me. Also had to eliminate multi vitamins that had B-12 in them, can't sleep or have wild nightmares if I have taken any B-12. May you all find something that works for you.. sweet dreams !

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#62 juppygirl

juppygirl

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:23 PM

Mirtazepine is an Antidepressant. It will give you a raging appetite and is not to be taken lightly folks - with give you withdrawls if you take it regularly then stop. Just for info. :huh:
I never said I was sane !!

Juppygirl

#63 Lane GF

Lane GF

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:47 AM

I have had sleep problems all my life. I could drink a cup of coffee at night, and yet go right to sleep. It just won't last. When I awake, I can't go back to sleep.

Contrary to what one lady said on here, I find that a glass of wine helps me get to sleep. Usually not all night, however.

One recent thing that I have tried is Alteril. It's main ingredients include L-Tryptophan, Valerian Root Extract, GABA (Gamma Aminobutric Acid), and Melatonin. It has a lot of other stuff, so be sure toread all the label. It does have Lecithin from Soybeans which could be a problem to some. This helps me better than anything else that I have tried. Melatonin alone, double dosed, does not help me.

I am trying to adjust my Thyroid use. There is some connection between Thyroid disease and Celiac Sprue. Many in my family suffer from Thyroid problems. My father's was hyperactive & he had to have it radiated. He later died from Celiac Sprue. It couldn't be treated. Statistically about 10% in those days did not respond to treatment. If I take enough Levothyroxine to keep my energy up, I have PVCs or PACs. If I don't take enough, then I can sleep most of the day. When I went Gluten-Free, my need for thyroid was reduced.

BTW, just checked my package, and Alteril does not claim to be Gluten-Free. I am not suspicious of the listed ingredients, but I guess I need to check further. Anyne else know the answer to that question?

Did you ever get a answer to the Alteril question you asked above? I have a soy intolerance as well and this is the only thing in it I can figure is contributing to my problems. I have been taking it for almost 4 months and have not been able to find out if it is Gluten-Free either. Thanks

#64 butterfl8

butterfl8

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:00 PM

Welcome, Lane! Here's what I found from their website.

For customer service, call 800-727-1664, Monday through Friday, 6 AM to 7 PM PST.

Yea, not so much help with the list of ingredients. . . but maybe if you call they can be a little more helpful. Best of luck!
-Daisy
I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
--David Sedaris

#65 Black Sheep

Black Sheep

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

Has anyone every thought or considered doing a parasite cleanse. As for my adrenals...well I'm waiting to see how all my adrenal hormone supplements will help me.
Also I read something along the lines of celiac and leak gut always means parasites within us.
Hope this helps

Oh boy. I go to an N.D. too, and she wants to test my adrenals as well as for LGS. And she wants me to re-test to see if the heavy-metal detox I did got rid of it all. AND she wants to test my hormones. Let's see...at between $125 and $350 per test, depending on which one it is, and me with no insurance....it's gonna' be awhile. But as soon as I get the $$, I think I'll go with the LGS test first, then the adrenal test. That makes sense that LGS and parasites would go hand-in-hand.

I've had insomnia off and on for almost 18 years, and the past 5 it's been absolutely horrific. However, a couple of weeks or so after going g.f. it pretty much went away and most nights, I was sleeping like a baby. It was like a miracle! But then, late last week, the insomnia monster returned. :angry: Because I'm so new at being g.f.--it's only been about 7 weeks--I can't tell if it's a gluten thing that will get better again after I've been g.f. awhile longer, or if it's something else. :blink:

#66 shortnsweet

shortnsweet

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:55 AM

Hello Everyone. I am new here; I read the posts but never replied before. I am kind of at my wits end with the "no sleeping" thing going on. It has really been terrible. I go to bed and roll around for an hour or so and and then just get up. Then I am up anywhere from 5-10 hours and then finally fall asleep almost on my feet. If I finally crash and sleep for 8-10 hrs then the next few days I am awake with only 2 hours or so a night or day (however I can fit it in). I am 64 and retired. Also, I am hypothyroid. I actually didn't know if it was a combination of both things going on or what. I have really limited my coffee/caffein, and don't drink any soda or alcohol. I was diagnosed with Celiac a year ago and have been gluten-free since, except for the times I goof up with hidden gluten in things. I have itching red rashes intermittently on my hands and arms and occassionally my face. I am so happy to hear that I am not alone and very appreciative for the info that I get from here.

#67 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:46 AM

Hello Everyone. I am new here; I read the posts but never replied before. I am kind of at my wits end with the "no sleeping" thing going on. It has really been terrible. I go to bed and roll around for an hour or so and and then just get up. Then I am up anywhere from 5-10 hours and then finally fall asleep almost on my feet. If I finally crash and sleep for 8-10 hrs then the next few days I am awake with only 2 hours or so a night or day (however I can fit it in). I am 64 and retired. Also, I am hypothyroid. I actually didn't know if it was a combination of both things going on or what. I have really limited my coffee/caffein, and don't drink any soda or alcohol. I was diagnosed with Celiac a year ago and have been gluten-free since, except for the times I goof up with hidden gluten in things. I have itching red rashes intermittently on my hands and arms and occassionally my face. I am so happy to hear that I am not alone and very appreciative for the info that I get from here.

Welcome, shortnsweet!

Food intolerances, as you have found out, can play havoc with the sleep cycle. I alternate between sleeping too long and not being able to sleep. I can sleep for 9 hours and then fall asleep reading the newspaper or a gripping novel. Or I can lie awake all night, like last night, feeling like my head is plugged into an electrical outlet :o . At least I think I know what caused last night and the night before -- I had tried a new fruit juice (diluted pomegranate) and it is not agreeing with me at all. However, and I don't normally do this, I had added something else new at the same time (two or three days ago), a different herbal tea. So today, out they both go, and I will try them separately because I really like them both.

I have a long list of foods in addition to gluten that I have had to eliminate. Most of them were identified by the itching and rashes they used to give me initially. If you are having these rashes and itches I think you should consider that something else you are eating is bothering your body - keep a food and symptom diary and see if you can find any correlations. It seems that few of us get away without at least one additional intolerance. For sleeplessness I believe all caffeine should be eliminated - drink decaf if you must have your coffee and/or tea and see if it helps.

Give these things a try and check back in with us and let us know what is happening :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#68 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:36 AM

I used to have problems sleeping if ate any dairy. Sometimes it would keep me awake for 3 days straight, not even tired. Of course, I didn't eat much dairy. Just tested it once in awhile to see if I could eat it after being gluten free. Eventually ( 2 years on the gluten-free diet), I found that I can eat a little dairy now and still sleep relatively ok. But it still messes me up digestion wise so I am not eating it anyway.

But, I also react the same way to potatoes. I can't sleep if I eat potatoes. Probably true for other nightshades (tomatoes, peppers) but I avoid them (and potatoes) so not sure.

I just wanted to point this out as a possible cause of insomnia since I figure someone else might have the same kind of reactions. Celiac bodies are weird things.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: