20 replies to this topic

#16 Mother of Jibril

Mother of Jibril

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:34 AM

My breastfed son is VERY sensitive to casein, but dairy products from other animals (goats, sheep, etc...) have different proteins. I use a bit of goat cheese when I have pizza... it doesn't bother him!
Gluten free 08/08
Son has IgE allergies to peanuts and corn
Hashimoto's, MCAD, pregnancy loss at 17 weeks
HLA-DQB1*0302 (celiac), HLA-DQB1*0301 (gluten sensitive)
Serological equivalent 3,3 (subtype 8,7)
Extensive family history of autoimmune disorders and related symptoms

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:47 PM

I know this is an old thread, but...

Vegan rice cheese is dairy free. And here are some beef based cheeses that are dairy free:

http://www.allergyfr....com/index.html

#18 AvocadosNRainbows

AvocadosNRainbows

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:43 PM

I'd say the best non-cheese out there is DAIYA cheese. It's so amazingly stretchy, and completely non-dairy. I've also heard decent things about Teese, but I can't get enough of Daiya. I personally don't love the 'Follow Your Heart' or 'Rice' brands.

#19 PlinEE

PlinEE

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

We bought the Follow your heart mozzarella, montery jack and cheddar today from Whole Foods Market. Price was about $3.69 for an 8 oz block. Not too bad considering my family is currently selling 12 oz blocks of cheese from Amish country for a fundraiser for $5-6.

It tastes almost like the real thing without all the problems :P It melts great, too.

We 1st tried it at Pizza Fusion and my son was picking it off because he thought it was real cheese. :lol:

found tofu substitute posted
http://www.hipforums...ead.php?t=60131
I am a big tofu fan now that I recently discovered I have IBS. I will test the tofu on pizza and let y'all know. Thanks for listening.

#20 mszaida

mszaida

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Both my kids were casien intolerant as infants, so I had to stick to a strict casien free diet while nursing. I found that making calzones instead of pizza was easier, that way everyone got what they wanted. I did mine with olive oil, veggies, turkey pepperoni, ham, Italian seasoning.....etc. EVeryone else could have cheese and it wasn't a problem. It was delish! I never found a good alternative, even after 2 years. EVERYTHING had casien. I did use hummus in place of sourcream in a lot of recipes and that worked well. I just had to learn to do without the cheese. I did find some soy ice cream that was good and of course sorbet. Cheese was always a problem, though.

omg that is a great suggestion i will try to make gluten free calzones for my daughter. she was using daiya and it says milk free but she was having tantrums, getting frustrated too easily and being super hyper. i did n't know until tonight that it still has casein and soy which is another no no for her.

#21 Welda Johnson

Welda Johnson

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

I've been gluten-free, milk & dairy free, egg white and yeast free, maltodextrin, msg, casein & whey free since 2000, though the casein dilemma threw me for a loop until I learned that is what was causing some of my problems! There is ONE cheese that I know of that has no casein or whey, and it even melts. That is VEGAN GOURMET mozarella. But, any other cheese made by VEGAN GOURMET is not safe. Good luck with this journey!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: