81 replies to this topic

#1 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:38 AM

Anyone else have rosacea? If so--have you identified any triggers, causes, good treatments etc? Just got diagnosed with it yesterday...
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:45 AM

Hi Jen--I was diagnosed with it in 2000. I tried metrogel, but honestly didn't see much of a difference. I eased up on my skin care--stopped using Proactiv because of the little cleansing grains. I now use a facial cleanser by MyChelle that I get at Whole Foods. They use very good, soothing natural ingregients--and I called them and they do not use gluten in anything. Heat is a trigger for me--
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 jenvan

jenvan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:39 AM

Heat like in a hot shower or heat like in summer? My doc gave me a prescip for metrogel...I think I used it once years ago. We'll see I guess. Has yours ever gotten significantly worse or does it stay about the same? I'm worried its going to get bad...stupid to worry I know...but I'm like, at least if I'm not feeling great I can look great!! Thanks Patti :)
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:17 AM

Heat like in a hot shower or heat like in summer? My doc gave me a prescip for metrogel...I think I used it once years ago. We'll see I guess. Has yours ever gotten significantly worse or does it stay about the same? I'm worried its going to get bad...stupid to worry I know...but I'm like, at least if I'm not feeling great I can look great!! Thanks Patti :)

Frankly, mine was worse before I improved my diet--I believe that in my case, cutting dairy foods made a difference. It was worse before--the diet and the mild cleansing (avoid sodium laurel sulfate and other harsh things) have definately made a difference. It's not bad at all now--greatly improved. Since you already practice these things, perhaps the metrogel will make a difference for you. (and thinking about it, maybe would now for me, too) I remember that it said it will not cause immediate results, so give that some time. I meant heat as in summer--a hot shower dosen't have any effect on mine. I have to be very careful of the sun. I would suggest always using sunscreen on your face. California Baby has a nice, light one for sensitive skin--they sent me a sample in my last order! Don't worry--I'm sure you will be able to get it under control :)
Patti

#5 jenvan

jenvan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:23 AM

well i already had cut out the sodium laurel sulfates and such, so that's good. thanks Patti!!
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

#6 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:39 AM

I was diagnosed with Rosacea about 4 years ago (also have psoriasis), had it off and on for 2 years and now it has gone away. I got REALLY strict with my diet (eggs seem to be a trigger for me) and stopped using sunscreen with zinc oxide (also seems to have triggered it) and I haven't had it reappear. Heat - hot showers and too much sun triggered it too. Oh, and the only thing I use on my face is organic coconut oil - sounds greasy, but it's not if you don't use too much. Coppertone sunscreen didn't seem to bother my skin, but I do a layer of coconut oil first.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#7 jenvan

jenvan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:50 AM

lonewolf--
thanks... i also have psoriasis...ever notice any overlap? eggs and hot showers... my dh says my showers are too hot...will have to explore and see :)
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

#8 lonewolf

lonewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:01 PM

lonewolf--
thanks... i also have psoriasis...ever notice any overlap? eggs and hot showers... my dh says my showers are too hot...will have to explore and see :)

I'll be curious to see if you discover a connection with eggs and rosacea. I've been cheating a little bit lately with them and my psoriasis has flared up big time. It was almost gone - with the help of Dovonex and now my arms are covered again and inside my ears. Until you reminded me of the rosacea I had forgotten about it - I hope it doesn't flare up too. It seems like when I had the rosacea my psoriasis was really bad. I have it everywhere you can imagine and a few places you probably can't :huh: . If I had the willpower, I'd go back to fish, rice, fruit and vegies - the only diet that cleared my skin up 100%.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#9 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:43 PM

I've had rosacea for about 42 years now!!!!!!I have it on my upper torso not just the face.I had acne as a teenager and also as an adult.I have the spider veins and alot of scarring of the cheeks, large pores on nose. I would get so red that people asked if they could call an ambulance for me as they thought I was having a heart attack--- then some thought I was an alcoholic because I stayed red all the time......I would actually get burned from the redness. There are some good things out there that helps but everyone responses differently to the products. I know one thing that alot of us wash our face with is or was since it is discontinued by mfg now . It is aveeno creamy baby cleanser. I have about twelve bottles of it if you want to buy some from me .....one thing is do not use soap and scrub your face... I have tried several prescribed meds but none worked for me....I started to use the reg. strength Cutanix with great results. Some wash the face with the dove wash cloths. There is a real good support group for rosacea. I haven't been on it for several years as I finally got mine under control most of the time. Once I started taking thyroid med, and went gluten-free I've been the best I've ever been.Once in awhile I get one pimple and a bit red but nothing like I used to..I can't remember the name of the stuff that also helped me alot (brain fog now) but it was expensive and it came in two round circles one beige and the other tan in color and it got me on a recovery mode. Man I wish I could think og the name of it. I still have them but the name isn't on them.
Other things are staying out of the sun and wear sunscreen all the time.Also wear sunglasses because rosacea also effected my eyes.
My dad had psorasis and rosacea(not formally dx'd) and I now believe he had celiac's when I think back on his medical history.Parkinson's too, bowel problems!!!!! It seems like we all are in a pattern of sorts...

I know you watch what you eat but stay away from fried foods.At first it seems everything you put in your mouth triggers rosacea. Probiotics are good .......
I also flared up when I get excited or when I'm talking face to face to a person I turn beet red after a short time so try to stay calm, alot of rest.
My daughter has a beautiful complexion but has just the rosy cheeks of rosacea for about 20 years now she is getting the spider veins on her cheeks. She used to be a model in N>Y> in her younger days before the real world of a husband and kids!!!!!
Rosacea gets alot of people depressed including me as I hated my face. I only have one picture where my face is not beet red.When I look back on the pics I can see that people ask if I was having a heart attack ....
I know when my Dad passed away I got so upset and my face was so hot and red for months after.

Sorry I was a bearer of bad news on this issue. celiac's can make me sick but rosacea took away my self-asteem.........I detest them both...

mamaw

#10 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:43 PM

I have mild rosacea--had rosy cheeks all my life, and have just started to notice tiny veins in my cheeks. Hot showers also give me a temporary rash on my chest.

I've never tried anything for it, and never thought of the dietary connection. Probiotics sound like a good idea--I'll try that. I hate to hear that eggs might be a trigger-I eat one every day for breakfast. :huh:

Mamaw. does the Aveeno have oatmeal in the ingredients list? Would that trigger reaction in a celiac with DH history?

#11 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 04:45 AM

Jen, how did I miss this..so sorry..
how are your sinuses?? are you feeling any better with that?
Judy in Philly
Judy in Southern CA

#12 jenvan

jenvan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:11 AM

Liz-
You know what made me curious?? My doc mentioned and I read also, that steriods (as in treatment for psoriasis) can cause rosacea. Interesting...I wonder if my meds may have helped trigger this rosacea...

Mamaw-
I understand.... I told my mom, well if I feel crappy on the outside at least I can not look crappy too! :) These 'mysterious' types of illnesses/syndromes drive me crazy--no one knows exactly what causes them, how to treat or get rid of them really...I get tired of "trial and error!" Maybe I will try one of the online rosacea groups. Spider veins--I have one on my face...no one really notices with makeup, but ah...get them bad on my legs. I'm like, uh, can I at least be out of my 20s before I start getting these?? I hope you can find some things to help relieve your rosacea signs, and help lift your esteem--I know that can be hard to do...

Judy--
Feeling better, but still stuffy etc. Not on antibiotics... Did I tell you I have an appt with a new allergist to get tested and start all over again on April 17th? I am really eager to see what we find.
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

#13 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:16 AM

Jen--I had never heard that steroids had anything to do with rosacea. I took steriods many times--oral as well as injected. Interesting....
Patti

#14 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:06 PM

I'm so glad your feeling better but still stuff??? :blink: shucks..well maybe your imume system is starting to kick in so you don't need the antibiotics..wouldn't that be nice...
glad your seeing a new allergist on the 17th..i'll be keeping my fingers and toes crossed for ya.
maybe you'll get a new one with answers who sees you as a 'whole person' like my last one did. :)
Judy--
Feeling better, but still stuffy etc. Not on antibiotics... Did I tell you I have an appt with a new allergist to get tested and start all over again on April 17th? I am really eager to see what we find.
[/quote]
Judy in Southern CA

#15 lonewolf

lonewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:13 PM

Liz-
You know what made me curious?? My doc mentioned and I read also, that steriods (as in treatment for psoriasis) can cause rosacea. Interesting...I wonder if my meds may have helped trigger this rosacea...

Interesting. I knew that there was a reason I avoid ALL medication now. I haven't used any steroids for quite a while for my psoriasis - maybe that's why the rosacea went away. And I've used a LOT of probiotics. My psoriasis is still worse though - I'm sticking to fruits, vegies and lean meat today until I clear my body of any trace of eggs or anything else. I wish I had the willpower to do a 3 day fast - that usually helps too. (Although it's hard to fast while you're on jury duty).
Liz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: