This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Those Of You That Can't Eat Rice

BamBam

BamBam Community Regular

My problem is every now and then I have a really bad stomach ache. Some of you say you cannot eat rice, and I was wondering if you can tell me how you felt when you ate the rice. I hate to think I can't have rice either. I don't eat any dairy and I also do not eat any soy, except for preservatives like soy lecithen and, of course, no gluten. The pain is in my stomach and many times abdominal. I take reglan for stomach discomfort, maybe I need to take more of that. I stopped my food journal, I should probably start that again and see what is going on.

BAM

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi--After much trial and error, I have found that I need to avoid rice. The worst offenders for me are rice flour and rice milk. I'm thinking that's because those are so concentrated.(?) The symptoms I get are abdominal pain (which I did not get before my dx), cramping, low backache, and mild D. These last for a few days, and did not begin until I was gluten-free for a few months. Rice and corn were really the only grains I ate while on the gluten-free diet, so I don't know if any others would have been a problem--but I'm not interested in trying them. I'm doing fine without grains. I also avoid tapioca starch and corn starch. To thicken, I use potato starch. I'm going to start experimenting wih almond flour, possibly combined with a bit of potato starch. As an aside, my Kinesiloligist told me that a true Celiac should not eat rice (or buckwheat)--I tried anyway, but I ended up proving him right (again!) :) The food journal is a good idea--

Guest BERNESES
Hi--After much trial and error, I have found that I need to avoid rice. The worst offenders for me are rice flour and rice milk. I'm thinking that's because those are so concentrated.(?) The symptoms I get are abdominal pain (which I did not get before my dx), cramping, low backache, and mild D. These last for a few days, and did not begin until I was gluten-free for a few months. Rice and corn were really the only grains I ate while on the gluten-free diet, so I don't know if any others would have been a problem--but I'm not interested in trying them. I'm doing fine without grains. I also avoid tapioca starch and corn starch. To thicken, I use potato starch. I'm going to start experimenting wih almond flour, possibly combined with a bit of potato starch. As an aside, my Kinesiloligist told me that a true Celiac should not eat rice (or buckwheat)--I tried anyway, but I ended up proving him right (again!) :) The food journal is a good idea--

Whoa! did your kinesiologist say why a true Celiac should not eat rice? Oh, I'm getting sadder. :(

penguin Community Regular
Whoa! did your kinesiologist say why a true Celiac should not eat rice? Oh, I'm getting sadder. :(

I'm going to pretend that I didn't read that... :blink:

One crisis at a time, people! :unsure:

jerseyangel Proficient

No, he didn't really say. The first time I saw him was about a year before I was diagnosed. At the time, I had not even heard of Celiac. He did muscle testing on me, and told me I should not eat wheat, oats, barley or rye--that's the first time I had ever been told that. I didn't know at the time that that was a gluten-free diet! There were several other foods he told me I shouldn't eat, some I should eat only 2 oz a week of, and recommended suppliments. When I followed his recommendations to the letter, I felt great. Problem is, I slowly went back to my regular way of eating. Fast forward to recently, when I mentioned it to him--and that's what he said. When he said a "true Celiac", I took it to mean "medically proven" because he is very anti-western medicine. Anyway, when I read Dangerous Grains a few months ago, I noticed a paragraph about rice being a potential problem for some Celiacs. It's on page 171 if you have the book. If not, I can post for you to read. I thought it was interesting, when I read it, because of what I had been told earlier. I did eat rice for as long as I could, but I started to get so sick, it wasn't worth it. All of this is just my experience--I in no way think anyone should take my word for anything--it's just food for thought. I also understand that some people don't believe in alternative medicine. I always say I was dx by both Alternative and western medicine because if I didn't get that "heads up" from the Kinesiologist, I might still be getting the run-around from the doctors I was seeing. I wouldn't have taken what I found out to a GI and asked to be tested for gluten.

Guest BERNESES

I know some people can't eat rice and I think you and I are similarly sensitive (try saying that three times fast :P ) Patti. I'm starting to wonder if I should cut out all grains for awhile and see what happens. :(

jerseyangel Proficient

Bev--when I first went gluten-free, I was actually having fun baking and enjoyed making "safe" goodies. I happily switched to gluten-free products, and really wasn't missing much. I loved WF breads. The honeymoon only lasted for a few months. I couldn't figure out what was up--I had been doing so well. The long and short of it is that I had to look at what I was eating every day--I mean, something was making me sick. Possibly, I over did it. I don't really know. I took the advice of others here and went to basics, adding things in slowly, and there it was. You could try cutting grain out for a few days and see how you feel--I sort of feel like the anti-rice person lately, and I'm not--I'd be eating gluten-free brownies right now if I could :ph34r: ! I just hate to see someone being sick for any longer than they have to--so I shared my experience. Let me know how it goes :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I think I should go totally grain free too, but then I think enough has been taken away and rice doesn't make me feel too terrible. Then I think about what gluten does to us and that maybe rice is doing damage even if I don't feel as bad when eating it--I JUST DONT KNOW ANYMORE!!!!! Brown rice made me pretty ill, white rice seems ok most of the time, but sometimes makes me feel pretty rotten--nothing like wheat, rye, barley, and oats did though. I do know that tapioca starch makes me ill, so that I can do away with. Tomatoes make me very ill and potatoes make me feel very blah. Doesnt leave much huh? Deb

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm right there with ya, Deb--especially on the Tapioca Starch (ouch)! At least I still have potatoes :D

jackals01 Newbie

My Kinesiologist is great! She diagnosed me with all my intolerances after my Gp told me that I wasn't lactose intolerant and didn't have glandular fever. After my first appointment my K told me after alot of muscle testing that I had glandular fever (which I knew), was intolerant to dairy and gluten (had no idea about gluten but she knew before she tested me) and also had candida which is now all gone.

She also told me to avoid rice but if I did eat it to limit myself to once every 4 days (same with millet) - so with that advice and a "recommended" anti-candida diet to follow I thought I was going to starve! Luckily meat and vege were still OK!

It was easy enough to cut out rice (I've also cut out carbs - breads (gluten-free), pasta (gluten-free) and rice) and now I am taking meds to help my thyroid out I'm feeling much better (apart from lack of sugar due to high insulin resistant levels)

I'd also like to say that if you are sick of all the tests that "regular" doctors put you through and even though you think you know what is wrong and they (or the tests) come back negative - try a kinesiologist - limited bloods are taken and muscle testing never lies - it just helps our bodies tell us what is going on.

I am however curious about food journals - maybe I need to make a new post on this - but what exactly do you write in these (have never been one for journals but hopefully this one I can keep going)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I am however curious about food journals - maybe I need to make a new post on this - but what exactly do you write in these (have never been one for journals but hopefully this one I can keep going)

In my journals I write pretty much everything. I write how I'm feeling, any symptoms I'm having, everything that goes into my mouth...including supplements. I also put down my weight (since I'm trying to gain but sometimes still lose). I write down any reactions I might get after eating...stuff like that.

I'm not as good about keeping the journal as I should be...I kind of go in spurts. There were periods of time that I was feeling really good and so I didnt write anything at all which isnt helpful....now I cant look back and see what I was doing right during those "good" times. :(

Ursa Major Collaborator

I cannot tolerate any lectins, which includes all grains, legumes, dairy, eggs or nightshades (see the link in my signature for more information). The symptoms for each lectin group (or even different foods in each group) vary, but they are all quite unpleasant.

When I eat rice I will get a bad stomach ache within half an hour. By the next day I will have severe diarrhea, my Tourette tics will have increased to be very noticeable and driving me nuts, I will be awfully tired and have no energy, and I will tend to have angry outbursts and be depressed. The diarrhea and stomach ache will be gone the third day, but the other symptoms will last for several more days.

Marlee Newbie
my Tourette tics will have increased to be very noticeable and driving me nuts,

Wow, just noticed the above quote and got curious. I also have Tourette's and wondered if it was linked somehow to diet. I haven't been able to find any research about it though. I would love any info you have :) Thanks.

Marlee

CMCM Rising Star

I'm stilll sorting all this out for myself. BUT...after I went gluten-dairy free in January, I started "testing" all these gluten free crackers, cookies, cakes, etc etc. As a result, my digestive system was a total wreck just like before, for the most part. I finally decided it was due to one or all of these items which characerize these alternate foods:

Sugar

rice flour

other alternate flours

starches such as tapioca starch (very suspicious)

Perhaps I can handle these on a very very limited basis. I eat only brown rice when I'm actually eating rice, but for the most part I totally avoid rice. We went to Chang's for dinner last night and I decided to have a small amount of brown rice with my chicken. I don't have a digestive upset from it, but I did note that I woke up feeling kind of nauseated for the first time in awhile. Due to the rice? I don't know.

One thing is for sure: I feel best when I eat absolutely NO grain of any kind. So that means none of the bread things that are gluten free. When I look at the ingredients in these things, they look pretty horrible actually and fairly devoid of any nutritional value. And fattening to the hilt!

I've been doing the Atkins diet for a week now (I was very good except for my "cheat" night last night at Chang's). I feel better than I've felt in over 3 years doing this diet. I'm eating eggs, small amounts of cheddar cheese (mostly in my omlet in the morning), vegetables, lean meats and fish, veggies. I can't tell you how good I suddenly feel on this diet. My stomach is totally normal again....I'd forgotten what that was like! :rolleyes:

Archived