This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Menstrual Irregularities

Guest Babbia

Guest Babbia

Just something you all might find interesting...... Since first getting my period at age 12 (am now 30), I have never had normal periods. I would literally get ONE period per year, unless I was on the pill. Doctors said I had PCOS. Well....over the last while (not on pill) I have had FOUR periods in 8 months. The only thing that I have changed was going gluten-free. I have always been a "healthy" eater, so problem was not that....it was the damn gluten all along! I have yet to relay this to my doctor and am wondering what he'll have to say about it.

Babbia

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

corinne Apprentice

Gluten free changed mine too. My periods were the opposite of yours - very heavy and long (average 12-15 days). Since going gluten-free 3 months ago, they're now pretty normal, about 5 days. Woohooo.

Megan Rookie

WOW!! I've always had problems so hopefully this can change for me to!! (too bad I'm on the Gluten challenge!! NO FUN!!!)

Ann1231 Enthusiast

mine are much lighter and shorter since gluten free. thank goodness. I had times when I was anemic they were so bad!

plantime Contributor

Mine were quite regular, 5 days every 28 days, but very bad with cramps. Since going gluten-free, the cramps have let up significantly.

italiana1981 Newbie

I got my period when I was 10 years old-and ever since then have gone several years without getting my period!

No doctors could ever find a reason why. They would put me on BC pills, which gave me nasty mood swings.

I just go my enterolab test last week, and have not had gluten since.

Currently, I have not gotten my period in about five months and have quite a bit of hair loss.

I am 24!

How long has it taken people for their periods to regulate? Did you take any supplements or see any doctors that helped? Or should I just try a gluten free diet?

ehrin Explorer

Just something you all might find interesting...... Since first getting my period at age 12 (am now 30), I have never had normal periods. I would literally get ONE period per year, unless I was on the pill. Doctors said I had PCOS. Well....over the last while (not on pill) I have had FOUR periods in 8 months. The only thing that I have changed was going gluten-free. I have always been a "healthy" eater, so problem was not that....it was the damn gluten all along! I have yet to relay this to my doctor and am wondering what he'll have to say about it.

Babbia

I find this very interesting. I have never had normal periods and they attributed it to my having PCOS as well. I've never found their diagnosis to be firm...meaning I just don't buy it. Yes, my testosterone levels are a bit high but I've had a hard time believing that I have PCOS. I don't have any of the other typical symptoms. And generally people with T2 diabetes have this, not T1, which is what I have. However, I can't go off the pill to find out if being gluten-free has helped regulate my periods. I am sexually active and I do not want kids yet and my BF certainly doesn't want kids yet so....I'd love to hear if others have found a similar experience as you, Babbia! Quite interesting!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

italiana1981 Newbie

I find this very interesting. I have never had normal periods and they attributed it to my having PCOS as well. I've never found their diagnosis to be firm...meaning I just don't buy it. Yes, my testosterone levels are a bit high but I've had a hard time believing that I have PCOS. I don't have any of the other typical symptoms. And generally people with T2 diabetes have this, not T1, which is what I have. However, I can't go off the pill to find out if being gluten-free has helped regulate my periods. I am sexually active and I do not want kids yet and my BF certainly doesn't want kids yet so....I'd love to hear if others have found a similar experience as you, Babbia! Quite interesting!!!

I was also diagnosed with PCOS b/c of my menstrual irregularities.

francelajoie Explorer

Oh my god!!

That's it!!!

I also had really really long periods (12 to 14 days), major cramping, and very heavy bleeding.

Now, they last 5-7 days, barely any pain, and its not heavy at all.

It's sooooooo much better now.

mookie03 Contributor

Along these lines, has anyone ever had to take provera to induce period? (gluten-free 9 mos and havent gotten period yet). If you have, please pm me, i have questions :D

Mahee34 Enthusiast

mine have been lighter and shorter too since i've been diagnosed.....by shorter i mean like 2 days long.....although i still sometimes have cramping, depending on how badly i give into my chocolate and soda craving habits.....this month i've been good. some months are horrible!! but darn it, sometimes you just need some chocolate.

penguin Community Regular

My period was 10 days late last month, my first month gluten-free and I was coincidentally off the pill that month. Freaked me out. Before that, I started just spotting for my period and the dr blamed it on the pills (which I've been taking for 7 years) but I think the pill was the only thing making me have it to begin with.

I was also a late starter, two days before my 14th birthday.

corinne Apprentice

I didn't realize that 14 was a late start. I started at 15 and my mom at 16.

penguin Community Regular
I didn't realize that 14 was a late start. I started at 15 and my mom at 16.

I was on the late end of normal, but it also depends on the calendar year you got your first period. Over the last 50 years, the average age of menarche has gotten younger and younger. The average age is now 12, as opposed to 16 a hundred years ago...

jerseyangel Proficient

Yes, my niece was only 9 when she started.

PreOptMegs Explorer

I just started on BC last week because it had been 2 years since my last period. First, I lost a lot of weight, then the gluten thing, then I continued to have thyroid problems, so finally I should be set up to have one in about 17 days. I hate the bc pills though... tons of bloating/ weight issues and it makes me totally nautious. It sucks because i just got synthroid increased, so I should be losing weight...

Ashley Enthusiast

Mine's the opposite of everybody---mine are getting worse and worse. Ever since Celiac, my periods are much heavier and the pain is getting were I can't tolrate it very well at all. Until like the last two days (6-7), they're HEAVY. Except for those last two days, I'm miserable most of the time. If it's really bad, it's 8-9 days.

Ashley Enthusiast

'Pose I'm gonna have to bump this up to get a reply. If it's better for anyone, just PM me instead.

jerseyangel Proficient

Rinku--It interesting how your symptoms mirror mine when I was younger. You previously said that you feel dizzy a lot (like you could faint). I had this for years, along with progressively heavier and painful periods. This began in my teens, and went on (except for short periods after the birth of 2 children) until 2 years ago. I just lived with it, which , looking back was unnecessary. There are several things that can cause the heavy blood loss--but that, very possibly, is what is at the root of your dizziness--because it can lead to anemia. Have you seen a gynocologist? I would strongly suggest you do, and tell him/her about all of your symptoms--including the dizziness. These things can be dealt with--don't make the mistake that I did--I thought it was "just me"--and that I just had to live with it. Not true--Feel free to PM me anytime, and good luck with it :)

carriecraig Enthusiast

WOW! That is so interesting. I had spotting between periods for almost 3 years straight, and just thought it was my pill and I tried a million of them. Of course I was told I would have spotting when I switched pills - what a vicious cycle.

Now, I am on Yasmin, with lighter periods, no spotting, and they are light.

wolfie Enthusiast

This is a really interesting thread. Since going gluten-free 3 months ago, my periods have definitely changed. First they were more frequent (every 20-21 days). Gyn ran a bunch of tests, nothing wrong, really. Now this month I am a week late (on day 35 now!!). WTH? I am fine with lighter periods b/c mine were ridiculous. I really think going gluten-free does change things. Oh and I am not pregnant, my tubes are tied (or if I am, DH is going to flip! LOL).

mick66 Newbie
Mine's the opposite of everybody---mine are getting worse and worse. Ever since Celiac, my periods are much heavier and the pain is getting were I can't tolrate it very well at all. Until like the last two days (6-7), they're HEAVY. Except for those last two days, I'm miserable most of the time. If it's really bad, it's 8-9 days.

Rinku, Mine are exactly like yours, why are we the only ones, is there really something that could be wrong? I have to go see gyno this summer for a pap, but I'm not sure I should wait that long.

This past fall I was in the hospital for something unrelated to this, and they did tests one of them an ultrasound and it showed fibroids, could this be what's causing the heavy periods and painful cramps?

Or is it the gluten free diet? They told me in the hospital that the fibroids should just shrink by themselves. When I have my period, coincidently now!, I feel like shrinking right into bed its so bad!!!!!!

Thanks for that post, I thought I was the only one, Mick

aorona Rookie

My cycles were 28 days, but my periods were long (12-17 days!!!). Since being on the gluten free diet for 9 months now, my period have gotten lighter and shorter (5-10 days.) I have also been taking Vitamin K, which I think has helped alot. The Vitamin K should not be taken with a multi-vitamin or Vitamin E, since these can block the effects of Vitamin K. Good Luck.

Guest MyKidsMom

Wow! I could have written that first post...started the same time, am currently the same age and was also diagnosed with PCOS but didn't respond to infertility with conventional PCOS treatments. Before pregnancies I had about 2 periods a year, now I am almost regular. My problem is now I bleed in between and sometimes don't even stop. I think it was causing me to be anemic. I started taking iron and it seems better. One other possible cause for intermittent bleeding is that I now have an IUD.

Archived