This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Reflux Discussion

Jnkmnky

ebrbetty Rising Star
my reflux is getting so bad---i am having trouble swallowing my food down. i'm going to have to go see a gi---i've just put it off for so long. sometimes when i burp, my food comes upt to the back of my throat.

christine

christine, do you have acid/burning too? if nothing else works, try baking soda..it will calm it down!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chrissy Collaborator

i don't get alot of burning---unless something gets stuck. i once had food stuck in my esophagus for 30-45 min. it was awful and hurt so bad. i couldn't swallow anything. i'd throw up fluid from my esophagus,(nothing from my stomach, since it was blocked) get a little relief, and then the pain would start up again. i am wondering if i have a stricture. i also feel like i have something caught in there sometimes. i used to get horrible chest pains that would hurt all the way to my teeth. my husband loves to use baking soda for heartburn.

christine

Jnkmnky Collaborator
i don't get alot of burning---unless something gets stuck. i once had food stuck in my esophagus for 30-45 min. it was awful and hurt so bad. i couldn't swallow anything. i'd throw up fluid from my esophagus,(nothing from my stomach, since it was blocked) get a little relief, and then the pain would start up again. i am wondering if i have a stricture. i also feel like i have something caught in there sometimes. i used to get horrible chest pains that would hurt all the way to my teeth. my husband loves to use baking soda for heartburn.

christine

I don't know what your insurance looks like, but for me, I'd rather try one of the procedures rather than live with the symptoms of reflux. For me, anyway, it's all I can focus on when it gets going. It rules my life. I haven't gone off the prilosec today because I didn't want to be in the throws of fiery agony for easter baskets and hunting.. That would be a bummer. So, I'll go off the meds when my kids go back to school on Monday... I have to say, I'm scared of how it's going to go! :mellow:

chrissy Collaborator

the meds are so darn expensive---even with insurance. i would like to do a fundo on one of my twins. my baby has had a fundo. i think i need an endo done----then i can decide what to do from there. right now i am taking nexium---my doc gave me a months worth of samples.

christine

key Contributor

JnkMnky,

I have the burning in my throat when I get heartburn. I don't have the actual food coming back up in my mouth or anything. I went off prilosec for a month without a problem. Then got careless about caffeine, mainly had coffee two days in a row and I was miserable. So this is my worst trigger. I am on prilosec again for three days, but gave up the coffee again and so I am hoping to go off the prilosec tomorrow again. I just need to follow the diet that is best for me.

Hope you get some relief. I can feel your pain. It is a miserable thing to have.

Monica

Jnkmnky Collaborator
JnkMnky,

I have the burning in my throat when I get heartburn. I don't have the actual food coming back up in my mouth or anything. I went off prilosec for a month without a problem. Then got careless about caffeine, mainly had coffee two days in a row and I was miserable. So this is my worst trigger. I am on prilosec again for three days, but gave up the coffee again and so I am hoping to go off the prilosec tomorrow again. I just need to follow the diet that is best for me.

Hope you get some relief. I can feel your pain. It is a miserable thing to have.

Monica

My problem is that I've been on the prilosec for so long( 2 1/2 months ), that a rebound effect is very likely. I tried to go off it while my husband was home and WHOA! I couldn't take the pain. I took a pill by 1pm on the second day. Plus, I burped constantly. I opened my mouth to talk and burps came out. It wasn't a small deal. It was like constant. So, I am off coffee, past the headache stage, and ready to go tomorrow for the big quit. I'm really nervous about how bad it will be because I was hunched over, gripping my chest after only one day off the prilosec! :unsure: I relate to that "heart attack" feeling.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
My problem is that I've been on the prilosec for so long( 2 1/2 months ), that a rebound effect is very likely. I tried to go off it while my husband was home and WHOA! I couldn't take the pain. I took a pill by 1pm on the second day. Plus, I burped constantly. I opened my mouth to talk and burps came out. It wasn't a small deal. It was like constant. So, I am off coffee, past the headache stage, and ready to go tomorrow for the big quit. I'm really nervous about how bad it will be because I was hunched over, gripping my chest after only one day off the prilosec! :unsure: I relate to that "heart attack" feeling.

Can you take Tums? Do they contain gluten? Or Mylanta?

Maybe the baby reflux diet (half as much twice as often) might help?

And stay away from citrus , tomato sauce, and other acidic or spicy foods for a while! I wonder if rice can help with the acid?

Good luck--let us know how it's going!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Thanks fiddle... the GI told me to get a few bottles of mylanta and prepare for the worst. Tums doesn't help me much at all. He said to expect it to be pretty bad for at least the couple first days... by the FIFTH :o day to expect it to be better IF it's going to get better!!! double yikes! :o:o

key Contributor

Jnkmnky,

I don't know why, but Tums and Rolaids makes mine worse, I believe. I don't understand it at all. I think I do need to stay away from high fat, dairy and mainly coffee and diet soda. I don't know why Mt. Dew doesn't bother me. So strange. I don't like all the sugar in them though, so I really just need to give all my addictions up. I was on Prilosec for a month and tried to go off of it once or twice in there, but couldn't. THen I quit it after a month and I wasn't drinking coffee and I was fine for like three weeks. Drank coffee two days and it was back again. Very annoying. I don't have it as bad as you do I guess. I have been on Prilosec for four days again, but I am planning on going off now that I quit coffee.

I really believe though that not eating the foods that give us troubles can help it, if not cure it. Just being committed to it is hard for me. There are already so many things I can't have.

Monica

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Well, I'm commited to going coffee free. I did it once for like three years, so I know I can do it. I AM doing it right now... just that I really like the stuff. Well, it's no longer a choice when the consequence is inability to function, I guess. Being gluten free, mostly dairy free, coffee and soda free... well, it's all for the best. The burps have already started. Everytime I MOVE.. seriously. :( At least it hasn't started hurting! :)

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Could exercise help? Maybe it would help foods--and acid-- move faster through the system?

Archived