This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

3 Weeks G/f And Caved In Today

happy4dolphins

happy4dolphins Enthusiast

(with my head hanging low), I say Hello,

Well, I've gone three weeks gluten-free and today I caved! I had my sons left over chocolate brownie mud pie icecream and a few left over m &ms with the loft over chocolate frosting on the cake and sseveral mouthfulls of left over brownies.

Now, what hurts a ton tonight is my pelivs, spine and hip joints (I think I have spondylitis). Stomach is a little oozy, but that's about it. Wonder if the gluten set it off for the spondylitis. I haven't hurt this bad in a very long time.

Nicole

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mart Contributor

Say it isn't so! Now you have to start all over again. Remember, this isn't a diet like others where you can cheat occasionally. Hopefully you'll feel better in a few days, but it'll take at least 6 months to a year to fix any damage those brownies did. BTW, The Gluten Free Pantry makes a chocolate truffle brownie to die for. Honestly, my friends have no clue that it is gluten-free. Sorry you're in pain tonight.

flagbabyds Collaborator

NONONONONO. Now you at least know what it feels like to be glutened, and will probably never want to have that feeling again. So just think of the way you are feeling now, and then maybe that will be a way to get you to not want to have gluten ever again.

SO now you have to start all over again.

Just take it one day at a time, and just don't eat gluten tomorrow, or the next day or the next, and then you will start feeling better, and then maybe you will be better, and not crave to have gluten ever again.

Megan Rookie
Say it isn't so! Now you have to start all over again. Remember, this isn't a diet like others where you can cheat occasionally. Hopefully you'll feel better in a few days, but it'll take at least 6 months to a year to fix any damage those brownies did. BTW, The Gluten Free Pantry makes a chocolate truffle brownie to die for. Honestly, my friends have no clue that it is gluten-free. Sorry you're in pain tonight.

The Gluten Free Pantry!?!? tell me more!

flagbabyds Collaborator

The gluten free pantry is a very good gluten free place that makes gluten-free mixes and such. They sell a lot of their mixes at whole foods market. You should really try it out, the brownies w/ the chocolate chunks in them are really to die for. I make them for soccer snack(when I get back to playing) and everyone on the team eats them because they are really quite good.

heli Newbie
The gluten free pantry is a very good gluten free place that makes gluten-free mixes and such. They sell a lot of their mixes at whole foods market. You should really try it out, the brownies w/ the chocolate chunks in them are really to die for. I make them for soccer snack(when I get back to playing) and everyone on the team eats them because they are really quite good.

Also try Namaste mixes. YUM! Next time you see that left over chocolate cake break it down into what it really is: POISON. It is not for you. And always have something you can snack on. Nuts, fruit, Think Organic bars ( ( always have some in my purse so that I don't cave & I don't get a headache from going hungry.)

Ursa Major Collaborator

Nicole, it can be hard at the beginning. What is done is done, no point in berating yourself for a weak moment (okay a few week moments). Just start over, and make sure you have some nice treats around for yourself for next time you get tempted.

M&Ms are fine, usually ice cream is fine, a lot of chocolate is, and do bake yourself some nice treats next time you serve something you can't have. Then you can have something yummy without the guilt and pain.

And you might as well bake the next birthday cake gluten free (if you do it right, nobody will notice), and you can just have it too! :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

One instance of eating gluten does not necessarily cause damage that takes 6 months to a year to fix. If you have research that shows otherwise please tell me where I can read it.

richard

plantime Contributor

Well, if you even had a shadow of a doubt, I guess you don't now! Just pick up from here, and stick to the diet!

I would also like to read the research that says it takes 6 months to a year to heal damage from a glutening.

Ursa Major Collaborator

I just read (I believe in Dr. Green's book) that they tested how long the effects are visible from a glutening, and I believe it said three weeks. Still, it isn't a good idea, of course. And as for the elevated cancer risk for celiacs, it takes five years on a strict gluten free diet for our risk to be average (as in non-celiacs). So, you never want to do it on purpose.

jerseyangel Proficient

Yep--I agree with Ursula. Just get back on the gluten-free track and feel better :)

flagbabyds Collaborator

Sorry, I didn't want to berate you or anything, i was just trying to say that you shouldn't do it again.

sorry if i offended you or anything, I didn't mean to in any way.

Rusla Enthusiast

I suffer so extensivly from a few grains of being glutened by accident. There is no way I would ever deliberately eat something. Yesterday for the first time in my life I was craving KFC, I thought of the day before when I was accidently glutened and almost got sick thinking about it, no way I would cheat. The reprocussions are too great.

num1habsfan Rising Star

I know its very tough staying gluten-free. My first probably half a year of being on the diet I ended up glutening myself, mostly because I didnt know just what I had to avoid. I think its probably why I am so much more sensative to it now, that even a crumb or 2 coming in contact with gluten-free food makes me sick!!

Stick to it. It takes time, and I know I still break down and cry over it once in a while, but you'd be amazed how many things you can find that are exactly the same as regular food that everyone eats, except gluten-free of course!

Hope you're feeling better.

~lisa~

happy4dolphins Enthusiast

HI, Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm not offended at all........rather feel well supported. I know it's a no no and I still have a few break downs every now and then too. Must be natural and normal. I do feel so much better, that for sure.

Thanks so much for getting after me, suppose I needed to hear it again.

Nicole

mart Contributor
One instance of eating gluten does not necessarily cause damage that takes 6 months to a year to fix. If you have research that shows otherwise please tell me where I can read it.

richard

Sorry, I don't have any research. Just quoting my son's gastroenterologist.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator
HI, Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm not offended at all........rather feel well supported. I know it's a no no and I still have a few break downs every now and then too. Must be natural and normal. I do feel so much better, that for sure.

Thanks so much for getting after me, suppose I needed to hear it again.

Nicole

I don't agree that it is natural and normal -- more like trial and error.

At some point, you will make the decision to live life as healthy as possible and not even think about eating that poison.

Its always tougher when you're a kid, but if your an adult, you know what to do and what not to do.

Gluten Free for Life Baby -- There is no other option!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Rusla, the KFC 'gremlins' must have been roaming this week becasue that's what i craved a meal all week. :rolleyes: All is takes is me 'remembering my last gulten from the first time i made gluten-free lasgana but it was the cheese (i knew it was risky> I haven't been tested to show ANYOTHER) allergins, but know i need to keep milk and soy esp out of my diet jsut cause i feel so much better when i do....that being said...went to Martindales again today after drs apt and stocked up on some gluten-free milk & soy free 'goodies' for me.

AGREE make the cake gluten-free next time and you won't have to worry.

judy in philly.

Archived