arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Gluten Free Living Or Living Without Magazine?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Moongirl

Moongirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:18 AM

i cantt decide which one to order.....which do you prefer?
Dx & gluten-free since 12/09/05

Positive blood and endo test
Boston, MA

What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:00 AM

I will prefer which ever one will mail to Canada and Living Without won't. So, I will ask GFL if they will.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:07 AM

I've never seen Gluten Free Living--where can I find it?
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 SueC

SueC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:03 PM

you can order a subscription at glutenfreeliving.com
Sue

Diagnosed April 2005 via bloodwork and endoscopy

4 year old daughter diagnosed March 2006 via bloodwork and endoscopy
She was completely asymptomatic

4 year old also diagnosed with Graves disease Sept 2006

#5 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:21 PM

i like living without, beause they also have a lot of gluten-free/cf recipies.
Molly

#6 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 07:14 AM

I'd like to share my experience with GFL magazine. I ordered it in Jan. and got the Fall issue within two weeks. As of today, I have yet to get the Winter issue and it was 80 degrees here yesterday. I have e-mailed the company twice and twice they apologized for being late with the Winter issue. I finally called Visa to contest 75% of my yearly subs. rate of $29.95 (for four magazines). I personally can not afford to pay $7.48 for a magazine that never comes. I'm only paying for the fall issue and now I'm going to get Living Without instead.

I think GFL is a very good magazine but I would just buy it in a store if possible or go without it. I feel bad as I think the magazine may be in dire financial straights, or they would have gotten their winter issue out in the winter, not the spring. Well I'm not sure it's even out now but I think it is, but mine never showed up and since I cancelled, I don't care why anymoe.
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 07:46 AM

Tiffany--Thanks for letting us know--I've never seen GFL, but was planning on looking at the WF up in Princeton. I go there sometimes--I usually go to the one in Marlton, which is smaller. I know what you mean--it does look like they may be in trouble. Hope not. At any rate, I hope you get a refund for the issues you never received!
Patti

#8 Peggy Wagener

Peggy Wagener

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:50 PM

Hi!

I'm the publisher of Living Without magazine and happened to read one of the recent posts concerning Canadian subscriptions. Just want to set the record straight, we DO accept Canadian subscriptions but only by mail. We can't accept foreign orders through the Web site yet. Hopefully that will change in the next few months. For now, Canadians can subscribe via mail by sending a check (US Funds) to: Living Without, PO Box 2126, Northbrook, IL 60065. Canadian subscriptions are $10 more per year than the US subscriptions(mailing costs to Canada are really high) or $33 for one year and $50 for two years.

Thanks to all who support the magazine. It truly is a labor of love for everyone involved.

With healthy regards,

Peggy (celiac for nine years)

#9 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:57 PM

Hi!

I'm the publisher of Living Without magazine and happened to read one of the recent posts concerning Canadian subscriptions. Just want to set the record straight, we DO accept Canadian subscriptions but only by mail. We can't accept foreign orders through the Web site yet. Hopefully that will change in the next few months. For now, Canadians can subscribe via mail by sending a check (US Funds) to: Living Without, PO Box 2126, Northbrook, IL 60065. Canadian subscriptions are $10 more per year than the US subscriptions(mailing costs to Canada are really high) or $33 for one year and $50 for two years.

Thanks to all who support the magazine. It truly is a labor of love for everyone involved.

With healthy regards,

Peggy (celiac for nine years)

Not a canadian, but I bet they'll all appreciate the info!

Just wanted to say how I love Living Without, keep doing what you're doing! I love the recipes! In some ways, it's almost like a gluten-free, allergen-free Cooks Illustrated!
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#10 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:31 PM

I, too like Living Without--in fact I just bought the new issue at Whole Foods yesterday! :D
Patti

#11 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:55 PM

I'd like to share my experience with GFL magazine. I ordered it in Jan. and got the Fall issue within two weeks. As of today, I have yet to get the Winter issue and it was 80 degrees here yesterday. I have e-mailed the company twice and twice they apologized for being late with the Winter issue. I finally called Visa to contest 75% of my yearly subs. rate of $29.95 (for four magazines). I personally can not afford to pay $7.48 for a magazine that never comes. I'm only paying for the fall issue and now I'm going to get Living Without instead.

I think GFL is a very good magazine but I would just buy it in a store if possible or go without it. I feel bad as I think the magazine may be in dire financial straights, or they would have gotten their winter issue out in the winter, not the spring. Well I'm not sure it's even out now but I think it is, but mine never showed up and since I cancelled, I don't care why anymoe.

The same thing happened to me about two years ago with them. They were SOOOOO Rude!! The lady who I called to ask for info as to why my magazine never came, HUNG UP ON ME!! She kept blaming the problem on the postal service....it was crazyness. I canceled my subscription with them also and reported them to the better busisness buerau. They were horrible! Gluten Free Living Magazine stinks! ha

On the other hand living without magazine ROCKS!! I Highly Recommend that!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#12 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 04:13 PM

Another vote for Living Without.

I called Gluten Free Living to find out about getting an issue to see if I like it enough to subscribe. The woman on the other end was very nice an pleasant and offered to mail me a free copy. I thought great! That was until it took about 2 months for me to get that free copy! Now under normal circumstances this would be ridiculous but you have to factor in, I live about 10 minutes away from where it's published! I could have walked a copy to my house faster.
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

#13 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 04:08 AM

There's some funky stuff in that seasoning packet. I never feel good when I eat those. I'm also soy intolerant/allergic, but I think it's more a matter of some sort of weird hydrolized something or other that just doesn't agree with many people.

I prefer Living Without also...just got my latest one in the mail--always has great recipes. This issue is graham crackers, crepes, tortillas...just to name a few...
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#14 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:40 AM

I had the same experience that Tiffany had with GFL. They have grown too fast and can't keep up. Then the most recent issue I got had a big apology in it which was nice, but it seemed passive agressive to me. I wish I had it here, I'd explain why. Anyway, I don't really appreciate the info because while there is some good stuff in there, they also condone things I feel are misleading to people with Celiac/GI.

For example, this most recent issue had a letter to the editor about using skin care/hair care products with wheat, etc in them (they mentioned gluten-free Savonnerie) and why that was important if consumption was the only way to get contaminated by gluten. And GFL editor wrote that those sellers are taking advantage of Celiacs so they no longer will be allowed to advertise in the magazine and that you can't get glutened by using soap with wheat/oats, etc in it. But I know of many people on this list who have written in about their experiences of getting glutened in one form or the other from using health care products with wheat, etc, in them. So I think that is a disservice.

They also have an article about why oats are safe, so go ahead and eat them. But they don't make much of a case about how they have to be uncontaminated and how at least 30% of Celiacs will still have a problem with them anyway.

I think there is misinformation they are promoting in this magazine and I think the prices are way too high - by the way, they say in the opening statement that prices are going to have to go up, in fact, because they are getting so many subscriptions! What kind of argument is that??? When you get more business, your costs shouldn't be passed to the consumer, you should be able to lower subscription prices! I used to work at a magazine, so I know how that works.

Anyway, I don't have any experience with Living Without, other than a great pizza recipe I still use, but GFL does not get my vote.

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#15 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:45 AM

I think there is misinformation they are promoting in this magazine and I think the prices are way too high - by the way, they say in the opening statement that prices are going to have to go up, in fact, because they are getting so many subscriptions! What kind of argument is that??? When you get more business, your costs shouldn't be passed to the consumer, you should be able to lower subscription prices! I used to work at a magazine, so I know how that works.

Anyway, I don't have any experience with Living Without, other than a great pizza recipe I still use, but GFL does not get my vote.

Stephanie

Stephanie-
Thanks for posting your input... I bought the magazine once...but couldn't bring myself to buy another--it was like $7! That was incredible to me...but at the time I thought it was b/c of such a small subscription base, and that the price might improve. Sounds like some poor management or something...
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: