26 replies to this topic

#16 lorka150

lorka150

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:52 AM

The peeing makes me wonder if you have been checked for diabetes? Also, if you have been eating mostly protein and not much carbohydrates, it will cause insomnia. Just throwing out some ideas... tea, even decaf makes me pee like crazy at night. You also could have an irritable bladder. Also, have you tried melatonin? Some people I know swear by it. When I have those bouts, I eat some fruit or something like a rice cake and take a whopping dose of Benadryl. I use that stuff like crazy. The doctor told me it is one of the safest things to take. (I hate meds) :)

Thanks Robbin. I have been checked for diabetes a few times. I don't eat a lot of protein. I only drink herbal tea. I've tried melatonin and it works sometimes.
I went to the states this morning and bought some Benedryl from your request. Thanks so much. (I hate meds, too!)
Gluten-free, Vegan

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Lauren M

Lauren M

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:13 AM

I know Trazodone is gluten-free... don't know about the other restrictions you have though. It's worth a try - for me it works wonders. I'm the same way in that I don't have too much trouble falling asleep, it's STAYING asleep that's the problem. I also get up to use the bathroom 3-4 times a night. Pre-Traz I used to wake up @ 2-3am wide awake with my mind going a million miles a minute. With Traz, I sleep much sounder! I think Ambien is more for people who have problems falling asleep to begin with, unless maybe you tried Ambien CR (controlled release). It did not help me stay asleep through the night.

Worth a try looking at Trazodone!

- Lauren

#18 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 11:25 AM

I too take Benadryll (or Sominex OTC). Two years ago my ex doc gave me 30 Ambien and I took about 12 before seeing a Neurologist for shingles pain. He made me go off the Ambien that night and I was already adicted to it. I did not sleep for five nights and it was the worst week of my life. I was still in pain as I had to step up on Neuronton for nerve pain and I couldn't even get 8 hours of relief from soul crushing pain by sleeping. My Neruo doc said he thinks Ambien is very dangerous but that was before the milder version of it came out.
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

#19 francelajoie

francelajoie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 12:18 PM

Want some of my blood cells?
I go to bed at 10, probably asleep by 10:05......wake up at 6am.
I've never slept better in my life since being gluten free.
France

#20 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:00 PM

Want some of my blood cells?
I go to bed at 10, probably asleep by 10:05......wake up at 6am.
I've never slept better in my life since being gluten free.

Same here but in my case I always slept well....just for too long and it took me about 1 1/2 hours to fully wake up. When I posted about sleeping aids above I guess I should have stated that I took those very raely while on gluten. When I went off gluten after about two weeks I started waking up when the alarm went off OR even a little before it did. My husband was like 'where is my wife?'. So instead of needing 8-9 hours of sleep now I can get 7 hours and feel great all day. Just another reason to love being gluten free!
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

#21 Lynxear

Lynxear

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:16 PM

As a borderline narcoleptic I take a sleeping pill when it is necessary to get a long sleep (ie. more than 4 hours continuous sleep)

I have never needed an alarm clock. I normally wake up briefly every hour and actually play a game with myself as to what the time is.

I take a little blue pill, Zopiclone, 7.5 mg. Actually I find I don't need a whole pill so it is about 3.7mg

I am told this is a pill is designed for narcolepsy. It has little or no drug after effect. It is fast working. HOWEVER, you have to be ready for sleep OR it doesn't work. You will fall asleep easily unless you are active (doing computer games before you go asleep doesn't work...)

I don't take it all the time thought since I don't want to depend on it.

#22 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 04:39 PM

Thanks. I am going to try the Benedryl first and then go from there.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#23 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 06:53 PM

Thanks. I am going to try the Benedryl first and then go from there.

I use the antihistamines sometimes but I found a better herbal mix. Plain valerian didn't work so well for me but valerian with skullcap (sometimes they add hops too) seems to do the trick for me.

#24 monicaleestudios

monicaleestudios

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:24 PM

Wow! An entire forum on sleeping pills, just up my alley. I am an international flight attendant, a sleeping pill pro. I had been taking Ambein for several years every night and went to my Dr. to see about Lunesta. I did not feel as though Ambein was safe daily. She replied that she did not like to prescribe "new" drugs for sleeping and switched me to a low dose of Triazidone. It has been great for me. I really feel safe and normal on it. I feel more relaxed on it and the next afternoon am not a exhausted. BUT it simply does not work on different timezone. I do take Ambein for big time changes and yes, a big dose. A small dose only keeps me asleep for 5 or 6 hours and when I fly I need 8 hours of sleep to work. Ambein is a bit dehydrating for me. I have had memory loss on Ambein (someones calls and I do not remember the call)Be sure a get 10m if you can (for either) an break it in half because the cost is the same and my airline insurance did not cover it. (figures)

#25 awesomeame

awesomeame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:33 AM

I take a little blue pill, Zopiclone, 7.5 mg. Actually I find I don't need a whole pill so it is about 3.7mg

i take this as well, also only 1/2 a pill per night ~3.7mg. been taking it now evvery night for about 3 months, it is just as effective now as it was when i first started. i also get up several times per night, and although extremely drowsy/dizzy i can still make it to the toilet! unsure if it's dairy/rice free though.

--matt

#26 us410s

us410s

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:56 PM

I have been taking lunesta 1 mg for a few months on and off. Before Lunesta I had problems falling asleep but once I am asleep I stay sleeping without problem. Lunesta helps me fall asleep but then I wake in about 6 hours. I am trying to figure out what next.

#27 us410s

us410s

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:10 PM

Don't take Lunesta. Bad Bad Bad.

Why is Lunesta Bad Bad Bad?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: