This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Idea - How About A gluten-free Convention

Nantzie

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

HI guys

I just saw this..what an amazing idea.

Lynne, did you get your computer backtoday...?? or am i looking at an old thread?

I'd be in depending on where it is?

Judy in Philly

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Canadian Karen Community Regular

Naw, she didn't get it back yet. I talked to her on the phone today, she said she was going to try to get a hold of someone's laptop to pop in here.......

Hugs.

Karen

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

I'm popped in! I live in Kentucky -- and evidently sound like it, as well (so I've been told :P ) I told that to my son -- he was howling laughing and reminded me of what hick I sounded like when I was little!!! At least I've TRIED to northern it up, but it's futile. I live in Louisville -- we wear shoes, have indoor plumbing, go to the dentist regularly, etc. And we do have our share of rednecks -- in some parts of the outskirts of our city, bright blue eye shadow is a staple.

That being said, we do have a great convention board, lots of good hotels, and some pretty cool things around here. However, I may be just too far away -- maybe we do need to be more centrally located. B-man would still love to be in on it -- he is like Super Gluten-Free Man! He has become such an advocate. His support and determination to help have been unbelievable.

I'm using my hubby's work laptop tonight -- he went to bed with a sinus headache and I said, "Oh, I hope you feel better -- can you connect me to the internet first?" He thought my sympathy was feigned, at best!

At any rate, I'M IN -- WHEREVER IT IS. If I have to wheel my fat butt there myself, I'll be wherever it is!!

flagbabyds Collaborator

I would so do this, i love iron chef!

Guhlia Rising Star

I think having it at the U of M would be a really good idea with their celiac research center. That would probably be a great place to kick off an annual thing. Plus, they would maybe help with funding??? We could have it at a different hospital/research center every year until it got too big and we had to rent a convention center for it.

Does anybody know who the guy that does the Christmas lights for Celiac is? Maybe he could televise the convention online for those of us that couldn't make it???

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

WOW DO YOU REALIZE WHAT BRIGHT PEOPLE ARE ON THIS BOARD???

YOU ALL HAVE SUCH AMAZING IDEAS

IT WOULD SO A 'DREAM COME TRUE' TO ACTUALLY PULL THIS OFF.

I KNOW I FOR ONE CAN'T AFFORD THAT 'CRUISE' GREAT IDEA BUT I COULDN'T DO IT.

IT WOULD BE SO WONDERFUL TO SEE EACHOTHER AND EAT FOOD WE DIDN'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT.

NERVANA..

JUDY IN PHILLY

jerseyangel Proficient

It would be great if we could find a way to get together! I am afraid to go on a cruise :ph34r: --my anxiety has improved, but not that much! If the convention was on dry land, and I could get there by car, I would be there :D . I'll be happy to help any way I can to make it happen.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

BIG 'DITO' TO JERSEY :ph34r: NO CRUISE'S FOR ME. CALL ME CHICKEN BUT I WANT TO SEE LAND.

I'LL HELP TOO. HOPE IT'S SOME WHERE I CAN DRIVE TO ALSO.

JUDY

Guest BERNESES

Ok- I'll email U of M today and see what they say. I'm into this. :blink::D

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm getting excited!!!!!

Guhlia Rising Star

Judy, if we have to fly, we can always fly together so it won't be so nervewracking. I haven't been on a plane since 10th grade in high school, I'm not into the flying idea unless I have to. I'd be probably going out of the Philly or Baltimore airport though if I had to fly. We could just try to get everyone from the area on the same plane so it's not so bad...

