28 replies to this topic

#1 barbara3675@verizon.net

barbara3675@verizon.net

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:29 PM

My mother says she went to Olive Garden today and they had a gluten free menu for her. There were three items on it: the T-Bone, pork and salmon. I had pretty much figured out that the steak and salmon were gluten-free as our family had eaten there recently, but now they say the pork is gluten-free too. I know a lot of gluten-free people steer clear of Olive Garden and with good reason, but maybe now we can reconsider. I wonder what they say about their salad dressing and the parmeasan cheese on their salad? Olive Garden is the #1 dining place in that particular category and a favorite in my family especially one of my older granddaughters (not the one with celiac disease). Has anyone else had a good experience there? Barbara

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 key

key

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:40 PM

THis previously was my favorite restaurant. I don't eat any meat though, so this would be out, but I have wondered too about their dressing? Maybe someone knows. There website doesn't mention anything that I could find previously. Would like to know.
Monica

#3 erin24

erin24

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:29 PM

THis previously was my favorite restaurant. I don't eat any meat though, so this would be out, but I have wondered too about their dressing? Maybe someone knows. There website doesn't mention anything that I could find previously. Would like to know.
Monica

I went there a couple of weeks ago. I got the salmon and it was pretty good. I guess I get really tired of salmon though. Our waitress said the salad is gluten-free. However, she still put croutons in it. I decided not to eat it mainly b/c there were croutons in it. Our waitress was really willing to help and she seemed pretty confident that the salad is gluten-free. Hope that helps.

#4 minibabe

minibabe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:35 PM

Wow, I thought that this place was off limits......I will have to go and try it out. :)

#5 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:38 PM

I just got an e-mail response from them a few days ago. Here's what they had to say:

Dear Angie:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding menu items for Gluten Intolerant guests. We can recommend the following items with some adjustments. Let your server know you are interested in menu items especially for Gluten Intolerance. Your server will be happy to accommodate your request.

Salads
Garden Salad - Order without croutons
Caesar Salad - Order without croutons

Entrees
Tuscan T-Bone brushed with Italian herbs and served with seasoned broccoli Pork Filettino marinated in extra-virgin olive oil and rosemary and served with seasoned broccoli Herb-Grilled Salmon brushed with Italian herbs and extra-virgin olive oil accompanied by seasoned broccoli

While Olive Garden has made an effort to provide complete and current gluten content information, changes in recipes, and the hand crafted nature of our menu items, mean that variations in the ingredient profile of a particular menu item may occur from time to time. Therefore, we make no guarantees regarding the gluten content of any of these items. Guests with gluten intolerance or other special food sensitivities or dietary needs should not rely solely on this information as the basis for deciding whether to consume a particular menu item, and are individually responsible for ensuring that any such menu item meets their individual dietary requirements. Olive Garden assumes no liability for your use of this information. Any medical concerns regarding the consumption of these items should be directed to your physician or other health care provider. If you would like to speak with an Olive Garden representative, please call us at 1-800-331-2729.

Andy
Olive Garden Guest Relations
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#6 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:27 PM

I've eaten there gluten-free, it wasn't too bad. I do love the salad. My only complaint is that I flippin' hate cooked broccoli, and it's the only veggie that they have. Barf. Can't they get some green beans or something??

Carolyn

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. "
- Hunter S. Thompson

#7 tiffjake

tiffjake

Life is good....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 04:14 AM

Thank you soooo much for posting this! My husband loves olive garden, and wanted to go there when he gets home from Iraq. Thanks for letting me know this because I would have never gone there again assuming that I couln't eat anything they had! God Bless You!!! Tiffany
EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes
DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005
Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.
THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

#8 jams

jams

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:08 AM

Things may have changed since I used to work there... but I would NEVER eat the salad. There is a HUGE risk of CC. It is set up as a buffet. Salad is first in a big chiller. Then then there is a long section that houses the veggies, (blk olives, toms, onion) CROUTONS, and dressing. Our favorite thing to do was pull out the croutons that had falledn in the dressing and eat them. This happened a lot!!

I would ask the manager/server if the server/salad person still make the salads. Then ask them if croutons are housed right next to the dressing. It is all done so fast to keep up with the rush that things fly everywhere.

I don't want to dissapoint anyone, I just don't want anyone to get sick. :)
Angi
Milw/Madison, Wisconsin
Diagnosed 12-2003 positive biopsy confirmed w/bloodwork
gluten-free from 5-2004

#9 TinkerbellSwt

TinkerbellSwt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:22 AM

Thanks for the advice on the salad at the Olive Garden. I pretty much thought they were off limits for us too. I am so glad I can go there again. We so enjoy the sangria that they make there. It is soooo good! I would think we probably could have that?

Tinkerbell
Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05
son born severly premature due to
celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

#10 KayJay

KayJay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:34 PM

My family sometimes buys the dressing and we put it on our salads at home. It is really good that way too and you know that it is safe :D
gluten-free since 2004!

#11 Idahogirl

Idahogirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:13 PM

I just can't imagine Olive Garden and no soup, salad and breadsticks! We used to go there all the time for lunch, and I would get the Zuppe Tuscana soup and dip my breadstick in it. I think I would have a hard time watching people eat all the good stuff with the pasta and sauces. Although, it is great that they are becoming aware of gluten intolerance.

Lisa

#12 tiffjake

tiffjake

Life is good....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:42 PM

OK, I went to my local olive garden and it was terrible!!!!! There was no menu, and the manager had no idea what I was talking about. He handed me the sheet that talks about the garden fare (or healthier options) and on the front of it is says to "ask a manager about our menu for guests with a gluten intolerence". He was really suprised to see that! He said that it meant that all he was to do was to help me navigate the normal menu. He suggested the t-bone with the potatos. When I got it I saw that they were fried potatos. I had to send it back. Then he said that the only option was the broccoli. I got that instead, but was just overall dissapointed. Just wanted to share that experience with someone else so you don't get your hopes up and get dissapointed like me!!
EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes
DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005
Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.
THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

#13 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:07 AM

Things may have changed since I used to work there... but I would NEVER eat the salad. There is a HUGE risk of CC. It is set up as a buffet. Salad is first in a big chiller. Then then there is a long section that houses the veggies, (blk olives, toms, onion) CROUTONS, and dressing. Our favorite thing to do was pull out the croutons that had falledn in the dressing and eat them. This happened a lot!!

Good to know--scary too!!

On that note, I have a friend who was a server at a local restaurant, they also had a similar salad set-up. For some reason she said they would get spiders and "bugs" in the salad from time to time. They'd just pull them out before serving. Yikes! :o
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#14 jams

jams

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:09 PM

Thanks for the advice on the salad at the Olive Garden. I pretty much thought they were off limits for us too. I am so glad I can go there again. We so enjoy the sangria that they make there. It is soooo good! I would think we probably could have that?
Tinkerbell

I'd also ask how they make the sangria. My friend has a great recipe that has lemonade or rasp lemonade in it. You just need to watch out for that.

Jen,

YUCK!! That gives me the creapies just thinking that could happen anywhere!!
Angi
Milw/Madison, Wisconsin
Diagnosed 12-2003 positive biopsy confirmed w/bloodwork
gluten-free from 5-2004

#15 ciavyn

ciavyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:20 AM

Update on Olive Garden - I just spoke to their customer relations office. When you are ordering their salad: order it crouton free, and quite honestly, I'd order it without any toppings. THEN order the to-go dressing cups. These are prepackaged from the company, and are gluten free (no CC to worry about.) It's a safer way to enjoy their yummy dressing (definitely my FAVORITE dressing).
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: