489 replies to this topic

#481 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:21 PM

Parden my naivete, but what is wrong with Altoids. I am surrounded by a lot of them these days - especially the Wintergreen. I'm not too young for them! (54) but I'm not in love with them - I eat one or two every once in a while, normally on a plane. I will have to go look at ingredients! Are they full of Gluten? Or Cassein? Or Soy. I am only gluten-free. The rest of the allergens are ok for me (so far).
Franceen

The Altoids I picked up and looked at the other day had wheat listed as an ingredient, don't know if it is in all flavors but read carefully.

Oh and I'm not sure but I think it is what you can do with Altoids in your mouth as an enhancement that she thought celiac3270 might be too young for.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#482 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:41 PM

Oh and I'm not sure but I think it is what you can do with Altoids in your mouth as an enhancement that she thought celiac3270 might be too young for.

That is correct- celiac3270's generation is far too promiscuous with their use of Altoids. I used to teach middle school and ah-hem "Altoids" were the activity of choice due to the lower "risks" associated with them.

#483 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:00 PM

Yes, this is an old joke floating around here. It has been adult talk with mild suggestiveness.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#484 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:07 PM

Yep, definitely something I will never live down for the rest of my celiac.com life! :lol: celiac3270, I am very proud of you and your anti-Altoids stance. I wish more young people had your morals........ B) (I am married, I can be "immoral" in that department! :lol: :lol: )

Hugs.
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#485 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:36 PM

Of course--when you're married and probably more mature, you are free to make those decisions. I am taking the stance that people of my age aren't capable of making such decisions, for a number of reasons. For example, there is an inherent mental difference between the mind of a juvenile and that of an adult. The juvenile has an underdeveloped pre-frontal cortex (part of brain responsible for planning, rationality), and thus, makes especially active use of the amygdala (responsible for impulsive decisions). People at this age can't make rational decisions regarding such things.

Therefore, although peppermint Altoids are helpful in alleviating nausea due to motion sickness and the like, their use does not (or rather, should not) extend beyond that for those in juvenility. That's all! :P

For those still in the dark:

http://www.glutenfre...indpost&p=94588

#486 J.P.

J.P.

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:19 PM

Hi Ehrin,

sorry my analogy didn't sit well with you. My purpose is not to analyze diabetes, my only point is that diseases are highly variable from person to person. Not everyone is the same. Diabetes, breast cancer, high blood pressure, you name it . They all vary in severity, and the treatments are tailored to the severity. Not paying close attention to your salt intake when your BP is 138/85 is not the same as when your BP is 180/100. The consequences are very different. Now please, no hypertension sufferers need to reply, the analogy may also not be perfect, but the POINT is relevant.

So I did have a backslide slightly today, maybe those corn pops this morning. Now the advice to try to eat simple meals and not tempt fate seems the only way to go for the next few months. I wish I had more time for self preparing meals, but I'll do my best.

Hey Fiddle Faddle, don't be offended, but we appear to think the same way!

:lol:

I would like to re-emphasize that my personal concern is not short term symptoms (that is important but secondary). My concern is long term ramifications of less than strict gluten avoidance. I can regulate it to whatever controls my bowel symptoms and that will be just fine (I'm not saying I am going to do this, but just thinking about it). If I am at risk for other problems by doing this, then it is not wise. I don't believe there is clear evidence of what this type of approach to diet will do to long term risks of osteo or intestinal lymphoma which are my chief concerns. And again this is my own personal assessment for my own body. I am not advocating anything just letting my thoughts out to stimulate discussion.

-Hi just started reading this, but not the whole thing.
I have non-celiac gluten intolerance. I am a Medical Technologist (run a hospital laboratory). I figured out the gluten intolerance all on my own. That is not to say that I didn't see lots of doctors along the way for lots of different problems (my medical record is on to it's 3rd volume and the first one started at age 22 when I joined the military). I think that gluten intolerance can start without you even knowing it, cause damage slowly, and you think that you just feel that way because that's normal. My health deteriated over a long period of time, when I was in college my once thick beautiful hair began to fall out and now my white scalp shows through my dark hair. I do not cheat on my diet, having to travel and eat out makes me nervous. When other people prepare food you don't know what you are going to get. I was at a conference and the very first night I got exposed and I don't know what it was in. My stomach will expand as much as 5 inches, and let me tell you that hurts. I don't get D... most of the time I get constipated. I even had a hospital stay due to a bowel obstruction. I couldn't tell that gluten was my problem because I ate it all the time. When you don't eat it you feel normal, then you can feel the difference better than you could when you ate it all the time. If your body is feeling bad already, eating a little more may not make it worse and you won't be able to tell the difference.

