This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thinking And Memory Problems

megsylvan2

megsylvan2 Apprentice

One of my complaints over the last 5 years or so, has been issues with memory. It seems like I have none. It is adversely affecting my work. I went back to school recently and I notice this issue here too. It seems that by evening, when I am tired, I have lost most of my ability to think. I had a test at school recently, and kept having to read the questions over and over - they made no sense, nor did the answers. Fill in the blanks are difficult, as I can't come up with the words, even though I studied. If it weren't for multiple choice, I'd be in trouble, as I just can't seem to make the neurons fire across the synapses. I saw a neurologist for this several years ago, but was told there was nothing wrong, just normal aging. I just don't buy it. My husband is 3 years older than me, and he isn't having this problem. I do not think this is average or normal. My ability to think is definitely impaired. I used to feel I was smart, but now I feel very slow and not very smart at all.

Anyway, I do experience brain fog and have noticed a difference since going gluten-free. I noticed I was able to think more clearly. Is there anyone else here who has significant thinking and memory issues? Did you find that this improved drastically after being gluten-free for awhile? I guess I'm trying to find out if there is hope for improvement.

Also - are there any pianists or other musicians out there? Anyone who is using music to improve memory? I used to play when I was a child, and I took it up again about a year ago because I enjoy it. I also thought it would be a good way to exercise my brain and my memory. I am trying to memorize a repertoire of pieces. I wanted to do this just so I would be able to play some things without having to have the music in front of me, but it is also supposed to be a good way to sharpen the memory. It does take me a long time to memorize a piece. I know that is to be expected with my age (54), but it seems so difficult, and I have to constantly refresh the piece to keep it in memory. Just wondered if there was anyone else who does this and what kind of success they might be having.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nettiebeads Apprentice

Are you now gluten free? I would recommend selinium supplement - I work with numbers all day and sometimes my brain gets "tired"; selenium seems to help. Also try L-glutamine. It's an amino acid that helps promote intestinal health which in turn helps absorption. Have you checked your toiletries and meds for hidden gluten? Maybe you haven't gotten it all out of your system. Keep us posted!

Annette

Guhlia Rising Star

Music is extremely theraputic. I've tried to do the same things to help retrain my memory (to work). My best advice to you is to pick a piece of music that you're already familiar with, like a popular song. I found that this made it much less frustrating for me. Good luck!

megsylvan2 Apprentice

Thank you both for your kind replies. I am still working on being gluten free and deciding how much/how far I need to go. I have been noticing that I am able to think more clearly, the more gluten-free I get. So I guess I'll keep noticing how it goes.

The supplements are a good idea. I've not added back in my medications or vitamins or supplements yet, as I am still too new to this and raw. But supplements are a very good idea when I get a groove going here and get back on track. Thanks!

Love the music - just wish I had my younger memory back as it just takes too long to memorize. I guess only time will tell if there is any memory improvement.

:)

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Meg - the first paragraph of your post sounds like me EXACTLY, to a tee, and better than I could have described it myself since my brain feels SO impaired these days! IN fact, I gave up piano a few years ago, and used to practice up to five hours a day, because it just seemed too exhausting. I do feel it's an excellent memory and brain-sharpening exercise, so keep at it.

But what is confusing is that after being over 2 months gluten-free, I am back in a complete haze. You have said that you're thinking more clearly now - how long have you followed the diet? I am 44 - constantly re-reading sentences now - I don't know how much of this has to do wtih aging, either, but it doesn't SEEM like my peers are going through this at all.

Selenium? Let's try it.....

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I recommend eating blueberries! Research suggests that blueberries may help improve memory. I eat Europe's Best frozen blueberries and they are very good! I try to eat about 1 cup of frozen blueberries a day. Open Original Shared Link

Here is some information that I have found:

"A Better Brain with Blueberries

In animal studies, researchers have found that blueberries help protect the brain from oxidative stress and may reduce the effects of age-related conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease or dementia. Researchers found that diets rich in blueberries significantly improved both the learning capacity and motor skills of aging rats, making them mentally equivalent to much younger rats."

Open Original Shared Link

"Blueberries May Restore Some Memory, Coordination and Balance Lost with Age"

"Blueberries Help with Short Term Memory"

Superfoods book. There is a section on blueberries.

megsylvan2 Apprentice
Meg - the first paragraph of your post sounds like me EXACTLY, to a tee, and better than I could have described it myself since my brain feels SO impaired these days! IN fact, I gave up piano a few years ago, and used to practice up to five hours a day, because it just seemed too exhausting. I do feel it's an excellent memory and brain-sharpening exercise, so keep at it.

But what is confusing is that after being over 2 months gluten-free, I am back in a complete haze. You have said that you're thinking more clearly now - how long have you followed the diet? I am 44 - constantly re-reading sentences now - I don't know how much of this has to do wtih aging, either, but it doesn't SEEM like my peers are going through this at all.

Selenium? Let's try it.....

I'm not that much ahead of you, DingoGirl. It took me awhile to figure out what was going on, but once I figured out gluten, wheat & eggs were the problem, I was gluten free for just about 3 months. THen I got mad because my doctor said there was no problem except I should just not eat the things that bothered me, and performed another dietary self-test to be sure I was having problems with wheat and gluten. That took me about 2 weeks off the gluten-free diet, and now I am back on again. I did notice while on my 3 month gluten-free stretch that I was thinking more clearly.

Pre gluten-free, some days were very difficult, and I have been thus far unable to figure out what the issue was. I have to think for a living - I do system analysis, design, & coding, and I have to keep complex problems in my head, and remember many details and resolutions. At least, that is what I am supposed to do, but for the last 5 years I've seen that ability deteriorate drastically. I feel like I am failing, as so many younger around me are smarter and quicker and better at it. I worry for my job. Some days I could not make heads nor tails out of things that people would explain to me and could not follow the logic of problems and issues. It was terrible. I just couldn't "think". I feel like I need to shake my head vigorously and clear out -- something, I don't know what. I feel like I'm behind a veil or something; like my brain is stuck in neutral and won't shift into gear.

Other days I would be ok. I haven't figured out what it is. But, since I have noticed a difference since going gluten-free, and did notice a return of brain fog after eating gluten again, I'm hoping I am on to something, and that things will continue to improve, and I was looking for hopeful reinforcement. I don't know how good I can hope for and how much is aging & how much might be gluten. Not sure if brain cells will come out of hiding, or just heal over, if you know what I mean... I mean, people do joke about "senior moments", and I'm sure it's a continuum leading up to the senior years (late 60's & 70's though), but I don't think one suddenly becomes "dense". I also don't think I should be forgetting so much. It's like I can't seem to store things easily in long-term memory, and everything in RAM (short-term memory) goes away when the brain is turned off (either sleep or a couple of days go by).

I don't know. Guess we'll have to wait and see...

Wow - practice up to 5 hrs a day? Lucky you! Did you ever come upon a method to learn - I mean totally learn, - absorb to the point of 'knowing' all scales, keys, and chords? I'm struggling with that and just can't break though to the other side.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I'm a violinist (you might have guessed). I always memorize best aurally--I listen to whatever I'm trying to memorize over and over on a celiac disease before I start to learn it. with my fingers. It doesn't have to be active listening--you can be doing dishes, cooking, working on the computer, whatever. You probably know the theme song for the 6:00 news or Jeopardy by heart; that's becasue you hear them so often, they're in your memory bank for good!

My son had trouble with some rhythms on one of his Suzuki pieces (violin book1), so I made up silly words for it. It made him giggle, and he never had any trouble with that song ever again!

I love the blueberry idea--I'll have to try that!

megsylvan2 Apprentice
I recommend eating blueberries! Research suggests that blueberries may help improve memory. I eat Europe's Best frozen blueberries and they are very good! I try to eat about 1 cup of frozen blueberries a day. Open Original Shared Link

Here is some information that I have found:

"A Better Brain with Blueberries

A Better Brain with Blueberries, now that's what I need! Yes, I love the blueberry idea too. Interestingly enough, I have about 2 smoothies a day with.... you guessed it, -- blueberries. (At least most of the time, pineapples and blueberries seem to have become the staple.) But they are frozen, and I don't think I'm up to a cup per day. A cup per day of fresh blueberries would be very expensive!

Thanks for the links, Carriefaith. Definitely something to look into.

YankeeDB Contributor

I've been gluten free for 2 years now with many episodes of relapse (most recent 2 days ago from, I think, some ground beef from the market) that bring on the brain-fog for certain. Overall, my thinking can be very sharp if my diet is good in contrast to my months before diagnosis when I felt like my IQ dropped 30%.

I also avoid a number of other foods following an EVISTA test from York labs (eggs, soy, yeast, dairy, a few others). The better I stick to the diet, the better I feel and can think.

I took up piano/keyboard again about a year ago after not playing for 30 years. Memorizing IS harder. But there are many books an online tools to help with tasks like this. I do want to be able to play pieces without music, but I'm also building a repetoire to read from an 11 x 17 notebook I'm compiling where I put photocopies of my pieces in clear plastic sleeves. Anyway, all of it is very rewarding. It's good mentally and psychologically and I hope someday to play with others so it will be good socially too.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Wow - practice up to 5 hrs a day? Lucky you! Did you ever come upon a method to learn - I mean totally learn, - absorb to the point of 'knowing' all scales, keys, and chords? I'm struggling with that and just can't break though to the other side.

Meg - I don't know how you have such a complicated job - I am doing the MOST menial work currently as can't think at all, hope it doesn't stay that way! Your job sounds really difficult, so good for your that you're managing to hold it together.

I have a terrible time reading notes, studied piano for most of my life and could never get the brain/hand thing going wtih note-reading, could never do chords either. Basically I just worked to death to memorize a piece, it would take months for say, a Scarlatti sonata (I only played classical). I finally realized that it was just too much work for too little enjoyment and sold my piano last month.

FYI, about blueberries, I have read many times that they are one of the few foods that keep their full nutritional value even when frozen, which is great. Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? A good source.

Again, I am really impressed with your employment - I could NEVER do that wtih this fragmented brain....hope to get there, though... :)

Susan

megsylvan2 Apprentice
I'm a violinist (you might have guessed). I always memorize best aurally--I listen to whatever I'm trying to memorize over and over on a celiac disease before I start to learn it. with my fingers. It doesn't have to be active listening--you can be doing dishes, cooking, working on the computer, whatever. You probably know the theme song for the 6:00 news or Jeopardy by heart; that's becasue you hear them so often, they're in your memory bank for good!

My son had trouble with some rhythms on one of his Suzuki pieces (violin book1), so I made up silly words for it. It made him giggle, and he never had any trouble with that song ever again!

I love the blueberry idea--I'll have to try that!

Fiddle-Faddle! - I hadn't connnected it and never had enough time to read the screen names thread. Beautiful instrument.

Good point about the aural memory. You have to be able to 'hear' it to play it. I have gotten some of the books that include Compact Discs and listen to them at work. I'll try to notice if those are any easier to learn. I find I don't (can't) memorize the music on the printed page. I think I use a combination system of looking at my hands on the keys and hearing the music play out. I think the ear somehow leads you to the next notes. I'll bet if I work on some ear training, that might speed things along. Guess I need to find a piano or music forum somewhere.

Consistent exercise makes a huge difference in my mental abillities. Only problem is, I haven't had time for even inconsistent exercise lately....

megsylvan2 Apprentice
I've been gluten free for 2 years now with many episodes of relapse (most recent 2 days ago from, I think, some ground beef from the market) that bring on the brain-fog for certain. Overall, my thinking can be very sharp if my diet is good in contrast to my months before diagnosis when I felt like my IQ dropped 30%.

I also avoid a number of other foods following an EVISTA test from York labs (eggs, soy, yeast, dairy, a few others). The better I stick to the diet, the better I feel and can think.

I took up piano/keyboard again about a year ago after not playing for 30 years. Memorizing IS harder. But there are many books an online tools to help with tasks like this. I do want to be able to play pieces without music, but I'm also building a repetoire to read from an 11 x 17 notebook I'm compiling where I put photocopies of my pieces in clear plastic sleeves. Anyway, all of it is very rewarding. It's good mentally and psychologically and I hope someday to play with others so it will be good socially too.

Hey, the notebook is a good idea! Nice to collect everything from different books into one place. It took me about a year to recover my former level - how about you? And now I play better than I did as a child. I finally broke the confidence barrier, and learned what it means to really practice. It's a good stress reliever for me. Haven't found a decent online piano forum yet.

It's encouraging to hear that gluten free does help and that diet makes a difference. Nice to know the effort may reap rewards down the road.

Meg - I don't know how you have such a complicated job - I am doing the MOST menial work currently as can't think at all, hope it doesn't stay that way! Your job sounds really difficult, so good for your that you're managing to hold it together.

I have a terrible time reading notes, studied piano for most of my life and could never get the brain/hand thing going wtih note-reading, could never do chords either. Basically I just worked to death to memorize a piece, it would take months for say, a Scarlatti sonata (I only played classical). I finally realized that it was just too much work for too little enjoyment and sold my piano last month.

It's very stressful trying to hold my own at work. Probably isn't helping my health much.

With regard to the note-reading, from what I've read and experienced, it's patterns that you learn to recognize through chord study that makes the multiple notes in piano easier to read. You recognize groups of notes instead of having to read each one individually. That's one reason why I want to improve my knowledge of scales and chords. But I know what you mean - as an adult with many interests and responsibilities, it just takes too much time to be able to play to the level that you can appreciate... Such is life, I guess. :)

jknnej Collaborator

I am a high school choral teacher and a pianist and although I don't find I have any memory troubles, by the end of the day I'm extremely tired since going gluten-free. I'm considering teaching English next year instead because of it. There are just so many evening committments and having concerts and competition after a long days work is killing me since going gluten-free. Not to mention the fact that I can't just stop anywhere and eat with the kids.

I teach at a high school with 320 kids in choir, too! There are two of us directors.

Still, it would seem a shame to waste my master's in music by teaching English, but I'm kind of at a loss with the whole energy thing.

aikiducky Apprentice

I have memory problems and concentration problems when I get glutened, too. I find that for the stomach issues, I might not have to be so extremely careful with cross contamination etc. But if I want to keep my head sharp I have to be just very very careful. I've checked my shampoos etc, I don't eat out, I don't eat a lot of processed food. And it takes a few weeks to recover from a glutening completely.

For memorizing a piece of music I find that I need to find the music and the logic in the piece first. Then I can follow that. And it does take a lot of practice and repetition. The trick is to enjoy the process. :) otherwise it would be too frustrating, lol.

Pauliina

Lisa Mentor

I have so many, but can't remember now. Will check in tomorrow, if I remember. :blink:

megsylvan2 Apprentice
I am a high school choral teacher and a pianist and although I don't find I have any memory troubles, by the end of the day I'm extremely tired since going gluten-free. I'm considering teaching English next year instead because of it. There are just so many evening committments and having concerts and competition after a long days work is killing me since going gluten-free. Not to mention the fact that I can't just stop anywhere and eat with the kids.

I teach at a high school with 320 kids in choir, too! There are two of us directors.

Still, it would seem a shame to waste my master's in music by teaching English, but I'm kind of at a loss with the whole energy thing.

I'm new to the gluten-free lifestyle, so I can't really advise on the process, except what I've experienced so far. And so far, I have not experienced being really tired. Are you sure you are getting enough nutrients? Have you had your iron checked lately and other bloodwork done? Maybe others here can help you more, but it doesn't seem right that you should be extra tired.

My son is a music ed major right now, and watching the high school band, orchestra, and choral directors, DH and I have been struck by how much they have to put into their jobs with all the evening rehearsals and concerts and all. Marching band especially demands an awful lot. But, music is a passion, and I would think it would be very rewarding to make such a difference in the lives of the kids.

nettiebeads Apprentice

I understand your passion. I'm an ex-band mom and I remember the band teachers always on the go. Couldn't you teach english and be an unpaid consultant to the band and choir? Or tutor? or give private lessons? That way you're protecting your health and using your degree. Just a thought. I feel better when I eat a high protein diet with lots of veggies. I had traveled with the band to competitions before and the stops are always fast food joints. I agree with you, traveling under those circumstances is not good for those with celiac. Good luck with everything!

Annette

• 4 weeks later...
Ellen A. Newbie

I'm new to this Celiac forum, and have read many, many posts tonite. Mostly because it feels like old home week. I have so much in common with so many who post on this list. I also participate in another Celiac forum, though the other one is of a different nature. Lots of ads from gluten-free companies for example.

Anyway, this particular thread interests me because I am a musician as well. I was a piano major in college and have a Masters Degree in Early Childhood. My husband and I perform concerts for children and present teacher workshops on integrating music into the classroom.

I don't know where to start, other than to first say that if I weren't so tired, I would jump up and joyfully click my heels. How great to find other Celiac musicians who are going through the same thing as I am. I concur, the memory thing has just gotten worse and worse. I can't memorize lyrics to save my life. I used to memorize entire concertos when I was in college! And I have a terribly difficult time following any kind of conversation. Sometimes in the middle of talking to someone, I realize that I have no idea what we're talking about. I'm often mortified at how stupid I feel.

I've been gluten-free since November, with the exception of re-introducing gluten in December. I had the TTG blood test in late October, my internist confirmed Celiac. She told me I didn't have to have the endoscopy if I didn't want to. I decided against it, went gluten-free for one month, couldn't believe how hard it was, and then decided to have the endoscopy. I found a GI doc in Boston who specializes in celiac disease and he said that in order to get accurate results, I'd need to go on a gluten challenge. I went back on gluten for one month. My stomach issues, which I really hadn't given much credence to, returned with a vengeance.

The reason I had the blood test in the first place was because after being diagnosed with Alopecia last March, I read and read and read everything I could on the internet. When I found a reference to the book "Dangerous Grains" by Ron Hoggan, I read it and found a mention of Alopecia and Celiac Disease. It was then that I asked my internist to do the blood test. Oh, yeah, no small thing....my sister was diagnosed with Celiac and Thyroid Disease (Hashimoto's) five years ago. Her GI doc never told her that celiac disease was genetic. Can you even believe it? Anyway, I essentially, I diagnosed myself! I had also been plagued with stomach issues my whole life. Nothing as serious as diarrhea, but stomach aches and in the last year before going gluten-free, I lived on tums (with never helped, and also contain gluten!). During that last year of major intestinal discomfort (I was also taking generic ibuprofen at night to help me sleep because my stomach would otherwise keep my awake). And of course, the generic ibuprofen also has gluten. Duh.

I think my hair is still falling out. It comes out in large clumps when I wash it. Though lately I think that has slowed down:). I'm hoping that within another 6 months, it will either stop falling out or even grow back where it has fallen out. It's not terribly obvious, you might not even notice, but if I pull my hair back behind one ear, you can see the severe hair loss. And I have a newer patch which began falling out on the back of my scalp as well.

After reading so many of the other posts on the other threads, I am going to make a renewed effort to get rid of the gluten in my life. I've thought that I've been really good about getting all the gluten out of my diet and life. But I've been a bit sloppy about some things like cosmetics and skin creams. Though I realize you don't ingest them, why should I take a chance? The thing that will be one of the hardest will be not coloring my hair anymore. My stylist/colorist said that she checked with Aveda and they insist that their dyes don't contain gluten. But after everything I've read on this forum, I'm not sure if I really believe her. Especially because almost everything Aveda makes has gluten in it. But the thing is, I am TERRIBLY vain. I've had my hair colored and highlighted and I really love it. My gray grows back very quickly and within three weeks, I need to have the roots redone. Do I let the gray grow out? Should I stop coloring it at the salon? Should I do it myself at home? I'll never be able to do as good a job as my colorist does.

Anyway, for those of you who read this far, thanks:). I guess I needed to vent a bit. If you want to know more about me, check out my blog at www.IAmglutenfree.blogspot.com. It's mostly about my cooking escapades.

Any suggestions on the hair dying issue would be most welcome! Thanks for all your posts. And good luck with the piano playing and memorizing. The scale thing takes time and effort. And practicing over and over and over. Use a metronome too. Any questions about it, feel free to email me.

Best, Ellen

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I concur, the memory thing has just gotten worse and worse. I can't memorize lyrics to save my life. I used to memorize entire concertos when I was in college!
Seriously try bluberries for memory improvement, I try to eat about 1 cup a day and my memory has really improved. I remember a lot of things that I never used to remember.

I think my hair is still falling out. It comes out in large clumps when I wash it. Though lately I think that has slowed down:). I'm hoping that within another 6 months, it will either stop falling out or even grow back where it has fallen out. It's not terribly obvious, you might not even notice, but if I pull my hair back behind one ear, you can see the severe hair loss. And I have a newer patch which began falling out on the back of my scalp as well.
I had more than normal hair loss when I was extrememly ill from celiac disease. The hair loss stopped after I started the diet though.

Any suggestions on the hair dying issue would be most welcome!
I would make sure that you have a gluten-free shampoo and conditioner, but gluten in hair color I think is a personal decision. I think that I would still use hair color with gluten since the gluten should be washed away. I would just make sure that no water got into my mouth for the first week or so after coloring.
CarlaB Enthusiast

I play the flute and have noticed that the difficult music is easier and so is sight reading now that I'm gluten free. I got "glutened" Saturday evening and played at Church Sunday morning. Normally I can switch from key signature to key signature during Mass with no problem, but last Sunday my mind was definately not as sharp! One song had 4 flats, the next 5 sharps ... the first couple measures of each sounded pretty bad.

I don't try to memorize music, but even playing off sheet music is intellectually challenging and I can see how it can keep the brain working. After 23 years of not playing and taking it up again 2 years ago, it definately has been a challenge. It's amazing how difficult counting to four can be.

Any suggestions on the hair dying issue would be most welcome! Thanks for all your posts. And good luck with the piano playing and memorizing. The scale thing takes time and effort. And practicing over and over and over. Use a metronome too. Any questions about it, feel free to email me.

Best, Ellen

Hi, Ellen, welcome aboard!

My hair falls out when I get it colored, too. I finally decided that healthy gray hair looks a heck of a lot better than half-bald, half-dyed (and you can ALWAYS tell that dyed hair is dyed, the colors just aren't quite right), so I am pretending that my gray hairs are highlights. The positive side is that I'm saving a small fortune, and my hair is thicker and much shinier than it was when I was getting it colored.

We should have a gluten-free music festival!

Archived