Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Difference Between Wheat Allergy And Cd?

4 posts in this topic

Hi! I'm new here and just had a few questions. My two and a half year old daughter has had loose stools with lots of mucous for the past year. I've also seen a tiny amount of blood mixed with mucous on an INFREQUENT basis. Anyway, she was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in January after undergoing a colonoscopy. She had mild inflammation throughout the colon. I understand that celiac disease does not affect the colon, but I'm wondering if she might have celiac disease. I'm still not confident of the ulcerative colitis diagnosis - it's extremely rare in two year olds and we have NO family history. Plus, she does not fit the "classic case." She's on azulfidine for the ulcerative colitis, but it hasn't done a thing and it's already been two months.

She had the celiac panel done...the antigliadin IgA and IgG were both positive, but the reticulin and endomysial tests (which are more sensitive) were negative. The ped GI said we'll recheck those later. The fecal fat test was negative. She had some blood allergy tests done as well - the wheat RASP test was negative.

First of all, what's the difference between a wheat allergy and celiac disease? Secondly, what kind of symptoms would you see in a two year old? Any information would be greatly appreciated! It's been a stressful year with all her testing and no results!

Ads by Google:

Hi there,

I am sort of in the same boat as you! My 2 yr old dd has had loose frequent stools since January. I have seen lots of mucus in her stools too, but no blood (and from what I have read, it is not uncommon to have a little blood in stools here and there). My regular pediatrician ran some basic tests, and finally I asked him to check the anti-gliadin antibodies, and like your dd, they were both positive. She is also on the small side, at 21.5 lbs at 2 yrs (but normal for height). These are really the only symptoms she has. I'm not able to get her into a GI dr until July. I quit giving her gluten and dairy about 2 1/2 weeks ago and just a few days ago, she started having normal looking poops again! It was amazing! Have you tried going no diary? I have heard from so many people that dairy intolerance (NOT just lactose intolerance) is so common, and it wouldn't hurt to try cutting it out. But it can take a few weeks to show improvement. You also have to check labels VERY carefully, because dairy is in a lot of surprising places, like lunch meat(sodium caseinate I think.) Also, I quit giving my dd citrus juices (only white grape juice occasionally) a few days ago, because that can aggravate diarrhea as well.

I can imagine your stress! Atleast you have been able to see the right drs. I had to practically beg my dr to practically any tests. I asked for him to run the anti-gliadin antibodies months ago, but he wanted me to wait until JULY to see the GI dr. I just can't imagine waiting that long to deal with something like diarrhea. Anyway, how is her growth and development? PM me privately if you want to chat some more.

From what I have read at enterolab.com, Dr. Fine says basically that where there's smoke, there's fire and anti-gliadin antibodies are enough for you to remove gluten from her diet. My other kids were tested as well, both coming up with positive IgG antibodies, and I emailed Dr. Fine, and he says that just the one antibody against gluten being positive is enough to remove gluten from their diet. I'm not educated enough to know who to believe!

Mel

If someone has one type of antibody against gluten, then gluten should not be consumed at all. Even though it is "just one", it is still your signal that the body is fighting the gluten. The human body is notoriously adaptable: if one antibody can't win the "war", then more will be produced to help. I would listen to Dr Fine.

A wheat allergy is an IgE (one of the immunoglobins) mediated response to the protein in wheat, but not necessarily rye, barley, or oats that causes, among other things, histamine release. Gluten intolerance and celiac disease are an IgA and IgG (two other immunoglobins) mediated response to the protein chain that is common between wheat, barley, rye, and (maybe, but not all that likely) oats that causes, among other things the immune system to damage to the intestines.