This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pork Chops For Dinner Tonight.

erin24

erin24 Explorer

I have pork chops but I don't know what to do with them. I ususally do the shake-n-bake thing - yeah I know it's not that great but it's easy. Now I am gluten-free and dairy free I don't know what to do with pork chops. I searched the message board and found one recipe but I need some others. Any help?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TCA Contributor

We do chops a lot. One of my favorite ways is to simply salt and grill them. You'd be surprised at how much flavor they have. Another is to use Tone's Canadian Steak seasoning on them and grill, fry, or broil them. The seasoning is both dairy and gluten free. Garlic salt works nice too. If you pan fry them, add some water to the pan after they're done and deglaze it. Add some cornstarch slurry to thicken it and you've got some awesome gravy to go with mashed potatoes. And for those you can use olive oil, garlic salt, italian seasonings, and soy milk, rice milk or chicken broth. I'm getting hungry!

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I love our version, very easy. Place a ring of an onion slice on each chop. Throw a dash of salt and pepper on, and a few drops of lemon juice. Put one tbls of brown sugar in each onion ring. Cover the brown sugar w/ ketchup - keeping it all in the onion ring. Bake covered about half the length (depending on how think your chops are) then uncovered for the remaining time.

Guest nini

my MIL taught me this for pork chops

lay in pan, drizzle olive oil over pork chops, sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and italian seasonings then squirt some lemon juice all over them... bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, flip the chops, season again (omit oil this time) and cook til done (usually 20-25 more minutes) very easy and delish.

TCA Contributor

I just thought of another one we jused to do all the time.

slice a few potatoes thinly on the bottom of a casserole dish. Salt and pepper them. Place thinkly sliced onions on top of that. Lay chops on top, salt and pepper again. Pour a can of Progresso cream of mushroom soup on top ( or other gluten free com soup). Bake for about 45 mins or until done. Really good.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I just discovered these recipes from the VH site:

Open Original Shared Link

I e-mailed ConAgra Foods Canada Inc. yesturday, and they said that all of their VH sauces are gluten free except the teriyaki. They also said that they will clearly indicate wheat in their ingredient lists and to always check for changes in their ingredients. Here are some pork chop recipes that I found:

penguin Community Regular

I'll preface this by saying I hate porkchops, but made this way it was ok.

My mom always crushed cornflakes and seasoned them with garlic salt and lemon pepper and then baked them. Almost as easy as shake n bake and just as good, if not better. Just use gluten-free cornflakes!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

skinnyminny Enthusiast

Last night we actually had those for dinner, we baked them in the oven with onions and kraft barbeque sauce and they were very delicous

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

My MIL taught me this one.. another super easy one.

Put McCormick Broiled Steak Seasoning on both sides of chops, then pan fry in a touch of oil, flip over and fry other side.

thats it. simple and tasty

Tinkerbell

Guest BERNESES

My hubby LOVES pork chops. Last time I made them, sprinkled them with olive oil, salt and pepper and then made a glaze (just mix) of honey and chipotle pepper. Threw in oven at 350 for 20 or so minutes- spicy sweet and juicy. I even like them!

erin24 Explorer

Man, thanks for all of the responses. I didn't make them tonight b/c I was too lazy but I will give them a try later this week. Some of them sounded really good.

jennyj Collaborator

Our favorite way is to place the chops in a baking dish, pour a large can of frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed over them, place apple slices over them and bake 30-35 minutes.

• 5 years later...
plumbago Experienced

my MIL taught me this for pork chops

lay in pan, drizzle olive oil over pork chops, sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and italian seasonings then squirt some lemon juice all over them... bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, flip the chops, season again (omit oil this time) and cook til done (usually 20-25 more minutes) very easy and delish.

THIS WAS REALLY GREAT!

I made it this evening.

shadowicewolf Proficient

MCcormic seasonall, pan cook until done. Serve with apples (cooked on stovetop with brownsugar and cinnimon and water), and veggie of your choice.

Juliebove Rising Star

I know this is an old post but I just now saw it. When I have made them, I did them the way my mom used to before she discovered Shake N'Bake. I didn't like that stuff at all. Anyway... I just put salt and pepper on them and put them in a pan with a little oil. 20 minutes on each side. Serve with applesauce and some kind of starch like potatoes or rice. Everyone seems to like them this way.

lpellegr Collaborator

Put chops in an oven-safe pot or casserole, dump on a can or two of sauerkraut, put lid on, bake at 400 F for 1 hour. Serve with mashed potatoes. Can also do this in the crockpot and use other cuts of pork.

kareng Grand Master

This is an old post but definitely worth revisiting!

I marinate them for about 1 hour in Lea & Perrins worcheshire sauce ( gluten-free in US), minced garlic & black pepper. Grill.

love2travel Mentor

I love to brine chops first - it makes them extremely succulent. My favourite brine includes vanilla beans and juniper berries. Then I like to sear and finish off in the oven and make a pan sauce or mushroom duxelles or finish with a pomegranate, blueberry, red currant or fig glaze. I also make about 30 kinds of rubs (wet and dry). Stuffing double chops with reconstituted apricots in Port or sherry, toasted walnuts, herbs, etc. is lovely as well. I also make a mean roasted applesauce to serve with chops. In the summer we normally grill (after brining) and finish with a reduction, glaze or gastrique (i.e. sour cherry or lemongrass).

Grinding porcini (or other) mushrooms in my spice grinder along with cacao nibs and toasted dried chile peppers makes a wonderful rub as well.

Oh, and don't even get me started on all the marinades I make (probably 50 kinds)...

teacherkd Apprentice

What to do with pork chops:

1. If you have chops that are thin to medium thin [1/2 to 3/4 inches thick] you'll want to get as much of the silverskin off as possible. Silverskin is the layer of fat around the outside of the chop. Leave a very thin layer for flavor and make perpendicular cuts through the remaining fat down to the actual meat, repeating about every 2 inches around the perimeter of the chop. This will reduce the cupping effect that happens when the fat layer shrinks during cooking. This is especially important if you are cooking boneless chops.

2. A simple sear is the easiest way to cook them. Start with a little oil in a skillet and get it to just below the smoke point. Season the chops as desired and lay them about an inch or so apart in the heated oil. Flip them after about 5 minutes. Cook until the juices run just clear when pierced, or to 160 on a cooking thermometer. [N.b.-- the USDA has recently reduced the recommended temp from 160 to 145, but that still seems a little underdone to me]. You can also find numerous recipes online for various methods of glazing the chops at the end. One favorite of mine is a raspberry jam/hoisin sauce combo, and another is to mix a little honey and mustard together, which also works really well with chicken breasts.

3. The best way to get gravy is to braise them-- brown them lightly on both sides, toss a chopped onion over the top, add about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of stock to the pan, bring to a light boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove the meat, add about 2 tbs butter to the braising liquid, and then stir in about 2-3 tbs corn starch [VERY IMPORTANT: premix the corn starch in a little COLD water first] and simmer until thickened as desired, stirring frequently.

4. There are myriad other ways of dealing with chops:

a. slice them thinly and stir fry with an onion and other veggies of your choice [though spring onions are rather de riguer with pork]

b. Slow cook them with tomato sauce and bechamel [approximately equivalent to a can of tomato soup] and an undrained can of mushrooms. Works better with bone-in, thick chops.

c. Carnitas: Slow cook them with a little stock and some taco or fajita seasoning [i make my own instead of chancing the packets you get from the store]. Cook them about 10-11 hours on low. When they're done, pull them apart into chunks and serve on corn tortillas. You can add some chopped chiles to this, too.

d. Tossed in an oven bag with slice apples. Bake according to the chart that comes with the bags.

e. Thick ones can be stuffed and baked [apples, walnuts, and feta?]

f. Grilled-- basically searing on a grill instead of a skillet.

g. Leftover chops can be cubed and used as a base for fried rice.

h. Thin chops are good with eggs for breakfast. I've also used cubed, leftover chops with cubed potato and diced onion as the base for a fritatta.

Archived