89 replies to this topic

#16 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:02 AM

I just love the idea for us all (as many that can) to get together for a weekend and visit face to face. If it were at all possible, I would be there. I think it would be great!
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:49 AM

i was doing some more thinking about this.
in the summer, i am opening up business at our farmer's market with all gluten-free and dairy-free stuff. if it takes off, i want to open business, officially.

anyway, i would be willing to cater the whole event.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#18 danikali

danikali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:00 AM

I'll def. go!

It would be so AMAZING to be surrounded by people who UNDERSTAND (really understand) what I go through every day of my life. My eyes would def. not be dry!

And Chicago sounds perfect, since it's the biggest city right in the middle.

Can we really do this? It's sounds too good to be true!
Danielle (Dani)

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by Dr. Green (gene HLA DQ8) 1/05/06
Diagnosed: Gluten Sensitive through enterolab 11/17/05
Diagnosed: Casein Sensitive through enterolab 3/7/06

Diagnosed: Interstitial Cystitis (IC) 07/26/06

I finally put my picture on because it doesn't look like I'll be eating ANY cake on my Wedding day..........I'm the one in the middle.

Intolerant to: (besides gluten)

Casein
Peanuts (can handle very small amounts)
Any kind of additives or preservatives

#19 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:10 AM

We can do it! We just need to get a group of people who have good organizational skills (and some free time). We need to pin down exactly what we want to do (ie: booths for gluten-free manufacturers, entertainment, contests, convention hall location, etc). I'm good at coming up with ideas and I'm good at coming up with an action plan to carry out those ideas, but I'm HORRIBLE at following through with things. I think that if we want this to happen, we can make it happen. It just takes a group of dedicated individuals with good resources. A sponsor wouldn't hurt either. Maybe Celiac.com would be willing to sponsor the event. It would be expensive to pull off without sponsorship. I imagine the convention hall would be pretty pricey, plus insurance, permits (I imagine we'd need permits if food or drink were involved, even if it were informal), plus whatever else is involved in something like this.

If we do it... Can we have one big group hug for all the pain and suffering that all of us have been through before, during, and after our diagnosis?
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#20 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:53 PM

I'm so excited that everybody thinks this would be fun too. I was thinking a weekend thing would be good at first. I know we could fill a whole week, but that's kind of a lot at first.

I actually posted this in the Coping With section originally because I didn't know where the best place for this was either. But it got moved here by a mod. It's funny that someone else thought that Coping With was a better area than this. But most people here just go to view new posts anyway, so I'm sure most people will see it.

I'm like you Guhlia. I can think of all sorts of ideas, but following though, organizing and all that stuff is just more than I can do right now.

Lorka, catering the event would be amazing. My mouth is already watering...

Okay, more ideas from me.

Try to find at least one or two mainstream food manufacturer to send a representative at the very least. Maybe if they seem interested when we contact them, we could even see if they would be willing to create or modify a product to be gluten-free, and test market it at the convention. Imagine gluten-free Campbells soups or gluten-free Ranch Dressing. Mmm.... Suggest that they offer it by internet order at first, since most of us order our gluten-free foods that way anyway.

Special invitation to General Mills for starting to put out gluten-free Trix and Cocoa Puffs. (Read those labels though, they're not everywhere yet).

Booths, booths, booths for established gluten-free companies, and discounted prices for booths for people who have celiac / gluten intolerance and are thinking about starting (or started) a small or local business that they want to market.

I would love to find a reasonably-priced hotel company that always has in-house restaurants that would be willing to really go all out to provide gluten-free food, and develop a permanent gluten-free menu. I haven't traveled much in recent years, but I don't think Holiday Inn always has a restaurant. My main idea with this being that wouldn't it be nice when traveling to know that Hotel XYZ always has a gluten-free menu and trained staff, and it's a safe place to stay for us.

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#21 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:55 PM

I live down the street from a market that is really, really big on selling gluten-free stuff.
In addition, Sherk's is here, too.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#22 MallysMama

MallysMama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 03:55 PM

I can't cook well enough with or without gluten to enter a cooking contest but I'm all about a conference and if I can swing it I'll be there. What about Chicago as a centralized location? CA is too far for most (I think) but Chicago is fairly central and always has lots of great hotel offers for groups. I may be able to help with planning starting this summer. Until I'm snowed under with work and learning my new lifestyle.

Also, some Celiac awareness group (maybe GIG) meets each year for a conference but it's always in Salt Lake City which is NOT centrally located in the US.

They have a conference in SLC?!?! When?? Do you have a website with GIG's info on it? I used to live in SLC...then moved to St.George, Utah (4 hours south)....now in Vegas (2 hours south of that)....so it's not TOO far for me! I would love to go to some type of convention! Unfortunately I doubt I'd be able to travel far - with a toddler in tow (not sure I'd leave her and go that far yet). But, if someone could clue me in to that conference in SLC thag GIG does, I'd really appreciate it!
Diagnosed by biopsy with Celiac at age 1 in 1984.
No other health problems.

Hubby - no health problems.
Mallory (2 year old daughter) - no known health problems at this time.
Hannah (born 04/02/07) - no problems yet!
Family - no one diagnosed with Celiac - ever - to our knowledge. (Lucky me!)

#23 kevsmom

kevsmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:46 PM

What about Baltimore? Maybe the University of Maryland Center For Celiac Research would be interested in organizing something like this. Just think of all the data they could collect with all of us in one place.
Cindy
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2005
Diabetic

#24 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:41 PM

Okay, this is WAY too weird. My son asked me today if it would offend me if he organized a convention here for all my gluten-friends on the forum. He said it would be a get-together with nothing but STRICT gluten-free food (he is an EXCELLENT cook), and he wanted to get as many people as he could to get together. He wanted ideas for getting something started. I'll ask him if it's okay to publish his e-mail address, and if you want to start giving him ideas, he'll get the ball rolling. He was so jazzed about the idea. Weird that it happened the day that I get to use the computer and see this, huh? (Actually, it kind of freaked me out when I read the title -- it was that "goosebumps" moment -- think "Twilight Zone" music in your head!)
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#25 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 05:00 PM

I'm THERE! Anywhere. I would be willing to help organize, whatever. I think Chicago would be great because it's sort of a midway point, but I think U of M in Baltimore might really have an interest in doing something like this. Let me know if you want to start a letter writing campaign. I'd be happy to write to them. :)

Lynee- Where are you? I know you'e south of me but I forget where.

#26 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 05:17 PM

HI guys
I just saw this..what an amazing idea.
Lynne, did you get your computer backtoday...?? or am i looking at an old thread?
I'd be in depending on where it is?
Judy in Philly
Judy in Southern CA

#27 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 05:42 PM

Naw, she didn't get it back yet. I talked to her on the phone today, she said she was going to try to get a hold of someone's laptop to pop in here.......

Hugs.
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#28 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:45 PM

I'm popped in! I live in Kentucky -- and evidently sound like it, as well (so I've been told :P ) I told that to my son -- he was howling laughing and reminded me of what hick I sounded like when I was little!!! At least I've TRIED to northern it up, but it's futile. I live in Louisville -- we wear shoes, have indoor plumbing, go to the dentist regularly, etc. And we do have our share of rednecks -- in some parts of the outskirts of our city, bright blue eye shadow is a staple.

That being said, we do have a great convention board, lots of good hotels, and some pretty cool things around here. However, I may be just too far away -- maybe we do need to be more centrally located. B-man would still love to be in on it -- he is like Super Gluten-Free Man! He has become such an advocate. His support and determination to help have been unbelievable.

I'm using my hubby's work laptop tonight -- he went to bed with a sinus headache and I said, "Oh, I hope you feel better -- can you connect me to the internet first?" He thought my sympathy was feigned, at best!

At any rate, I'M IN -- WHEREVER IT IS. If I have to wheel my fat butt there myself, I'll be wherever it is!!
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#29 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:15 PM

I would so do this, i love iron chef!
Molly

#30 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:49 AM

I think having it at the U of M would be a really good idea with their celiac research center. That would probably be a great place to kick off an annual thing. Plus, they would maybe help with funding??? We could have it at a different hospital/research center every year until it got too big and we had to rent a convention center for it.

Does anybody know who the guy that does the Christmas lights for Celiac is? Maybe he could televise the convention online for those of us that couldn't make it???
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: