This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Strict Do We Need To Be?

radman

VydorScope Proficient
That's exactly what happens to him- he mentioned the tongue thing last night. Intriguing? He was diagnosed with a wheat allergy when he was younger (multiple allergies actually) but according to his pediatrician years ago- he outgrew them. maybe not?

Tounge tingling is a clasic food allergy reaction.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nikki-uk Enthusiast
Tounge tingling is a clasic food allergy reaction.

:o Oh crumbs!-G.F of course.

Didn't know that about the tongue tingly thing.

I might add that my eczema is markedly improved post G.F.

Wonder if my hayfever will be as severe this year?

VydorScope Proficient
:o Oh crumbs!-G.F of course.

Didn't know that about the tongue tingly thing.

I might add that my eczema is markedly improved post G.F.

Wonder if my hayfever will be as severe this year?

From The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network:

(Open Original Shared Link)

What are the common symptoms of a reaction?

Symptoms range from a tingling sensation in the mouth, swelling of the tongue and the throat, difficulty breathing, hives, vomiting, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, drop in blood pressure, and loss of consciousness to death. Symptoms typically appear within minutes to two hours after the person has eaten the food to which he or she is allergic.

radman Newbie

Hi all.

Yes, I do think my gut will "complain" when it gets a level of gluten which will cause damage. It will be very easy for me to know, since my bowels have been so different ever since going gluten free. I think I'll eat a nice big Sierra Turkey on Focaccia at Panera Bread for my challenge.

I wouldn't say I don't have villi damage, I'm sure I did with my previous diet. But enough healing apparently occurred within a few days for my malabsorption to completely abate. However, if I find that my symptoms after a gluten challenge are no more severe than they were with my previous glutenous diet, I may occassionally cheat. I wouldn't do this often, because I know that it will cause some villi damage. It will be minor, however, compared to the 2-3 years of daily high dose gluten intake and subsequent damage I got before I figured this out.

Again, I'm not suggesting anyone else do this. It's just my own thinking. If my symptoms increase then I won't be able to do it.

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Beverly -- my husband just did the same thing! He has been gluten-free with me (pretty much exclusively), has a little gluten now & then. He went to Buckheads for lunch today -- don't know what he ate, because he came in clammy & sweaty, with body aches. He said that, about an hour after lunch, he started with the big D that didn't stop. He's NOT celiac. I think it's pretty interesting that gluten can do that to him . .. . .

penguin Community Regular
Beverly -- my husband just did the same thing! He has been gluten-free with me (pretty much exclusively), has a little gluten now & then. He went to Buckheads for lunch today -- don't know what he ate, because he came in clammy & sweaty, with body aches. He said that, about an hour after lunch, he started with the big D that didn't stop. He's NOT celiac. I think it's pretty interesting that gluten can do that to him . .. . .

Lynne! Good to see you're on!!! Are you back yet, or just visiting? :)

Is the computer still sick?

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Interesting as well that we(non coeliacs) only started to feel these adverse affects after we were low gluten/G.F.

No effects at all when I ate high amounts of gluten everyday.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

But what does it mean? Does going off gluten cause a higher degree of gluten sensitivity no matter where you were on the spectrum before going off gluten?

I don't think other allergens do this. I went off nuts (all right, I am nuts) for a couple of years after getting married as my husband is allergic. I never had problems when I started eating them again.

This brings me back to a question I asked a few weeks ago: For those of us who have silent or nearly silent celiac (or are just pre-celiac) are we better off gluten-light rather than gluten-free? Is it better to consume small amounts that may or may not be doing damage, or to consume zero, but have huge and obviously damaging reactions when occasionally glutened by accident or by cross-contamination?

jenvan Collaborator
This brings me back to a question I asked a few weeks ago: For those of us who have silent or nearly silent celiac (or are just pre-celiac) are we better off gluten-light rather than gluten-free? Is it better to consume small amounts that may or may not be doing damage, or to consume zero, but have huge and obviously damaging reactions when occasionally glutened by accident or by cross-contamination?

Absolutely better to consume zero gluten...you should be able to keep cross-contamination to a very minimum...hopefully next-to-never amount. And no one wants to go through the horrible experience of getting sick from CC...but at least it can help identify the source.

I have experienced the sensitivity to reintroducing foods besides gluten. Not the exact same thing, but similar in nature... I used to give up sugar, candy, sweets for lent--I was a huge candy lover. On Easter, I would start eating candy and get sick to my stomach... I couldn't tolerate the amount I was used to eating in one sitting anymore...my body wasn't used to it. Major sugar hang-over...

VydorScope Proficient

Radman,

You state,

I may occassionally cheat. I wouldn't do this often, because I know that it will cause some villi damage.

and you also state

I do think my gut will "complain" when it gets a level of gluten which will cause damage.

So basicly, if I understand your view correctly, your saying "I do not care if I do damage to my body, nor do I realy care about symptons so long as I can occasionaly have gluten with out dieing, I plan to"

That about sum it up?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Why are you so sure he is not gluten intolerant or celiac? Sounds like he had a positive reaction to a gluten challenge to me. My husband was sure he wasn't too, I bullied the doctor into doing a celiac panel and guess who came up a low positve.

jerseyangel Proficient
Why are you so sure he is not gluten intolerant or celiac? Sounds like he had a positive reaction to a gluten challenge to me. My husband was sure he wasn't too, I bullied the doctor into doing a celiac panel and guess who came up a low positve.

I thought the same thing--don't 97% of Celiacs go undiagnosed? Makes sense that there would be lots of people all around us that are affected. Something to think about :)

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Well yes,I have thought 'Could I be a coeliac too-maybe I was a silent coeliac.'

However,as I'm gluten-free now,no point in going for blood tests and in my experience even when you're seriously ill (as hubbie was)it's the last thing doctors want to do/look for.

If I had the money,I would be really interested in getting the gene test though!

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast
Lynne! Good to see you're on!!! Are you back yet, or just visiting? :)

Is the computer still sick?

I'm ON!! I got my computer back . . . I'll tell you, I purchased an extended warranty from Toshiba rather than from the store -- I paid about another 30-50 dollars for the "deluxe" warranty! It all ended up being about $200. After owning this computer for three years, I got a new LCD screen, a new motherboard, and a new "case" -- the bottom part of the laptop, including a new mousepad & buttons and keyboard -- at no cost. Not bad, huh??? I'm now an advocate for purchasing your extended warranty from the COMPANY, not the store!

BTW: I just had the gene panel done; I had HLA DQ2 and DQ8 -- LabCorp, the laboratory that is most prevalent here, didn't have the ability to perform HLA DQ1. I also had the SpinoCerebellar Antibodies done -- but my co-pay is going to be at LEAST $1299. I told them to cancel it -- I didn't have that kind of money right now -- we know that I have ataxia -- I don't know that we need to know the EXACT type. (maybe, maybe not) I'll let you know how much they charge for the Celiac Genetic testing here . . . . .

VydorScope Proficient
I'm ON!! I got my computer back . . . I'll tell you, I purchased an extended warranty from Toshiba rather than from the store -- I paid about another 30-50 dollars for the "deluxe" warranty! It all ended up being about $200. After owning this computer for three years, I got a new LCD screen, a new motherboard, and a new "case" -- the bottom part of the laptop, including a new mousepad & buttons and keyboard -- at no cost. Not bad, huh??? I'm now an advocate for purchasing your extended warranty from the COMPANY, not the store![/qote]

Laptops are the one and only case that I suggest ppl get extended warrentees. On all my Dells, I get therie "complete care" warrentee and I have literly repalced my laptop multiple times in the 3 year period, for free. For example, one time I droped mine and just the right angle to snap the LCD right off the laptop. Sent it to them ang got a new screen+case for freee. It is the one and only expectiopn I have found to the NEVER BUY EXTENDED WARRENTEE rule. :)

Alexandra Newbie

Hi all (and especially Radman),

As a not-yet-diagnosed possible celiac (waiting on bloodwork results), I read this thread with interest.

In hunting around the web for information about celiac I ran across the following report, which might be of interest to those who want to know the current "medical evidence" stuff about celiac (I read parts of this with interest, though it conflicts with some of what's been posted here, and I am also sympathetic to the idea that doctors don't always "get" what patients' experiences should tell them) -- Open Original Shared Link.

-- Alexandra

Franceen Explorer
Hi all (and especially Radman),

As a not-yet-diagnosed possible celiac (waiting on bloodwork results), I read this thread with interest.

In hunting around the web for information about celiac I ran across the following report, which might be of interest to those who want to know the current "medical evidence" stuff about celiac (I read parts of this with interest, though it conflicts with some of what's been posted here, and I am also sympathetic to the idea that doctors don't always "get" what patients' experiences should tell them) -- Open Original Shared Link.

-- Alexandra

The link does not work. Tried the base page and that's fine but can't go any further than that.

Even search yields the "white screen of Internet death"!

Alexandra Newbie
The link does not work. Tried the base page and that's fine but can't go any further than that.

Franceen,

Ugh -- sorry! It does work for me (honest -- like, I just re-clicked the link in your reply to my post and went straight back to where I was, which is a 906(!) page PDF about celiac disease (a lot of that is appendices and references, though).

My best guess is maybe because I am logging on using my work computer which has an IP address associated with a research university (including a medical school), I can access it -- I often get "subscription" access to things this way (without necessarily even knowing it) -- because it's the school that's suscribed, not me.

There's a summary of the same report here: Open Original Shared Link. Don't know if that will work or not.

The whole long report wouldn't be interesting to people not inclined to read mind-numbing reports of numerous medical studies, and it might not interest people skeptical of doctors' overall understanding of celiac disease, either. But the summary does say, "...printed copies may be obtained free of charge...by calling 800-358-929. Requesters should ask for Evidence Report/Technology Assessment No. 104 Celiac Disease." Hope that helps and sorry you are having problems with the link.

-- Alexandra

Franceen Explorer

I will try it using my work computer from a .edu IP also. And I also have a .mil which I will try it from.

I work for Naval Posgraduate School at an Army base and have all 3 IP's .navy.mil, .nps.edu and .army.mil.

I can do it from here, but too late. Will try tomorrow. Thanks for the info. anyway. I am in similar boat as you getting diagnosed for DH (Dermatitis Herpetiformis - the skin version of Celiac). Blookwork was negative - but I was gluten-free for 4 months prior with only a minor challenge several weeks prior. The skin biopsy was also neg but I suspect the Dr. took the wrong spot for the wrong test. I have gastroenterologist appt next week. So, still studying dx tools.

Franceen

nikki-uk Enthusiast

It works ok for me and I'm on a home computer.

Do you have Adobe Acrobat on your P.C to read PDF files?

Franceen Explorer
It works ok for me and I'm on a home computer.

Do you have Adobe Acrobat on your P.C to read PDF files?

Yup have full version of Adobe Acrobat (V.7 too). I don't even get that far to where the doc. is.

I am not getting the error 404 (forbidden).

Maybe the site was down when I tried.

I'll try again in a little while. At work now, on a .mil IP.

VydorScope Proficient

Prbly has nothing to do with your ip and more to do with your patence :) Its a slow link... prehaps you did not wait long enough?

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Nope. I get the same problem.

I get the "This Page Cannot Be Displayed" that says there is a problem with the page.

The error page comes up immediately.

Karen

celiac3270 Collaborator

Works for me. Scott has told me to be careful about what I copy and paste onto the forum, so I don't violate any copyright laws... otherwise I would gladly copy and paste the text to the forum. I guess just e-mail me if you want to see it and I can copy and paste the text into a word document for you.

If you want a hardcopy of the whole report, though, it says at the end that you can obtain one for free (as of July 2004--don't know if it's still available):

The full evidence report from which this summary was taken

was prepared for the Agency for Healthcare Research and

Quality (AHRQ) by the University of Ottawa Evidence-based

Practice Center, under Contract No. 290-02-0021. It is

expected to be available in July 2004. At that time, printed

copies may be obtained free of charge from the AHRQ

Publications Clearinghouse by calling 800-358-9295.

Requesters should ask for Evidence Report/Technology

Assessment No. 104, Celiac Disease. In addition, Internet users

will be able to access the report and this summary online

through AHRQ’s Web site at www.ahrq.gov.

Guest BERNESES

celiac3270- LOVE your avatar!

Archived