89 replies to this topic

#1 Nantzie

Nantzie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 01:22 PM

Wouldn't that be fun? We could have it either centrally located somewhere in the middle/north US, or do a poll on where the most celiacs happen to be, and have it there the first time. Get all the gluten-free companies to have booths there.

We could have a cooking competition using gluten-free products. It could just be one basic thing that we can't eat mainstream versions of. Best cookie, best mac & cheese, best onion rings. Something like that.

I'm not the organizing type, but just thought I'd throw the idea out.

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 01:28 PM

I am SO DOWN with the gluten-free Iron Chef! Kick ass! :lol:
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 01:30 PM

I think that is a great idea! Hopefully others will be interested and we can get the ball rolling :D
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 02:21 PM

I can't cook well enough with or without gluten to enter a cooking contest but I'm all about a conference and if I can swing it I'll be there. What about Chicago as a centralized location? CA is too far for most (I think) but Chicago is fairly central and always has lots of great hotel offers for groups. I may be able to help with planning starting this summer. Until I'm snowed under with work and learning my new lifestyle.

Also, some Celiac awareness group (maybe GIG) meets each year for a conference but it's always in Salt Lake City which is NOT centrally located in the US.
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

#5 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 02:51 PM

I wuld definitely go- I can see it now CchelsE and me in a smack down iron Chef style. :P Seriously, it would be so fun to organize even just a central place to meet for a long weekend. Chicago would probably be PERFECT. Or we could go Canadian which would be fun too! Montral, toronto?

#6 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 03:00 PM

They managed to pull of a gluten free beer festival http://www.glutenfreebeerfestival.com/, so it sounds like a good idea to me! I'd be there!
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#7 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 03:03 PM

Guhlia- Thaat is so cool! If we could combine the two, I'd die andgo to heaven. :D

#8 Guest_Robbin_*

Guest_Robbin_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:20 PM

I am seriously there!!! I love cooking!! Chicago sounds good. :)

#9 Guhlia

Guhlia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:21 PM

I don't know what I'd do if I were in a convention hall full of *safe* food and *safe* beer... I think I'd just burst into tears knowing that I could have anything I wanted in that room. Please tell me I wouldn't be the only dry eye... Does anyone have really good organizational tools to set something like this up? Think the gluten-free beer festival would be interested in joining hands with an entire gluten-free convention? We could have all the gluten-free companies bring samples and do ribbons like the gluten-free beer festival did. How better to get the word out about their product?!?!?!

Okay, I must go now... I'm drooling all over my computer just thinking about it... :unsure:
~Angie~

#10 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:23 PM

I'm in.

TO WIN!

Ha!
Just joking, but really, I'm in. I can help organize!
Gluten-free, Vegan

#11 Guhlia

Guhlia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:35 PM

Do you think the mainstream product producers would have any interest in this? Maybe if we marketed it correctly to them? I know that Grandma Utz potato chips label as gluten free. So do Lays Stax, Thai Kitchen, and so many others. Maybe they would be interested in setting up booths with samples and coupons??? Just a thought. I think if we can somehow get the mainstream group to join us, we'll be able to reach out to so many more people. In addition, it may in turn raise celiac awareness. We already have the governmental labeling laws kind of on our side. This could be the perfect time for a breakthrough.

Maybe I'm thinking bigger than I should... So if this just sounds like an aimless pipe dream, please ignore it... I just desperately want the word to get out. And let me tell you, a room full of gluten free goodies is driving me up a wall! :D
~Angie~

#12 paulasimone

paulasimone

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:20 PM

i agree with guhlia 100%.

i am pretty confident i would start crying if i were surrounded by a convention hall full of gluten-free food and sympathetic celiacs. cook-off = brilliant! (sponsored by ...etc etc etc); booths thing = genius. that would be *so* much better than ordering food online to taste it.

guhlia, i see your pipe dream and raise you one implausible fantasy: celiac celebrity speakers/performers.

:)
paula

#13 Guhlia

Guhlia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 05:42 AM

Think Kid Rock would perform in memory of his little friend (sorry, can't remember his name right now). I'm not a Kid Rock fan, but is sure would be cool to have someone of that stature perform.

Paula *hugs* we can cry together. I think if I saw a convention hall of all that, I'd just be down on my knees sobbing with relief.
~Angie~

#14 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 05:46 AM

i think that, in the least, the initial idea of a get together, where we all bake and have a mini-convention sounds fun.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#15 Guhlia

Guhlia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:29 AM

Would it be possible for one of the moderators to move this topic into the "coping with" forum to get more attention? I think you guys have an awesome idea here and that seems to be the most popular forum on here.
~Angie~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: