4 replies to this topic

#1 taneil

taneil

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 11:01 AM

I have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism, it is an autoimmune thyroid problem, I believe that Gluten Intolerance trigger the Hashimoto's. I have actually read some information about how going gluten-free may allow the thyroid to re-regulate itself. This is what I am praying. I have been gluten-free for 1 month and am going to get some more blood work done to check my thyroid again. I don't know if gluten-free alone will be enough for things to get corrected but so far I am getting less of the Hypothyroid symptoms. My doctor is a little worried about my decision to try gluten-free diet before hormone replacement stuff, but she said I could try.
Taneil
Enterolab Diagnosed May 2004
gluten-free/CF and have both genes

Psalm 27:13-14
I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD In the land of the living. Wait for the LORD;
Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the LORD.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tammy

tammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 06:19 PM

:D Hi,

I too am Hypothroid with Hashimoto's. My thyroid is regulated with two thyroid medications, at this time. I also have adrenal insufficiency. I am gluten-free since December of 2002. The endocrinologist did reduce one of my thyroid medications from 15 mcg to 7.5 mcg. within the last year. I was happy.

What has your experience been with the effects of an autoimmune disease?

Take Care of yourself.

#3 taneil

taneil

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 07:22 AM

Update on my Hypothyroid. I have been gluten-free for six months now and am feeling pretty good. I recently had blood work done again for celiac disease and my thyroid. My TSH level dropped from 98 to 6 and my IgG level dropped from 40 to 9. My doctor was very impressed that my TSH had dropped so much just by going gluten-free. I am also taking a supplament to support my Thyroid, but no hormones.

Anyway, I am excited that the gluten-free diet has helped so much with my Thyroid. Technically my Thyroid is still high but I also haven't stayed away from Caesin. So know I am going to avoid Caesin and see if that will help my TSH to drop to a normal level.

I just wanted to let everyone know that diet does have a lot to do with our health. And if something is wrong it doesn't mean we need a drug to fix the problem. We need to be proactive to find the root cause and fix the problem not just put a band-aid on it.
Taneil
Enterolab Diagnosed May 2004
gluten-free/CF and have both genes

Psalm 27:13-14
I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD In the land of the living. Wait for the LORD;
Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the LORD.

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 07:27 AM

congrats on the great results! :-)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 ryebaby0

ryebaby0

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 01:14 PM

My son and husband are celiac disease; my other son and I tested completely negative and are asymptomatic -- but I was dx w/ Hashimoto's about 3 months ago. (they discovered that while working on gyn problems....) Does anybody know if I should think about having my celiac disease screens run again?

joanna
Mom/wife to celiacs dx 12/03 and 12/04

Success is never final and failure never fatal. It's courage that counts -George Tilton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: