18 replies to this topic

#1 erin24

erin24

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:41 AM

I have pork chops but I don't know what to do with them. I ususally do the shake-n-bake thing - yeah I know it's not that great but it's easy. Now I am gluten-free and dairy free I don't know what to do with pork chops. I searched the message board and found one recipe but I need some others. Any help?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 TCA

TCA

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:52 AM

We do chops a lot. One of my favorite ways is to simply salt and grill them. You'd be surprised at how much flavor they have. Another is to use Tone's Canadian Steak seasoning on them and grill, fry, or broil them. The seasoning is both dairy and gluten free. Garlic salt works nice too. If you pan fry them, add some water to the pan after they're done and deglaze it. Add some cornstarch slurry to thicken it and you've got some awesome gravy to go with mashed potatoes. And for those you can use olive oil, garlic salt, italian seasonings, and soy milk, rice milk or chicken broth. I'm getting hungry!
If you're looking for info on how to get started on the gluten-free diet, check out this List for Newly Diagnosed.
Self - Pain free since going gluten-free 9/05 (suffered from unexplained joint pain entire life), asthma improving, allergies improving, mysterious rash disappeared (probably DH)
Husband - Type 1 diabetic, Negative bloodwork
Son - Elevated IgA, Very high IgG, 2 negative biopsies - HLA DQ2 and DQ8 positive, Amazing dietary response since 1/06
Daughter - Congenital Heart Defect (2 surgeries), Reflux, choking issues, eczema, egg allergy - HLA DQ2 positive, Good dietary response (via me because of nursing) since 9/05
"All things happen for good for those who love God..." Romans 8:28

#3 StrongerToday

StrongerToday

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:56 AM

I love our version, very easy. Place a ring of an onion slice on each chop. Throw a dash of salt and pepper on, and a few drops of lemon juice. Put one tbls of brown sugar in each onion ring. Cover the brown sugar w/ ketchup - keeping it all in the onion ring. Bake covered about half the length (depending on how think your chops are) then uncovered for the remaining time.
Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05
Negative Bloodwork ~
Dr. encourages me to trust my
"Gut Reaction"

#4 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:02 AM

my MIL taught me this for pork chops

lay in pan, drizzle olive oil over pork chops, sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and italian seasonings then squirt some lemon juice all over them... bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, flip the chops, season again (omit oil this time) and cook til done (usually 20-25 more minutes) very easy and delish.

#5 TCA

TCA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:06 AM

I just thought of another one we jused to do all the time.

slice a few potatoes thinly on the bottom of a casserole dish. Salt and pepper them. Place thinkly sliced onions on top of that. Lay chops on top, salt and pepper again. Pour a can of Progresso cream of mushroom soup on top ( or other gluten free com soup). Bake for about 45 mins or until done. Really good.
If you're looking for info on how to get started on the gluten-free diet, check out this List for Newly Diagnosed.
Self - Pain free since going gluten-free 9/05 (suffered from unexplained joint pain entire life), asthma improving, allergies improving, mysterious rash disappeared (probably DH)
Husband - Type 1 diabetic, Negative bloodwork
Son - Elevated IgA, Very high IgG, 2 negative biopsies - HLA DQ2 and DQ8 positive, Amazing dietary response since 1/06
Daughter - Congenital Heart Defect (2 surgeries), Reflux, choking issues, eczema, egg allergy - HLA DQ2 positive, Good dietary response (via me because of nursing) since 9/05
"All things happen for good for those who love God..." Romans 8:28

#6 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:01 AM

I just discovered these recipes from the VH site:
http://www.vhsauces....=21&language=en

I e-mailed ConAgra Foods Canada Inc. yesturday, and they said that all of their VH sauces are gluten free except the teriyaki. They also said that they will clearly indicate wheat in their ingredient lists and to always check for changes in their ingredients. Here are some pork chop recipes that I found:
http://www.vhsauces....?products_id=50
http://www.vhsauces....?products_id=65
http://www.vhsauces....products_id=155
http://www.vhsauces....products_id=111
http://www.vhsauces....?products_id=58
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#7 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:30 AM

I'll preface this by saying I hate porkchops, but made this way it was ok.

My mom always crushed cornflakes and seasoned them with garlic salt and lemon pepper and then baked them. Almost as easy as shake n bake and just as good, if not better. Just use gluten-free cornflakes!
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#8 skinnyminny

skinnyminny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:10 AM

Last night we actually had those for dinner, we baked them in the oven with onions and kraft barbeque sauce and they were very delicous

#9 TinkerbellSwt

TinkerbellSwt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 11:04 AM

My MIL taught me this one.. another super easy one.

Put McCormick Broiled Steak Seasoning on both sides of chops, then pan fry in a touch of oil, flip over and fry other side.

thats it. simple and tasty

Tinkerbell
Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05
son born severly premature due to
celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

#10 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 11:12 AM

My hubby LOVES pork chops. Last time I made them, sprinkled them with olive oil, salt and pepper and then made a glaze (just mix) of honey and chipotle pepper. Threw in oven at 350 for 20 or so minutes- spicy sweet and juicy. I even like them!

#11 erin24

erin24

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:44 PM

Man, thanks for all of the responses. I didn't make them tonight b/c I was too lazy but I will give them a try later this week. Some of them sounded really good.

#12 jennyj

jennyj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:12 PM

Our favorite way is to place the chops in a baking dish, pour a large can of frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed over them, place apple slices over them and bake 30-35 minutes.
jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue
Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002
Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

#13 plumbago

plumbago

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:21 PM

my MIL taught me this for pork chops

lay in pan, drizzle olive oil over pork chops, sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and italian seasonings then squirt some lemon juice all over them... bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, flip the chops, season again (omit oil this time) and cook til done (usually 20-25 more minutes) very easy and delish.

THIS WAS REALLY GREAT!

I made it this evening.

#14 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:56 PM

MCcormic seasonall, pan cook until done. Serve with apples (cooked on stovetop with brownsugar and cinnimon and water), and veggie of your choice.

#15 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:54 PM

I know this is an old post but I just now saw it. When I have made them, I did them the way my mom used to before she discovered Shake N'Bake. I didn't like that stuff at all. Anyway... I just put salt and pepper on them and put them in a pan with a little oil. 20 minutes on each side. Serve with applesauce and some kind of starch like potatoes or rice. Everyone seems to like them this way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: