35 replies to this topic

#16 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

Bloom where you are planted.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:12 AM

Thank you all so much for sharing these experiences. I guess there is HOPE that if I stop eating an offending food, I can go off the meds? Is that what you think?
I believe in God.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 ebrbetty

ebrbetty

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 05:37 PM

have you tried DGL?
~Betty

#18 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 06:01 PM

What is DGL?? :blink:

#19 ebrbetty

ebrbetty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 06:16 PM

I just ordered another bottle, I'm mad at myself for stopping it, it did help..heres info on it, this is the brand I buy Enzymatic Therapy Inc.

http://www.mothernat...Books/23/98.cfm
~Betty

#20 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 01:29 PM

Had a great GI appt today. Will try to go off of the Prilosec beginning tomorrow. The Dr said to be prepared for rebound effect! :( Have two bottles of Mylanta on hand, he said to use it as often as necessary and to give it a week to see if I improve. He also has at his disposal the new pill/camera technology in place of an endoscope as well as the nonsedative endoscope which is new. Which is great since I can't take sedation due to the benzodiazapines! So, I feel some hope here. My doc was really hopeful and seemed very up to date on all the new procedures. Keeping my fingers crossed and my prayers constant!
I believe in God.

#21 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 02:07 PM

JnkMnky (or anyone else),

Can you explain to me what reflux is? Is it when your food comes back up after you eat? This happens to me sometimes. I get a really full feeling in my throat and it feels like if I burp food will come up. It doesnt hurt though. I notice it happens if I eat too much at once or if I eat a meal high in carbs. Is this GERD? Its just an annoying feeling and it never happened to me before I got sick and I could eat tons more than what I'm eating now and not get that backed-up feeling in my throat. What is that? What causes it? Should I just eat less? :unsure:
Rachel

#22 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 02:21 PM

Yes, I believe food can come back up. That's not what's happening to me so much, though. You may want to talk to a dr about your experience. It could be the beginning of a weakening of your LES *lower esophogial Sphincter* (spelling questionable there)... I'm just thinking that if this is the beginning for you of developing GERD, you may want to take precautions such as smaller meals, chewing more, not laying down after a meal, eating at least three hours before bed... Cause, you don't want what it morphs in to! :o Hurts like nothing I can describe when it gets ugly. :(
For me it's more acid reflux with the acid coming back up and it also seems like my LES is permanently open with the gas and acid washing back into my mouth. It burns like nobody's business and makes me feel like death, frankly. And the pain in my chest and stomach makes me writhe around. I can't do anything normal like be a human being. It's impossible because the pain is all consuming.

Edited by Jnkmnky, 14 April 2006 - 03:45 PM.

I believe in God.

#23 ebrbetty

ebrbetty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 02:34 PM

when I'm having a flare up, my tongue and lips burn, its awful!
the DGL came, thank goodness..feeling better already!
~Betty

#24 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for the info JnkMnky,

Sorry you have to go through that. :(
Whatever I have its nothing like that...I havent experienced any pain from it. I think maybe its from the bloating...I get bloated all the way up to my chest sometimes. I'll talk to the GI about it....he said my digestive system is really slow so I need to eat slowly, small portions and chew my food really good. Thats pretty much the opposite of how I normally eat so maybe thats my problem. I hope this stuff can work itself out with healing.
Rachel

#25 chrissy

chrissy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:46 AM

my reflux is getting so bad---i am having trouble swallowing my food down. i'm going to have to go see a gi---i've just put it off for so long. sometimes when i burp, my food comes upt to the back of my throat.
christine
Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005
11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005
17 year old son with celiac gene

#26 ebrbetty

ebrbetty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 11:56 AM

my reflux is getting so bad---i am having trouble swallowing my food down. i'm going to have to go see a gi---i've just put it off for so long. sometimes when i burp, my food comes upt to the back of my throat.
christine

christine, do you have acid/burning too? if nothing else works, try baking soda..it will calm it down!
~Betty

#27 chrissy

chrissy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 03:59 PM

i don't get alot of burning---unless something gets stuck. i once had food stuck in my esophagus for 30-45 min. it was awful and hurt so bad. i couldn't swallow anything. i'd throw up fluid from my esophagus,(nothing from my stomach, since it was blocked) get a little relief, and then the pain would start up again. i am wondering if i have a stricture. i also feel like i have something caught in there sometimes. i used to get horrible chest pains that would hurt all the way to my teeth. my husband loves to use baking soda for heartburn.
christine
Christine

#28 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 05:58 PM

i don't get alot of burning---unless something gets stuck. i once had food stuck in my esophagus for 30-45 min. it was awful and hurt so bad. i couldn't swallow anything. i'd throw up fluid from my esophagus,(nothing from my stomach, since it was blocked) get a little relief, and then the pain would start up again. i am wondering if i have a stricture. i also feel like i have something caught in there sometimes. i used to get horrible chest pains that would hurt all the way to my teeth. my husband loves to use baking soda for heartburn.
christine

I don't know what your insurance looks like, but for me, I'd rather try one of the procedures rather than live with the symptoms of reflux. For me, anyway, it's all I can focus on when it gets going. It rules my life. I haven't gone off the prilosec today because I didn't want to be in the throws of fiery agony for easter baskets and hunting.. That would be a bummer. So, I'll go off the meds when my kids go back to school on Monday... I have to say, I'm scared of how it's going to go! :mellow:
I believe in God.

#29 chrissy

chrissy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 03:36 PM

the meds are so darn expensive---even with insurance. i would like to do a fundo on one of my twins. my baby has had a fundo. i think i need an endo done----then i can decide what to do from there. right now i am taking nexium---my doc gave me a months worth of samples.
christine
Christine

#30 key

key

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 04:48 PM

JnkMnky,
I have the burning in my throat when I get heartburn. I don't have the actual food coming back up in my mouth or anything. I went off prilosec for a month without a problem. Then got careless about caffeine, mainly had coffee two days in a row and I was miserable. So this is my worst trigger. I am on prilosec again for three days, but gave up the coffee again and so I am hoping to go off the prilosec tomorrow again. I just need to follow the diet that is best for me.
Hope you get some relief. I can feel your pain. It is a miserable thing to have.
Monica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: