This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Connection Between Grapes And Gluten?

Flyingmango

Flyingmango Newbie

Has anyone experienced side effects/intolerance/allergy symptoms to grapes? I'm finding if I eat red grapes, drink red wine or fruit punches containing grapes, that I get the same symptoms as I do when I eat gluten. Funny enough, green grapes and white wine don't seem to bother. Any thoughts, or similar experiences?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kareng

• cyclinglady

• Anniehall

• Scott Adams

Top Posters In This Topic

• kareng

kareng 6 posts

• cyclinglady

cyclinglady 6 posts

• Anniehall

Anniehall 6 posts

• Scott Adams

Scott Adams 5 posts

cgilsing Enthusiast

I don't get the same reaction that I do with gluten, but many wines (not all....and I haven't figured out the connection between the ones that do....it's not just red or just white) make me break out in what can only be described as hives. It looks a lot like the mask that people with Lupus get. It is BRIGHT red, and forms triangles on my cheeks and across my nose....sometimes I'll have blotches above my eyebrows too. It's weird because there is such a defined line where it ends. It doesn't just fade into the surrounding skin. It's neon red inside the triangle and ghost white outside of it. You would just have to see it! It's embarassing because I can't feel it happening and it happens right away before I even finish the glass. I find out when someone finally says "God, are you alright....you should sit down!" It usually doesn't happen with grapes, but I did have it happen once when I was eating a fruit salad that contained grapes (very embarassing...it was at work :rolleyes: )

penguin Community Regular

I think there are a lot of tannins in red wine...that might be a problem. I know the skin of the red grapes are chock full of good for you chemicals, but they're powerful and you may be reacting to them.

Guest cassidy

My mom can't have red wine, but she can have white just fine, but I'm not sure if it causes her a glutened type reaction, or just doesn't make her feel well. She has problems with things like msg, and caramel coloring even if they don't contain gluten.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Grapes (especially red) are extremely high in salicylates and amines. They are naturally occurring chemicals that some people are sensitive to. I'm sensitive to these chemicals and it feels like I've been glutened. It took me forever to figure out what the problem was.

• 7 years later...
miguel54b Apprentice

I joined this forum because of this post. I was blaming my wife for my latest gluten reaction but today I ate some red grapes and my intestines started making that noise and I am having a reaction. I remembered that I ate grapes that day she made that chicken salad. I am going to wait a few days to try the red wine I bought yesterday; I had felt a slight reaction before after drinking wine but I am not sure.

Thanks.

kareng Grand Master

I joined this forum because of this post. I was blaming my wife for my latest gluten reaction but today I ate some red grapes and my intestines started making that noise and I am having a reaction. I remembered that I ate grapes that day she made that chicken salad. I am going to wait a few days to try the red wine I bought yesterday; I had felt a slight reaction before after drinking wine but I am not sure.

Thanks.

This topic is almost 8 years old.  Grapes do not contain gluten.  As these posters mentioned, it could be other substances in the grapes or wine that bother you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 year later...
Dancingfeet Newbie

I have only recently been diagnosed with coeliac disease.

I ate red grapes yesterday for the first time since diagnosis.

The symptoms I had afterwards literally 4 hours later was as though I had overdosed on gluten.

Pain, sickness, etc.

kareng Grand Master

I have only recently been diagnosed with coeliac disease.

I ate red grapes yesterday for the first time since diagnosis.

The symptoms I had afterwards literally 4 hours later was as though I had overdosed on gluten.

Pain, sickness, etc.

Grapes do not contain gluten.

Grapes do have other things that may bother a person, especially a person who has not healed well yet.  Don't eat them and try them again in a few months would be my suggestion.

Dancingfeet Newbie

Yes I know grapes do not contain gluten. Its a fresh fruit.

But for me, they give me the same symptoms as if I had eaten gluten. Not realising until it was too late.

I have the support of a nutritionist and not even she warned me about red grapes.

kareng Grand Master

Yes I know grapes do not contain gluten. Its a fresh fruit.

But for me, they give me the same symptoms as if I had eaten gluten. Not realising until it was too late.

I have the support of a nutritionist and not even she warned me about red grapes.

There is no reason to warn you about grapes.  They are safe for Celiacs.  You may have a problem with some part of the grapes - some people, Celiac or not, do.  There was no way for your nutritionist to know that you have an issue with them.

nvsmom Community Regular

Yep, some foods just bother some people.  For me, it is raw apples and pears.  It causes a raw strong pain that feels like gluten would, but it is a completely unrelated reaction.  It's just a food that doesn't agree with me.

I too think it's odd that a nutritionist would warn you about grapes unless you had already complained that grapes bother you?

GFinDC Veteran

I react to grapes also, but not like i react to gluten.  I get more of an allergic type reaction.  One idea about other food intolerances we develop is that the prolonged gut irritation can somehow cause the body to develop reactions to other foods besides gluten.  That could be why some people on the forum have many additional food intolerances listed in their signatures.  It's possible for a totally random food intolerance to develop after your gut is irritated for a long time.  Perhaps more likely with foods that you eat often.  Some people follow and rotation diet in part to avoid intolerances from developing.

Dancingfeet Newbie

Thank you for the last post. That's far more helpful.

I would expect a nutritionist to explain that this could happen seeing as they are the ones with the initial knowledge on these things.

Rotation is also something that has not been mentioned to me, but certainly something worth knowing about.

Thank you

• 1 year later...
Alan7 Newbie

One may experience cross-reactivity.  So even foods that are gluten-free can trick the immune system into thinking it is gluten and trigger a reaction.  On the other hand one can also be allergic to grapes.

• 3 years later...
Betty Paterson Newbie
On 3/24/2006 at 4:41 PM, Flyingmango said:

Has anyone experienced side effects/intolerance/allergy symptoms to grapes? I'm finding if I eat red grapes, drink red wine or fruit punches containing grapes, that I get the same symptoms as I do when I eat gluten. Funny enough, green grapes and white wine don't seem to bother. Any thoughts, or similar experiences?

I thought I would treat myself and have red grapes instead of green......wrong move! I was so ill I have promised myself never to eat red grapes ever again.

I will stick to green ones in future!!

kareng Grand Master
2 hours ago, Betty Paterson said:

I thought I would treat myself and have red grapes instead of green......wrong move! I was so ill I have promised myself never to eat red grapes ever again.

I will stick to green ones in future!!

That’s fine but all colors of grapes are gluten-free and fine for a Celiac.  You might have some other problem with grapes.  

I almost always eat the red and purple grapes and not green

Edited by kareng
GFinDC Veteran

I don't tolerate grapes well myself.  It's not a gluten reaction but another food intolerance that developed.  Result is the same though, I don't eat grapes.

cyclinglady Grand Master

All grapes contain tannin.  Many people are intolerant to tannin.  There are other possibilities too.  Like my kid just got sick on grapes (she does not have celiac disease).  She was a victim of gluttony.  Lesson learned.  ?

squirmingitch Veteran
28 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

All grapes contain tannin.  Many people are intolerant to tannin.  There are other possibilities too.  Like my kid just got sick on grapes (she does not have celiac disease).  She was a victim of gluttony.  Lesson learned.  ?

I'm on my second week of red grapes that are so scrumptious that I nearly have to be torn away from them. Yeah, I've come a hairs breadth from said sickness due to gluttony. Oh man! These grapes are good though. They are at the peak of perfection.

Betty Paterson Newbie
On 9/9/2019 at 1:37 PM, kareng said:

That’s fine but all colors of grapes are gluten-free and fine for a Celiac.  You might have some other problem with grapes.  

I almost always eat the red and purple grapes and not green

I seem to be okay with green grapes but decided to buy red ones for a change, I realise I ate a few but not as many as I would have had they been green. I can't think of anything else I could have eaten that would have made me so violently sick, I always stick to gluten free food. I do realise I was only diagnosed five months ago and I have a long way to go and learn about gluten-free but having this site to refer to I am sure it will help very much. I will try and be careful in future what I eat. Thank you for your comments.

CATRYNA Rookie
17 minutes ago, Betty Paterson said:

I seem to be okay with green grapes but decided to buy red ones for a change, I realise I ate a few but not as many as I would have had they been green. I can't think of anything else I could have eaten that would have made me so violently sick, I always stick to gluten free food. I do realise I was only diagnosed five months ago and I have a long way to go and learn about gluten-free but having this site to refer to I am sure it will help very much. I will try and be careful in future what I eat. Thank you for your comments.

I have always had a problem with grapes and anything from the grape family; raisins, wine, grape juice, etc. Even a small ingestion will cause a massive migraine within minutes.

notme Experienced
On 6/21/2016 at 5:30 PM, Alan7 said:

One may experience cross-reactivity.  So even foods that are gluten-free can trick the immune system into thinking it is gluten and trigger a reaction.  On the other hand one can also be allergic to grapes.

cross-reactivity is a myth.  cross-reactivity is a myth.  cross-reactivity is a myth.  cross-reactivity is a myth.  gluten is the only thing that will cause a gluten reaction.  that is wheat, barley and rye.  NOT coffee, NOT grapes or any other food.  

I can eat white grapes, drink white wine - can not do red wine or grapes.  not anything to do with gluten

made the grandkid go outside if he was gonna jump around and he ate a bunch of white (green) grapes and came in and puked.  didn't wonder about it lolz  :D 

cyclinglady Grand Master
2 hours ago, CATRYNA said:

I have always had a problem with grapes and anything from the grape family; raisins, wine, grape juice, etc. Even a small ingestion will cause a massive migraine within minutes.

Most likely tannins and a possible histamine intolerance.    I had a family friend who made wine up in Napa.  As he aged, he could no longer drink his red wines for the very same reason you gave.  ?

squirmingitch Veteran