This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help!

jaimi alderson

jaimi alderson Enthusiast

I have just been diagnosed with celiac disease & have a 4 yo & a 1yo and no time to research what I can eat! I have read that I can't have preservatives, caramel coloring, mono & diglycerides & vinegar. Is this true? Those are in everything I eat. I would have to cut out ketchup, margarine, salad dressing & coke. Or can I have just a little of those things? And seriously no margarine? Can anyone help me?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular

Welcome to the board! You'll find lots of great info and greater people on here! :D

Unless there are other reasons other than gluten to avoid those foods, most of the ones you listed are ok, but you have to check.

Distilled vinegar (but not malt vinegar) is safe. Heinz is a good brand.

Heinz ketchup is gluten-free, most margarine is ok, some salad dressings are ok, (kraft ranch is safe), coke is (blissfully) gluten-free

Some companies will always list gluten containing ingredients (wheat, barley, rye, oats): Kraft, Unilever, general mills...

Someone named Nini has a newbie survival kit that I'm sure she'll send to you if you ask her real nice. It includes lots of lists of safe foods.

Basically, unless you KNOW it's gluten-free (like plain meat, veggies, fruits) you're going to have to check the label. When in doubt, don't eat it or at least call the company before you do. It's a pain, but worth it!

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Hi Jaimi and welcome to the board!

Okay, first thing to do is slow down and take a long, deep breath. In deep, out slowly...... there..... that's better! ;)

There is no need to panic. There are soooo many things that you can still have it will amaze you. Firstly, you will come to LOVE Kraft. Kraft is one of the companies us celiacs love as they will clearly indicate if ANY of their products contain any gluten (i.e. if in their ingredients it just says modified food starch, we know it is safe even though it doesn't specify the origin of the starch, because KRAFT would put "modified wheat starch" if it was derived from wheat).......

Also, here's some great news. There is a list you can download that is absolutely essential for us celiacs. It is the delphi list that lists safe foods for us and it is updated regularly and also comes in really convenient categories which makes it much easier for us to shop instead of standing in the middle of the aisle reading lists upon lists of ingredients! (particularly an asset for me with four kids!) :P

Go to

Open Original Shared Link

then click on the left hand side where it says "Health & Wellness"

(you will need to register for this site but it is free and SOOOO worth it!)

Then the first (or sometimes second) forum that comes up is the "Celiac Disease On-Line Support Group" click on that.

Then scroll down where you get to "Gluten Free Products List" and click on that. The list will come up in convenient categories. Skim through the list, it should ease your worries some.

Also, there are a bunch of really great, helpful supportive people here who are always willing to answer any questions you have. And remember, no question is too stupid to ask. We all have been at the beginning of the celiac road and know where you are at right now. The only stupid question is the one NOT asked.....

Welcome and hope to see you posting!

Karen

Oops, forgot to mention: The best thing for you to do now is when the kids get to sleep, come on here and read, read and read some more. You can learn sooo much here, it really is a life saver (and saves your sanity too!)

Hugs.

Karen

Thank you so very very much for your help! What you guys had to say helped me soooooo much I am going to go read some of those things right now. I would have starved in the next few days without your help!

thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Anytime! ;)B)

Again, welcome! We're here if you need us......

Hugs.

Karen

Hi everyone/anyone!! These are my questions for now...so if Kraft says their labels will state if wheat is used is that really true? Truly their modified food starch is ok unless it says wheat was used specifically? Also, I have seen several soy sauces that were listed as gluten-free could this be possible? Does there really exist soy sauce or teriyaki sauce we can eat?

thanks a million for any advice!

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Jaimi--glad you found us! Yes, when it's a Kraft product, you just have to read the label--any gluten ingredients will be clearly listed. I know there are gluten-free soy sauces--I haven't tried any, because I am sensitive to soy, but others here will know the brands. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived