This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Finding A Boyfriend

joemoe003

squiffy Newbie

hey

i don't think it matters if they have got celiac disease or not.

i had only just started seeing someone when i first found out, and we are still together he is really good about it and it doesn't affect us at all! :)

it's who the person is that counts not what his diet consists of, if he really does like you and is the right person for you then he'll understand and you can work with it, if not he's simply not worth it!

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
watchthestars Rookie
You know, this topic brings up a good question/thought provoking idea that for some of us could be in the near future, and for others of us on here, is still far away: Would it be easier having a husband/or being in a serious relationship with someone who has celiac disease? Boy, all of that was a mouth full. But honestly, I've thought about this exact thing a lot lately. I just turned 19, so in all truthfullness, I could be getting married in a couple years. A part of me thinks it would be so much simpler to find a nice celiac disease guy with the same standards as myself, and just live out our life as a gluten-free couple/family. Yet another part of me wants someone who is alot more healthy then I am, so that my kids could have a better chance of not being celiac disease. Does that make sense? I figure, if my husband is really healthy, then my kids might be a lot more healthy then I am....ah, this is probably all wishful thinking....veryyyy wishful thinking. In any case, I'm going to call it a night. Any thoughts of this topic? *not necessarily on my ramblings*

ha, that same sort of thing has crossed my mind. i'm also 19 and have been with my boyfriend for almost a year now, and we know we will get married after college. the thing is, he has type 1 diabetes and i have celiac (or gluten intolerence...whatever i don't really see a difference.) So, our kids are basically doomed! plus they've found there is some sort of link between celiac and type 1 diabetes. i feel like our kids will be at high risk for both! ah, poor babies...

• 2 weeks later...
joemoe003 Apprentice
hey

i don't think it matters if they have got celiac disease or not.

i had only just started seeing someone when i first found out, and we are still together he is really good about it and it doesn't affect us at all! :)

it's who the person is that counts not what his diet consists of, if he really does like you and is the right person for you then he'll understand and you can work with it, if not he's simply not worth it!

i think it does matter if your partner eats gluten or not cuz i read somewhere on this site that gluten is in peoples systems after they eat it and it can be passed on through spit and whatever else well neways i jus wanted to tell you that if you need more info about it i would search it

Lisa Mentor

When you are looking for the pot to boil, it never does.

Stay free, stay young and open minded. You will never know who is just arround the corner, if you're looking the other way.

All of you will find someone who will love you just the way you are. Find someome, who knows what you are thinking, that can finish your sentences, someone they knows what you need before you do. And, someone who puts your needs infront of his/her needs.....Then, Celiac, will never be an issue.

Good luck, and happy watching..... Lisa The're out there, you just have to look, sometime, it's right in front of you.

:):)

squiffy Newbie
i think it does matter if your partner eats gluten or not cuz i read somewhere on this site that gluten is in peoples systems after they eat it and it can be passed on through spit and whatever else well neways i jus wanted to tell you that if you need more info about it i would search it

yeah, that is true, but my boyfriend just doesn't eat the foods i can't eat when he is with me, or if he does he brushes his teeth or just doesn't kiss me for a hour after (as thats how long it takes until you are totally gluten free). it can be awkward but that doesn't mean you should only go for guys who are gluten free, it should be who you like and what feels right that makes you go for someone, not how they eat, as these things can be worked round.

debmidge Rising Star

Advice from old lady: met husband when I was 17 and married him. He came down with undiagnosed celiac disease in 1977 but I married him anyway in 1979; didn't know what it was but there was dietary issues involved that started during our engagement years when I was 19. Still married to him.

In 2003 he was officially diagnosed with celiac disease. It's been a struggle all these years filled with financial and health ups and downs. But we are determined to be the victors over the problems.

My point: It's the character of the person that counts, not the fact that the boyfriend or girlfriend has celiac disease. A successful relationship has to be based on more than dietary issues.

If the love interest (guy or girl) cannot deal with their boyfriend/girlfriend's celiac disease diet then that person probably won't be able to deal with any other serious (or not so serious) issues that come up in the relationship.

In conclusion: Finding the right person, even for a short term high school/college relationship, isn't easy when there are no dietary issues to contend with.

The challenge of the dietary issue will show you just what kind of a person this non-celiac is made of.

If the love interest cannot handle the celiac disease issues, then you know upfront and sooner than most in non celiac relationships would know, that this person is not the "person" for you for a long term relationship nor for marriage.

Put yourself in the driver's seat and use this criteria as a way to weed out the jerks. YOU do the choosing based on his response/actions.

Guest ChloeB
I have been thinking about getting a celiac boyfriend to make it easyer on myself since i have celiac disease. but i have no idea where to even begin to look for one. and im not gonna run some personal ad in the paper cuz im only 15. what do you think i should do? i mean even if i cant get a celiac b/f it would be nice to at least talk to some people the same age as me that have it. is trying to get a celiac disease b/f is that a good idea? or should i jus stick with a non-celiac disease b/f? So please tell me what you think would be then best thing for me to do.

*Joe Moe*

hi I'm chloe, I wouldnt even get one at this age becuase I use to have one but then we nerver talked and at the begining of the next school year on the first day he bugged me and I was a bit embarresed!

-CHLOE.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lightningfoot speakin words Contributor

God I agree, and is anyone else sick of your parents saying Hahaha you cant kiss a boy cuz your gonna get sick. My parents were like discussing it and came up with well, you will just have to give up on boys. But I know how you feel, I am the only one in my school with celiac so no luck there. (well there is one girl but GIRL)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
When you are looking for the pot to boil, it never does.

Stay free, stay young and open minded. You will never know who is just arround the corner, if you're looking the other way.

Well said Lisa...I totally agree.

• 2 weeks later...
watchthestars Rookie
Are you planning to have children, despite these risks?

Just wondering.

Yes, i am, someday.

Is that selfish?

I think people with both diabetes and celiac are still able to enjoy life. just a guess.

utdan Apprentice

I just posted something here and then I saw the "teenagers only section." sorry.

• 2 months later...
~~~AnnaBelle~~~ Newbie

Go with a celiacs b/f but when you find one, make sure he has a friend and have him message me sometime, lol :-P

~~~Annie~~~

Archived