I figured this out last year and have lost 15 lbs, my stomach doesn't expand everyday, everything is more regular. I'm sad for what I lost, but after all these years I'm glad that now I can do something to feel better. I'm one of those people diagnosised with Fibromylagia and constipation predominant irritable bowel, and chronic fatigue. I had half my thyroid removed due to a hyperactive nodule and there were lymphcyte infiltrates (white blood cells) characteristic of hasimotos disease (my sister, aunt and grandmother all had goiters). I'm hoping that the other half will be ok now that I'm on this diet, so far it is working in the normal range and I feel so good. I would encourage anyone with any form of gluten intolerance to stick to the diet.

Is there a good way to figure out what other food I may be sensitive too other than trial and error? I can't eat citric acid (oranges and rice cakes with citric acid irritate my stomach and cause rashes), food with blue no. 1 (marshmellows and red drinks) also irritate me
J.P.

#487 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:50 PM

I guess the obvious answer would be to get allergy tests to see if you have issues with dairy, soy, corn, etc.

#488 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:19 PM

-Hi just started reading this, but not the whole thing.
I have non-celiac gluten intolerance. I am a Medical Technologist (run a hospital laboratory). I figured out the gluten intolerance all on my own. That is not to say that I didn't see lots of doctors along the way for lots of different problems (my medical record is on to it's 3rd volume and the first one started at age 22 when I joined the military). I think that gluten intolerance can start without you even knowing it, cause damage slowly, and you think that you just feel that way because that's normal. My health deteriated over a long period of time, when I was in college my once thick beautiful hair began to fall out and now my white scalp shows through my dark hair. I do not cheat on my diet, having to travel and eat out makes me nervous. When other people prepare food you don't know what you are going to get. I was at a conference and the very first night I got exposed and I don't know what it was in. My stomach will expand as much as 5 inches, and let me tell you that hurts. I don't get D... most of the time I get constipated. I even had a hospital stay due to a bowel obstruction. I couldn't tell that gluten was my problem because I ate it all the time. When you don't eat it you feel normal, then you can feel the difference better than you could when you ate it all the time. If your body is feeling bad already, eating a little more may not make it worse and you won't be able to tell the difference.

I figured this out last year and have lost 15 lbs, my stomach doesn't expand everyday, everything is more regular. I'm sad for what I lost, but after all these years I'm glad that now I can do something to feel better. I'm one of those people diagnosised with Fibromylagia and constipation predominant irritable bowel, and chronic fatigue. I had half my thyroid removed due to a hyperactive nodule and there were lymphcyte infiltrates (white blood cells) characteristic of hasimotos disease (my sister, aunt and grandmother all had goiters). I'm hoping that the other half will be ok now that I'm on this diet, so far it is working in the normal range and I feel so good. I would encourage anyone with any form of gluten intolerance to stick to the diet.

Is there a good way to figure out what other food I may be sensitive too other than trial and error? I can't eat citric acid (oranges and rice cakes with citric acid irritate my stomach and cause rashes), food with blue no. 1 (marshmellows and red drinks) also irritate me
J.P.

Did you have thyroid antibodies, too? Just curious, as it sounds like we have VERY similar symptoms except I never had IBS or Fibromyalgia. I never thought of citric acid--I wonder if I react to that, too. Did you ever get a weird rash on just your arms? I could have sworn mine was DH, but the biopsy was negative. I never knew rice cakes HAD citric acid! :blink:

#489 jstwnttbhealthy

jstwnttbhealthy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

i know it's been since april 2006, but was wondering what ever happend to radman. how is your glutenfree journey going? are you more sensitive now? or do you allow small amounts of gluten in your diet?

Elisabeth

#490 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

i know it's been since april 2006, but was wondering what ever happend to radman. how is your glutenfree journey going? are you more sensitive now? or do you allow small amounts of gluten in your diet?

"He" hasn't been on the forum in 7 years. I doubt he will answer you.

You can click on a person's name/ picture and see when they were last on.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: