This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Too Sensitive?

nettiebeads

nettiebeads Apprentice

In Sunday's StL Post Dispatch the comics section carries a comic strip titled "Rhymes with Orange" by Hilary B. Price. I've never found the comic very funny to begin with, but Sunday's 3/26/06 strip was offensive to me. (My DH found it funny) It was titled "Today's Barnyard Blues" and shows a cat stating "I'm lactose intolerant", a horse saying "I'm gluten intolerant" and a squirrel saying "I'm allergic to nuts". For me and others dealing with dietary issues 24/7 because we HAVE to, I don't see the humor. Or am I over sensitive?

Any feedback?

Annette

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular
In Sunday's StL Post Dispatch the comics section carries a comic strip titled "Rhymes with Orange" by Hilary B. Price. I've never found the comic very funny to begin with, but Sunday's 3/26/06 strip was offensive to me. (My DH found it funny) It was titled "Today's Barnyard Blues" and shows a cat stating "I'm lactose intolerant", a horse saying "I'm gluten intolerant" and a squirrel saying "I'm allergic to nuts". For me and others dealing with dietary issues 24/7 because we HAVE to, I don't see the humor. Or am I over sensitive?

Any feedback?

Annette

Sounds pretty funny to me. Cats LOVE milk, horses LOVE grain, and squirrels LOVE nuts.......lol

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Megan Rookie

right but I ALSO love grain, nuts, and milk....

I see where you could be upset, I probably would have been a little offended especially since I'm new at it and just made my first grocery shopping trip...not fun...asked the baker if he had anything without gluten in it and he said yea sugar free stuff...ok thanks....

but maybe once I've done this for a few years I could find the humor in it...

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Anette

Is there anyway we can see this cartoon. I'm going to try to google it..who knows might come up.

Funny, I don't know but not in the best mood this am so nothing is funny to me. after spending $900.00 on my car repaire before CA trip....car has had to be charged 4 times in less than a week..don't think seeing this cartoon will bring a :) to this face this morning. :angry:

But I'll try .....to smile and also find the cartoon.

Judy in Philly PS my hubby would probably find it funny too! :ph34r:

Rusla Enthusiast

When I googled the site this is what it said.

Find a Specific Strip

So you're looking for a specific strip, but it's not in the recent archives? Here's what you do:

If you JUST saw the strip in the newspaper, you have to wait two weeks for it to appear on the site. I don't want to be in competition with the newspapers that pay me.

The Web site has cartoons dating all the way back to December 1, 1999. There are some missing, but most can be located. What you need is the DATE, MONTH and YEAR of the strip. If you have the old tattered copy, look for the numbers near my signature (that's the date and month), then look for the year on the copyright blurb.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

For what it's worth, I've been told by several vets NOT to give my cat milk as it gives them diarrhea--they really ARE lactose intolerant!

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I thought the cartoon was funny and it also shows just how much gluten intolerence is getting noticed!!

I think I saw a link to it posted on here under another topic - rhymes with orange maybe?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rusla Enthusiast

Humans are the only animals that drink milk after they have grown. I never give milk to my cats or they will have the runs all the time.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

AS I POSTED BEFORE--MAYBE WE SHOULD ALL GO TO OUR VETS FOR MEDICAL HELP. :lol: THEY SEEM TO KNOW MORE ABOUT OUR DISEASE THEN OUR MD'S :lol::lol:

JUDY IN PHILLY

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

I WONDER IF ANY WITH MORE TECQ KNOWLEDGE CAN SCAN IT IN AND POST IT???

jUDY IN PHILLY

paw Apprentice

Open Original Shared Link

rhymeswithorange3263yi.th.gif

This board is not set up to allow pictues in the post. It just turned the image into another link. Either of these should show you the comic.

I don't really think it is all that funny, but I guess some people might. :huh:

Rusla Enthusiast

I think this is a cartoon on irony. The top of it says Barnyard blues. Imagine how depressed a horse would be without grain and how depressed a squirrel would be with out nuts and acorns. I am taking it that Hilary thinks we would feel the same way if we had those problems.

gfp Enthusiast
Sounds pretty funny to me. Cats LOVE milk, horses LOVE grain, and squirrels LOVE nuts.......lol

-Jessica :rolleyes:

and I love pasta and fresh baked bread. But cat's are lactose intollerant after 6 months.

elonwy Enthusiast

Its not laugh out loud funny, but it is worthy of an ironic chuckle. My boyfriend outright snickered. I think I would have laughed more if I didn't know the setup.

Here's my take on it. I am ecstatic that gluten intolerance is something that could make it into a sunday comic.

I think its pretty funny, and I hope it makes alot of people ask "what is gluten?".

When I first got diagnosed it felt like the whole world was out to get me and I was very sensitive to any vaguely negative innuendo. I still get angry sometimes at insensitivity, but I don't think this is insensitive, I think it is pointing out the fact that yeah this sucks, but it could be worse. That's what I see.

Also, to come up with something like that, I have to assume she'd got experience with at least one of those. I mean who puts gluten in a comic?

Elonwy

tarnalberry Community Regular

I think it's hilarious! Yes, it's poking fun at the idea that "people are all saying they're intolerant to something these days", but new things are often ridiculed before they are accepted. I'll take what I can get for now. Twenty years from now... We'll see who's laughin'! ;-)

penguin Community Regular

I thought it was kind of funny, funny enough to pass on to my mom and DH.

If she's poking fun at those of us with those problems, so be it. Until a couple of months ago I thought people that said they were "intolerant" to things, especially gluten, I thought they were hypochondriac nutjobs. To me, the gluten-free thing seemed like another health fad. How's THAT for irony? :blink:

Lucky for me, crow is naturally gluten-free. As is the egg on my face. Not so sure about humble pie, though.

Give it more time, it'll become mainstream...

jerseyangel Proficient
I think it's hilarious! Yes, it's poking fun at the idea that "people are all saying they're intolerant to something these days", but new things are often ridiculed before they are accepted. I'll take what I can get for now. Twenty years from now... We'll see who's laughin'! ;-)

Tiffany yes!! that's just what I and my husband were saying this morning when I read the original post to him.

debmidge Rising Star

I felt sorry for the animals having intolerance to their favorite foods....but it did put the world gluten out there for people to read..and question and the only way a non celiac can get the joke is to find out what gluten intolerance is.....

elye Community Regular

Hear, hear...and maybe those who are curious to find out what gluten is may stumble upon the symptoms of celiac disease, and will suddenly say to themselves, "Hey! That sounds just like me....I'm depressed...and constipated...and ache all over...I'd better find out more about this"... Only good things can come of this cartoon, pragmatically speaking. We need to lighten up and hope that it generates attention and discussion. Whatever it takes to get people learning about this illness...

nettiebeads Apprentice

Thanks for the feed back. Sometimes I am rather negative at times. Sunday I was just exhausted, had been on the road for 6+ hours to go to my step-grandma's funeral the day before and I just didn't take the cartoon right. I should remember that I wished celiac and gluten intolerance was more mainstream, and how much more mainstream can you get than to have a cartoon mention gi? And the week before Parade magazine had some really good paragraphs on celiac. Two weeks in a row the local paper had celiac and gluten intolerance mentioned!

Annette

jerseyangel Proficient

Sorry for your loss, Annette. Hope you get some rest, and feel better soon :)

Archived