I think we can definitely do this. I'd love to be involved in some way. I have a few ideas too that I haven't put on here. Why don't we form a committee to organize the event. I'd be happy to join. We could start a chat on AIM (I'm thinking most people probably have that or could download it free from AOL). Then we could all talk together without spending big money on phone bills. Plus, after spending a year after college doing telemarketer work, I'm a little phone shy. Nothing like getting yelled at all day long!!! Does good for the self-esteem... ;)

Anyway, I'm thinking early April of 2007. That gives us a year to plan, get funding, sponsors, etc... We may also want to look at getting speakers and/or entertainment depending on the location. Do any of you celiacs have any special talents or know someone with a special talent that would perform?!?!?! :)

Oooohhhhh... One more idea.... At the first conference, we could ask for everyone to "donate" their favorite gluten free recipe. Then, we could compile the recipes into a book and sell it to benefit the hospital/research center that housed the convention OR sell it at the next convention while accepting new recipe submissions. I'm sure a ton of you have some totally awesome recipes that we would all love to prepare for our own families.

Rusla Enthusiast

First question is; when would this be planned for 2007?

I will do exactly what I was doing for the cruise. I will donate a gift bag of gluten-free products from my business. By then if it is next year, I should have my makeup formulated so, each bag will have trial sizes of assorted things. This means of course that I will need official tallies of all men and women.

We would have to set up hotels and a place that would have portable kitchens for the competitions.We would have to go to our Celiac Associations to see if they will advertise it on their web sites, see if we can get a donation of t-shirts or at least get them cheap Etc.

jerseyangel Proficient
I will donate a gift bag of gluten-free products from my business. By then if it is next year, I should have my makeup formulated so, each bag will have trial sizes of assorted things.

This is sounding better all the time!! :D

Guest BERNESES

CHECK THIS OUT! I know it's a bit late notice, but when i went to the U of M website, I found this. It's a start. Could anyone make it for this? I'm going to talk to my hubby about going. I'll still email them about setting up a larger convention.

The link is: Open Original Shared Link

Come and Celebrate the 10th Anniversary of the Center for Celiac Research and support the wonderful work that is being done here!!! Don�t Miss It � It's Going to be Great!!

Friday, May 12th � Marriott Baltimore Inner Harbor at Camden Yards, 110 South Eutaw Street, Baltimore, MD 21201

Wonderful gluten-free dinner, entertainment & silent auction (including gluten-free beer) � 7:00 pm

Child friendly � clown and some entertainment by children

$65.00 per person

$25.00 for children

Saturday, May 13th � Center for Celiac Research, 20 Penn Street, Baltimore, MD 21201

Tour of Center for Celiac Research,

Drs. Fasano & Catassi to talk on the Center�s accomplishments and Update on research

Dr. Robert Anderson will speak on a possible vaccine

We will have exciting new updates on the Center

Possibly speaker from FDA re: new food labeling law (waiting for confirmation from FDA) & Gluten-Free vendors

NO CHARGE

Tours 10:00am

Speakers begin at 11:00am

Oriole pregame barbeque � 3:00 pm

Camden Warehouse 6th floor overlooking the field

Gluten-free menu (gluten-free beer included)

$23.50 Adult

$16.50 Children

Oriole game Orioles vs Kansas City Royals � 4:35

Group Rate - Oriole game tickets � Upper reserved $12.00; Lower box - 24.00

Tickets are available online or by calling the Center at 410-706-8021.

Special parking rate for all day (including Oriole game) - $6.00 � Pratt Street Garage

Rusla Enthusiast

Whoops, I missed that April Part. Also, just as I said I would do for the cruise I will post bulletins in health food stores etc. We should have contacts in different states or east, west in the US and Canada. As for messenger things, I have ICQ and Yahoo will not and can't download it anyway onto my Mac butt we could all do Yahoo.

Guhlia Rising Star

For t-shirts we can hit up LOCAL screenprinting joints.... I MAY (big may) be able to get my family do donate vinyl stickers. I'm thinking we should probably do goodie bags for all participants in any contests, maybe even for all attendees if we can get enough sponsorship. We can probably get a local embroidery shop to do sweatshirts for us for little or nothing.

We'll need to come up with a program for all attendees. I have the Adobe CS pro, so I could help with this if anyone would like to work with me on it. This would also be another great place to make money to fund the convention. We can sell ad space in the program. We could even sell personal space in the back (like at our one racetrack they do a listing of patrons that donated money to go towards the "big race" purse). It would be just a listing of people who helped out by donating like $5 and they would get x amount of line space (xx characters per $5). This would allow people to spend the year getting "sponsors" like family members and friends to donate small amounts of money and it would be very little work compiling those pages. I definitely would like to volunteer to help with a program.

Do we have any journalists in the house? Any marketing people (I do marketing)?

I'm thinking we should probably do a raffle (though we'll have to look into state laws on this). A raffle would be a great way to pay for hall rental and insurance. We can raffle off donated products (like Rusla's gift bag), t-shirts, sweatshirts, even non-gluten related items. I'm sure we can get a ton of companies to donate things. We could likely get cooking utensils/instruments donated too if we approach things right... That would be so cool.

I think this could potentially be HUGE.

Rusla, I didn't know you had your own business... That's so cool!

Okay, I'm so excited now that I can't sit still!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rusla Enthusiast

My business is Pagan in nature, however; since my dx of Celiac,I added my handmade gluten-free lotions, soaps, deoderants, shampoos, lipsticks,animal shampoos etc., to it along with environmentally friendly cleaning products and fabric softeners. All which I make, I also design clothes. I have a fashion show in late 2007 that I am designing clothing for in Calgary.

What I would do would be to have a small gift bag for everyone attending with some trial sizes and I could do up a couple of baskets for raffles. Those would contain a mix of more products.

We would need to get Radman there to dance on the table.

Guhlia Rising Star

Oh my gosh, I would love to meet Radman! As well as the rest of you... You've become my dearest family over the past few months and I know that no one will ever understand what I go through every day like you guys do. That's why I proposed the gluten free group hug, because you all are my big, caring, sensitive, loving, gluten free family.

My dad said he would probably be interested in donating a small amount of stickers (like 100 or so). He owns a very small sign shop. He also had a GREAT idea for t-shirts. Why don't we do a celiac convention logo on the FRONT of the shirt, and then sell sponsorship spots on the BACK of the t-shirt. That's how a lot of organizations pay for their t-shirts... I could design a few logos for a committee to look over...

If we want to do this, let's develop a committee of about 10-20 people. Let's do that first so that we can assign responsibilities. If we want to try to get something together for 2007, we need to start soon. I've organized a lot of local events (way back when, we did benefits for our local AIDS project) and it's really time consuming. Anyone have any nominations??? Who's the person on this board that's always calling companies for everyone else??? Is that you, JudyinPhilly??? I can't remember... I'd like to nominate whoever that person is...

Rusla Enthusiast
Oh my gosh, I would love to meet Radman! As well as the rest of you... You've become my dearest family over the past few months and I know that no one will ever understand what I go through every day like you guys do. That's why I proposed the gluten free group hug, because you all are my big, caring, sensitive, loving, gluten free family.

My dad said he would probably be interested in donating a small amount of stickers (like 100 or so). He owns a very small sign shop. He also had a GREAT idea for t-shirts. Why don't we do a celiac convention logo on the FRONT of the shirt, and then sell sponsorship spots on the BACK of the t-shirt. That's how a lot of organizations pay for their t-shirts... I could design a few logos for a committee to look over...

If we want to do this, let's develop a committee of about 10-20 people. Let's do that first so that we can assign responsibilities. If we want to try to get something together for 2007, we need to start soon. I've organized a lot of local events (way back when, we did benefits for our local AIDS project) and it's really time consuming. Anyone have any nominations??? Who's the person on this board that's always calling companies for everyone else??? Is that you, JudyinPhilly??? I can't remember... I'd like to nominate whoever that person is...

The t-shirt thing is a good idea and below the name their phone number or website. I we can get the shirts donated, then the embroidery or silk screening donated, those companies would be sponsors. Now, as we already had a website up for the cruise in 2008, I have to get a hold of Deborah and see if there is a way we could also add this convention on for 2007.

Now for the logo we should have under it the year also. As for food donations they would more than likely have to come from down in the US, you guys have more choices down there anyway. Just look at some of the advertisers on this site and get a hold of them. Like the guys who do those pies. They were trying to find a way to get them into Canada but they are in the US and maybe they will donate some.MMMMMM

We also need to decide and I suspect a weekend would be good to hold this on like Friday to Sunday. Not a long weekend though.

Guhlia Rising Star

Rusla, I totally agree with you on all counts...

I can create a website if I have some help with content. I think we need to gather up some more information first, but a website is VERY doable. I could probably get one together within a week or two of having all the information. I would be happy to pay for the web hosting also (just don't tell my husband). I just really want to get this thing rolling. I don't think I've ever been so excited about anything before in my life.

One of the moderators... So the post doesn't get moved, could we please put a post up in the Coping With section since that seems to be the most popular section of the board?

I totally agree that it should be a weekend. If we're thinking of doing it in Maryland, it will probably need to be after February (for weather). I'm thinking either late late March or early April to avoid conflict with sports, summer vacations, mid term and final college exams, etc... I'm thinking it should probably be a Saturday and Sunday. That way people could take vacation Friday and Monday (a long weekend) to get there and get back home. We want to make this as easy as possible for people to attend. Maybe we could do 10-8 on Saturday and then 10-2 on Sunday??? That way people could still make an early church service if so desired and still have time to get home for Monday. Just an idea...

Rusla Enthusiast

Should find a hotel that is very close to where we plan to hold it unless we hold it in a convention room in the hotel. That way, us who come from other planets aren't getting lost. Of course depending on the amount of people going will determine whether I have to ship anything ahead of time or not.

Websites are cheap to buy, Deborah got a webhost to donate the hosting as that is usually very expensive. That is why I was thinking perhaps we could tie the two in together. On the Friday we could do a meet and greet or something like that, depending on when all the planes get in from those of us who would be flying in (to cold to ride my broom that far in April) and a dinner get together.

Guhlia Rising Star

I have 4 other websites and it would only cost me like $2.99 additional for another domain name... I can do the website no problem...

Rusla, great idea on a casual meet and great on Friday night. I like that. Since most of us have never met, it would be really cool to get to meet with our online friends before the big day. And for those that can't make it in on Friday evening, there will always be Saturday and Sunday to get acquainted. Maybe we could even have local restaurants reserve space for us and do gluten free meals??? Just a thought...

Where exactly is College Park, MD in relation to Baltimore??? Might we not want to do one of the convention centers in Baltimore??? They're HUGE with lots of hotels and parking garages around...

Rusla Enthusiast
I have 4 other websites and it would only cost me like $2.99 additional for another domain name... I can do the website no problem...

Rusla, great idea on a casual meet and great on Friday night. I like that. Since most of us have never met, it would be really cool to get to meet with our online friends before the big day. And for those that can't make it in on Friday evening, there will always be Saturday and Sunday to get acquainted. Maybe we could even have local restaurants reserve space for us and do gluten free meals??? Just a thought...

Where exactly is College Park, MD in relation to Baltimore??? Might we not want to do one of the convention centers in Baltimore??? They're HUGE with lots of hotels and parking garages around...

That is a good question, we need all those in Maryland to post that. Well, Maryland is one of the States I have not been to yet. I will have my camera so I can get pictures of everyone and Radman dancing on the table if he comes.

Guhlia Rising Star

Okay, on mapquest I found...

Open Original Shared Link

It looks like it's pretty close to Washington DC for those of you that like to sightsee... It's not close to Baltimore though. However, I would imagine that there are plenty of hotels and what not in the town since it is a college town AND it's right by DC...

Rusla Enthusiast

Well I have never been to DC either. I really haven't been down the East Coast at all of the US. I have been to every state that looks like Saskatchewan and the beautiful states on the West Coast.

I like getting pictures of derelicts and derelict buildings. Got any of those in DC? :P

Archived