This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free/df Breakfast Ideas?

VydorScope

pinkpei77 Contributor

have you tried 8th continent soymilk.. my fiance used to drink a gallon of milk every 2 days and when we went vegan he tried every soy and rice milk under then sun and he says thats his favorite!

i havent had milk in like 15 years so they all taste the same to me because i have nothing to comapre them to since i dont remember what milk tastes like. but most major grocery stores carry 8th continent.

also TOFUTTI "cream cheese" is completly df and gluten-free and you could have that on bagles.

all toffuti products are vegan so try some out!! they are the best !

also.. what about the "glutino" breakfast bars?

they are milk/dairy free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rache Apprentice
Gluten-free waffles are great too (I like the buckwheat berry ones - can't think of the brand, Lifestream maybe)

I just finished a box of the buckwheat berry waffles- by VANS Waffles

yummy!

Mango04 Enthusiast
I just finished a box of the buckwheat berry waffles- by VANS Waffles

yummy!

The Vans waffles are good - but lots of ppl seem to get glutened by those (I personally think the soy flour is to blame - atleast for me anyway)

Trader Joes bananna waffles are awesome too. I stopped buying them a couple years ago when I went gluten-free, assuming they contained gluten. I was sooo excited recently when I found out they didn't! :D

VydorScope Proficient

Yes I tired 8th Content Soy, and no its just as yucky as the others :(

I just picked up some Almond Breeze "Oringinal" it was that or "Vanilla", no unsweented ones. Picked up a dozen egges, and Cadian Bacon by Hormel too. COuld not get toe WIld Oats today cuase of traffic problems, maybe this weekend.

No gluten-free Waffles/bread worht mentioning at the Kroger. They do have Pamula's mixes, but did not see that suggestion till just now and alreayd home! :(

Mango04 Enthusiast

I don't know if this was mentioned already (skimming through the thread - sorry), but when you make it to Wild Oats you might want to try their brand of rice milk. It's not quite as good as the Whole Foods brand but you might like it better than some others.

Felidae Enthusiast
Ick! read the label of that "bread." It may be gluten free but what is in there instead. They use sonething called "Sodium Carboxy Metylcellulose." <--- made from wood fiber? wth is that?

As far as I know that is similar xanthum gum, it helps bind the bread.

Corn Thins are kinda like rice cakes but really thin and really good. I use them to make sandwiches too. I actually like it much better than gluten-free bread. It's much cheaper that way too. They're not meant to be flexible like a tortilla, so I guess I didn't describe them very well, but they are tasty.

Open Original Shared Link

Cool. I can get those up here. I've seen them but I didn't know what they were and wasn't sure about trying them. They sound like a good camping item too.

lpellegr Collaborator

Why limit yourself to traditional breakfast foods? Heck, take a hot dog, a bologna sandwich, a turkey leg. Make a crustless quiche and take a slice in to warm up in the microwave. Have a bowl of spaghetti and meatballs, leftover shepherd's pie, stuffed cabbage. Eat a can of tuna or a bowl of Bush's Baked Beans. Throw in some fruit and it's starting to sound nutritious. Mmmmm.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TCA Contributor

I was dairy and gluten free for a long time. It seemed like I lived off of pb&j. It's filling and cheap. I also love pb and golden eagle syrup. It's a sounthern thing, but they may have it in nashville.

I ate a LOT of omelettes (without cheese). I also learned to tolerate silk soy milk. You might find you can cook with it even if you can't drink it directly. I make a french toast type casserole with gluten-free bread that's getting dry with soy milk. I made rice pudding with almond or soy milk. I also made tapioca pudding by the recipe on the box with soy milk. Those were some good quick things for me. Hummus and corn chips were also a lifesaver in a pinch. I also love to keep fruit salad in the fridge. You can have a cup anytime. I'm a breakfast person, so I would find something to eat and if I couldn't find anything I'd make pb&j. Have you tried The Cravings Place brownies? They are sooo good and gluten, egg, and dairy free. I bought a case off of gluten free mall. Cheaper that way. People can't tell they're gluten free. gluten-free Cinnamon toast with DF margarine was also good. I ate a lot more meat during that time than normal too.

You may have this recipe, but I'd make 4 batches at a time and they're great any time

PB cookies

1 c sugar

1 egg

1 c pb

mix well, roll into balls and mash onto greased pan. Bake 375 10-12 mins. I use 3/4 c splenda and 1/4 c sugar since my hubby's diabetic.

I hope some of these ideas help. I know how hard it is, but hang in there!

VydorScope Proficient

Well I do not have any gluten-free bread, and I dont have enugh ingredints to make some I do think, so any bread based ideas I have to wait till I get to Wild Oats (prbly the weekend).

I picked up some eggs and caidan bacon and almond breeze milk. Forgot mayo though. I am just gonna have to give up on cearel in the morning nothing tastes right with these fake milks. I have ONE enjoy life begal left and I do have peanutbutter and prbly jelly. Hmm. If I hard boil the eggs before bed, should be able to get through tmorrow at least LOL Just have to see from there! :D

I did try kraft itialian dresisng instead of mayo for making egg salad, it was just to strong of a flavor. OH I did finaly find some DF/gluten-free butter (Flechermans or what ever its spelled), but had to drive 30-40 mins to a publix to get it.

jerseyangel Proficient
Well I do not have any gluten-free bread, and I dont have enugh ingredints to make some I do think, so any bread based ideas I have to wait till I get to Wild Oats (prbly the weekend).

I picked up some eggs and caidan bacon and almond breeze milk. Forgot mayo though. I am just gonna have to give up on cearel in the morning nothing tastes right with these fake milks. I have ONE enjoy life begal left and I do have peanutbutter and prbly jelly. Hmm. If I hard boil the eggs before bed, should be able to get through tmorrow at least LOL Just have to see from there! :D

I did try kraft itialian dresisng instead of mayo for making egg salad, it was just to strong of a flavor. OH I did finaly find some DF/gluten-free butter (Flechermans or what ever its spelled), but had to drive 30-40 mins to a publix to get it.

After reading this, I had to stop and think about all of the time we have to spend shopping. (not to mention the money!) Imagine how much time we'd have left over at the end of the week if everything we needed was under one roof :lol: All that driving around, and poor Vincent can't even get a decent egg salad <_<

tarnalberry Community Regular

I definitely encourage making extra muffins any time you get around to making some and sticking them in the freezer. Same thing if you make pancakes or waffles. They'll stay good for quite a while in the freezer, and they'll heat alright in the microwave in a pinch if you have the need.

VydorScope Proficient

Im still holding out hope that when I try milk again I wont react and getting sick last time was CC in somthing!

As for the muffins... round here we dont need to freeze them! :lol:

key Contributor

Vydorscope,

It doesn't sound like you have alot of options. You could try smoothies. I make them with Orange juice, frozen strawberry's, frozen overripe banana's, 1/5th tofu silken or firm and 1tablespoon flaxseed oil (for health). You can add honey or something sweet, but my kids love them.

Also, I eat Kinnikinnick English muffins with Smartbalance on them. It is good and I softboil eggs with them.

Cornflakes are good with soymilk

Fruit and yogurt.

Monica

VydorScope Proficient

Did make a smoothing type thing last night, I think I could replace icecream with sorbets if I need to. Just ahve to replace the icecream maker that I literly wore out form making so much icecream LOL.

I took froze strawberries from Kroger, partly thawed them .. just enough so I could get them out of he container, 1 banana and since I had no joice, I use my son's tang-like-drink, just a little for liquid, like 1/4th cup prlby, duno just splashed it in, and it was very thick LOL could eat with a spoon. But good! I wish I had found more pure strawberries though these had corn syrup and stuff added. Bah. But I was in a rush, once these are gone I'll look a bit more carefully.

eleep Enthusiast

I've been eating Armour turkey sausage links as an alternative breakfast protein to eggs so I can have some variety in my mornings.

I've also been making these amazing buckwheat pancakes with berries in them on the weekends and freezing the rest for the week -- I pop them in the toaster oven on weekdays and they're great. If you can do buckwheat, I use the recipe from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone -- it calls for part all-purpose flour and I substitute a gluten-free flour mix with a great deal of success. It's impossible to make good buckwheat pancakes without using some lighter flour as well.

At some point, I'll get organized enough to start posting my recipes on the forum.

Guest Ang

I've just recently been diagnosed, and my sister-in-law has gone crazy shopping for me in Southern California. I live in a small town in Southern Utah, and we do have a health-foods store, but it's quite expensive.

I recommend you try Larabars (a woman named Lara started the company). I am just finishing one called "Apple Pie." Ingredients: dates, walnuts, unsweetened apples, almonds, raisins, and cinnamon. She bought me about 12-15 different flavors, and she couldn't resist eating the Cashew Cookie one! I've had the Coconut Chocolate one, and it was good, and totally different from what I've been managing with so far.

www.larabar.com

Breakfast is definitely the hardest meal for me so far...lots of eggs and fruit, and I'm still hungry soon after. But it was always my favorite meal, so I'm trying hard to find good replacements.

I had leftover gluten-free chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, topped off with coffee....that was great!

VydorScope Proficient
Breakfast is definitely the hardest meal for me so far...lots of eggs and fruit, and I'm still hungry soon after. But it was always my favorite meal, so I'm trying hard to find good replacements.

If your hungery after eating a meal that could mean one of 2 things...

1) You did not eat enough. (NOTE even when dieting, you should NOT be hungry all the time...)

2) You meal was to focus on sugars (esply sugars with high gylcomic indexes). Sugars add calories, but do NOT turn off the "im hungry" singal from you boddy, eat protien and fats (good ones of course), and you turn of that alarm. :)

I will look up that link, thanks!

Why limit yourself to traditional breakfast foods? Heck, take a hot dog, a bologna sandwich, a turkey leg. Make a crustless quiche and take a slice in to warm up in the microwave. Have a bowl of spaghetti and meatballs, leftover shepherd's pie, stuffed cabbage. Eat a can of tuna or a bowl of Bush's Baked Beans. Throw in some fruit and it's starting to sound nutritious. Mmmmm.

Im not... but I need to be limited to what I cna prepare easily at desk at work with out taking a break. :)

penguin Community Regular

I had leftover gluten-free chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, topped off with coffee....that was great!

I always had that problem before going gluten-free, and the problem is pretty much gone now. It sounds like a hypoglycemic problem to me. Make sure you have a grain and protein with breakfast. Hypoglycemics really need to keep their meals balanced.

num1habsfan Rising Star

how about some apple cinnamon waffles?? If you can find them, they only take a couple minutes to brown (even in a toaster oven)

~lisa~

Archived