This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thank You!

schuyler

schuyler Apprentice

Hey y'all. I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Danielle and I live in CA. I was diagnosed with Celiac in Jan of this year. I am also sensitive to dairy and I'm a vegetarian. I'm having a hard time with everything. Lately I've been really paranoid about food (after being sick for 6-7 years, it's hard). I'm just afraid of most foods because I don't want to get sick. My parents are really trying, but they just don't understand why I won't eat most things (I stilllive at home-I'm only 20yrs old). I will only eat things that I have confirmed as gluten-free and for prepared foods, either I have to make it or I have to see it being made. On Friday, I had my first accidental glutenating since going gluten-free. I don't know how it happened, but now I feel horrible. This has just made me even more paranoid.

I really want to thank everyone on here. I've been reading posts on here since I was diagnosed, and they have all really helped me in coping with this. Reading everything on here has really helped me know that I'm not alone and/or crazy (as I have had many docs tell me). Thanks for everything!

Danielle

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Hi Danielle!

I am so glad you decided to come out of the "lurkers" closet and join the ranks!

I hope your gluten effects don't last too long....... Boy, it sucks bigtime when it happens!

Glad you found us and have found some comfort here, as many of us have......

Welcome!

Karen

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Welcome! This site is so helpful. The gluten-free diet can be hard at first, but the diet will get easier with time. I am gluten and casein free so if you need any recipes or meal ideas just let me know!

I'm sorry that you are feeling sick from gluten. Do you have any ideas on the source of gluten? Most of my accidents have been from cross contamination in my home and from eating out. If you live with others who eat gluten, then contamination risks are quite high. Make sure that you clean all surfaces really well before preparing food and check all plates, utensils, pots, pans, ect for crumbs or residue and clean them again if necessary. Also, make sure that you have your own condiments, toaster, deep fryer, ect. I personally do not eat out anymore. This was a personal decision and the advice of my doctor. I can get moderate to severe (but not life threatening) reactions from very small amounts of gluten.

Rusla Enthusiast

Welcome to the board Danielle. You will find not just great information and support here but great recipes.

My cross contamination issues are from eating out, like today and my stomach still hurts and I am bloated up like the Goodyear Blimp. I cleaned my whole house, disenfected it and got all new pots and pans ( mine were more than 20 years old and scratched), when I found out I had to be totally gluten-free. Although there has been some lotion or makeup issues but I think I have tossed those out.

It is so much harder and my heart goes out to those who have to try to be gluten-free in a house that still has gluten in it and for those who have no symptoms.

plantime Contributor

Glad we could help. If you have any questions or just need to talk, we are here and will listen!

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Danielle--I hope by the time you read this, you are beginning to feel better! That feeling is the awful--we've all been there, so we understand what you are saying. It's frusterating when family dosen't seem to get it. Now that they've seen how sick you can get over an accidential exposure to gluten, hopefully it will "hit home" with them. Glad you found us--keep reading here and don't hesitate to ask questions :)

mommida Enthusiast

I totally understand being paranoid about eating. If I have a major event coming up I dread every meal closer to the event. The last thing I need is a gluten reaction. But you have to eat to stay healthy and have energy to enjoy what you are doing. Take the time to keep a food journal, to help track down gluten mishaps or other food sensitivities. The better you understand your diet, the less fear you will have about eating.

Laura

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

schuyler Apprentice

The food journal is a grwat idea. I'll start one today.

I'm starting to feel better, and I think I have discovered the source of my exposure. The dentist. I forgot to have them check to make sure that everything they were using was gluten-free. I just never realized how many things gluten could be hidden in! It's so sneaky! After seeing me in pain for the last few days, my parents are beginning to realize how serious this is. Today, both of my parents are going with me to my follow up appointment so that they can get some info straight from the doc.

Danielle

jerseyangel Proficient

Danielle--That's great to hear! Good luck at your appt :)

schuyler Apprentice

My appt went pretty well yesterday. The doc said that I am improving at an expected rate. He also said that he thinks that I might be able to start eating dairy again sometime soon. He said that once the lower part of my intestines are completely healed, he thinks I'll be able to digest dairy. I'm so excited!

Danielle

Archived