This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Ignorant Server Of The Day

floridanative

Laura Apprentice

The white/wheat thing is always the classic. It really goes to show how little people know about what goes into the food they eat.

I think my best in that category was when I asked about a dish described as having asian noodles. Thinking it was somewhat possible they'd be rice noodles, I asked if they had any wheat in them. Waiter goes off to check and comes back and confidently declares that they're "definitely not" wheat noodles. No, they're more like lo mein. Um, thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pixi

I ordered a meal @ Red Lobster and made sure it had no breading, etc, etc (explained everything).. and it came with salad. The salad had... croutons. Sigh.

I always get "well we dont have whole wheat bread here, so you're okay."

Or, "we have lots of pasta dishes you could try."

Or, "how about fish n' chips?"

Sigh.

steveindenver Contributor

The good thing in all of this, is all of these postings are not only providing us humor when we need it, but gives us the opportunity to teach restaurants. That's what we need to remember. I do feel bad for some reading some of these (the pancake batter girl - I feel for you!). I think the important thing to do as a follow up is to write a letter/notecard to the chef/manager either thanking them or a note about Celiac and what can be done next time. That stuff goes a long way.

kabowman Explorer

OK, I know this is a down on servers post because, hey, they can be very ignorant, and I have had a few...

Anyway, I went to a place that I haven't been back to in about a year because I always get a little sick, just some gas, not bad but it was the only place without a bar that one of our co-workers will go to that I can eat at so I went. I was going to flag the waitress down, let her know that I am a pain in the butt customer, and she goes, no problem, I remember your order, you want just guac with your burger without a bun again??????? She had my whole order down pat and I am sure I have only been to her once before.

Needless to say, she got another big fat tip!!!!!!!

kimjoy24 Apprentice
I had a really dumb surver this afternoon. I went to lunch at a place that serves breakfast all day long. I ordered a veggie omlet without cheese and I explained my food limitations to the waitress. I went through everything like;no milk in the eggs, no toast, no seasonings, check for cc, and I gave her one of my triumph dining cards to show the chef. She assured me that it would be no problem to prepare a gluten-free meal and that she knew someone with celiac. Hearing that really releaved me, and when my food came, I ate in confidence. Well, after I was done with my omlet, she asked me how I liked it. I told her that it was one of the best omlets that I'd ever had.

-She replied, " I thought you'd like it because I had them make it special for you."

-Me, "You did, what did they do?".

-Stupid (smiling; very proud of herself), " Well, since you said that you didn't want milk or cheese used, I thought that the omlet would fall apart, so I had them mix pancake batter into the eggs to make it better."

-Me (In utter disbelief), "You did what???!!!! I told you that I can't have that stuff!!!!! Didn't you show the chef my card???"

-O Brilliant One (talking to me as if I were a two year old), "Sweetie, I didn't have to show him the card because we don't make wheat pancakes here; only white ones, and those won't make you sick because they're just made out of flour, eggs, and water, so you'll be just fine."

Well, I haven't been fine since about 30 minutes after finishing. I ate a HUGE omlet filled with gluten. I was so upset at the restaurant that I started crying. The manager apoligized to me, took care of our tab, and he gave the waitress a lecture about listening to what a customer says and if they tell you to give something to the chef, do it. He then decided to tell all of the servers that if any customer says that they have a food allergy or intolerance, they must have the chef come out and talk to the person to verify what can be used. I was really pleased with how the manager handled things because he was really on top of the situation. I kind of felt bad for my server because she really was trying to be nice and I know that she felt bad about what she did, but she should have listened to what I told her to do.

Right now, I'm in horrible pain. The worst I've ever felt. I've also developed a new symptom; muscle cramps, which are absolutely horrible. My legs do not want to work :(:(

That is so awful! This is actually one of my greatest fears when dining out...either the kitchen is going to innocently slip in an ingredient they think is gluten-free that isn't, and not tell me, or the server is going to rush over to the table after I'm halfway through the dish and say, "Ooops, we gave you the wrong one. That one isn't gluten-free!"

I hope you are feeling better. I guess the only positive point of your story is the manager's proactive reaction, though I'm sure that was of little consolation when you were doubled over with pain.

MallysMama Explorer

Ignorant manager of the day!!

I was working a lunch shift, at Outback, on Saturday...and the manager was having everyone try the new dishes that were being added to the menu (which are not listed on the "old" gluten-free menu). I insisted that I wasn't interested in trying the new dish (corn cakes, chicken and shrimp covered in a "wasabi" sauce). He showed me the ingredient list for the corn cakes and insisted that I was fine eating it...and he said he checked the ingredients in the sauce and said it was fine too. So - I ate a nice sized bite (yummy, by the way!). He asked like 2 minutes later if I was feeling okay! haha! I said it takes more time than that for it to register. Well, a while goes by and my stomach is starting to feel kinda queasy. And I'm just figuring that it's all in my head - because I was assured that everything was fine. It was such a slow day at work and I was dying to go home - so I thought I'm just imagining the discomfort because I'd love to get out of here! It starts to get a little worse.... ugh! Now I know I'm not imagining the pain. I happened to over-hear someone saying something about soy sauce (have no idea what they were talking about - those are the only words I heard). So - it dawns on me that maybe there's soy sauce in the wasabi stuff... which of course my manager wouldn't think of wheat being in that ingredient. So, I ask him about it. And he's like "You're allergic to Soy too!?" And I told him that "No, but there's hardly any soy sauces that don't contain wheat - so chances are the soy sauce in the wasabi sauce has plenty of it!" *Smacks forehead* I wish I had insisted on seeing the ingredients for the sauce as well as the corn cakes!! So - I guess this is an Ignorant ME story! Thank goodness I only ate one bite - and only payed for it "a little bit" compared to what it could have done!

nettiebeads Apprentice
Ignorant manager of the day!

don't you get tired of them telling us what we can have or not when WE KNOW what's bad for us and what isn't? And implying we're crazy or at least hypochondriac when in fact it's their ignorance that can really hurt us! Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Annette

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Ignorant manager of the day!!

I was working a lunch shift, at Outback, on Saturday...and the manager was having everyone try the new dishes that were being added to the menu (which are not listed on the "old" gluten-free menu). I insisted that I wasn't interested in trying the new dish (corn cakes, chicken and shrimp covered in a "wasabi" sauce). He showed me the ingredient list for the corn cakes and insisted that I was fine eating it...and he said he checked the ingredients in the sauce and said it was fine too. So - I ate a nice sized bite (yummy, by the way!). He asked like 2 minutes later if I was feeling okay! haha! I said it takes more time than that for it to register. Well, a while goes by and my stomach is starting to feel kinda queasy. And I'm just figuring that it's all in my head - because I was assured that everything was fine. It was such a slow day at work and I was dying to go home - so I thought I'm just imagining the discomfort because I'd love to get out of here! It starts to get a little worse.... ugh! Now I know I'm not imagining the pain. I happened to over-hear someone saying something about soy sauce (have no idea what they were talking about - those are the only words I heard). So - it dawns on me that maybe there's soy sauce in the wasabi stuff... which of course my manager wouldn't think of wheat being in that ingredient. So, I ask him about it. And he's like "You're allergic to Soy too!?" And I told him that "No, but there's hardly any soy sauces that don't contain wheat - so chances are the soy sauce in the wasabi sauce has plenty of it!" *Smacks forehead* I wish I had insisted on seeing the ingredients for the sauce as well as the corn cakes!! So - I guess this is an Ignorant ME story! Thank goodness I only ate one bite - and only payed for it "a little bit" compared to what it could have done!

He better not b--ch at you when you call in sick today! I hope you don't have too many troubles due to this idiot. Even that little bit would leave me feeling awful for at least 2 weeks.

MallysMama Explorer
:) Thanks for your concern! I was feeling better the next day. My symptoms (if any) don't last very long. My manager (boss) is actually a really good guy - just had a stupid moment at the time. I'm using this for my benefit though!! Almost everyone will have to work on Mother's Day. There are many reasons why I am not able to work that day - but he doesn't seem to find those reasons "valid" (or he's just joking around....and likes to cause me stress when he plans on letting me have the day off?). So - yesterday I told him that I'd make a deal with him - he'd give me Mother's Day off, and I won't hold it against him forever that he made me sick last Saturday!! :D *Shrugs* We'll see what happens!
mmaccartney Explorer
I -Stupid (smiling; very proud of herself), " Well, since you said that you didn't want milk or cheese used, I thought that the omlet would fall apart, so I had them mix pancake batter into the eggs to make it better."

-Me (In utter disbelief), "You did what???!!!! I told you that I can't have that stuff!!!!! Didn't you show the chef my card???"

--Danielle

OMG!!! Sounds like one of my nightmares!!

I'm not a violent person, but I would have been taken out by the police after I punched that idiot in the face several times!!!!

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator
The white/wheat thing is always the classic. It really goes to show how little people know about what goes into the food they eat.

I think my best in that category was when I asked about a dish described as having asian noodles. Thinking it was somewhat possible they'd be rice noodles, I asked if they had any wheat in them. Waiter goes off to check and comes back and confidently declares that they're "definitely not" wheat noodles. No, they're more like lo mein. Um, thanks.

I have to admit...before I had Celiac, I didn't think white bread had wheat in it...

jkmunchkin Rising Star
OK, I know this is a down on servers post because, hey, they can be very ignorant, and I have had a few...

Anyway, I went to a place that I haven't been back to in about a year because I always get a little sick, just some gas, not bad but it was the only place without a bar that one of our co-workers will go to that I can eat at so I went. I was going to flag the waitress down, let her know that I am a pain in the butt customer, and she goes, no problem, I remember your order, you want just guac with your burger without a bun again??????? She had my whole order down pat and I am sure I have only been to her once before.

Needless to say, she got another big fat tip!!!!!!!

OMG I totally had an experience like that at a deli my by CT office. I only come to this office once a week and one day had gone to some random deli in Wilton, ordered a lettuce wrap sandwich, told him to please make it on a paper so it doesn't touch the counter, don't cut it in half, etc. I went back a couple months later and was completely floored when the guy remembered me!!!

LKelly8 Rookie

My mother and I (both celiac) were in a Chinese restaurant. She asked the waiter if the sauce had any wheat in it, he hesitantly mumbled "No, no". Assuming there might be some lauguage barrier she tried to clarify and asked if they thicken the sauce with flour. He looked at her astonished and exclaimed, "We no use flowers in sauce!"

Guest mvaught

I usually have good experiences at Chilis and know what I can order. However, one time I ordered a side salad with my meal and after explaining that I can't have dairy or anything with gluten, etc. I got my salad with both crutons and cheese.

Also, no matter the fact I explain that I have dairy and gluten allergies...servers don't understand that butter is dairy...they think that I just don't want any sort of oil. I ordered grilled fish on several occasions at various places and request no butter - they say, "well, they have to grill it in a little something." I have to ensure that oil is fine - as much oil as they want to put, but butter is dairy too.

Frustrating.

elonwy Enthusiast

I get the exact opposite, where they refuse to put butter or anything on my food after I explain the gluten thing. I'm ok with dairy, so I'd rather have it, and get kind of irked when they come out an explain that they made sure there was no butter in my food. At no point do I even bring dairy or butter up! I usually don't fight it though.

<sigh>

Elonwy

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
I have to admit...before I had Celiac, I didn't think white bread had wheat in it...

Can't say I blame you--pretty much tastes like sawdust, doesn't it? ;)

kabowman Explorer

My Chili's servers suggest you tell them what you want ON your salad, not what you want left OFF - however, every time I go in, I tell them what I want left OFF and they ask, so you just want...?

Guest mvaught

Elonwy- maybe we need to trade restaurants - lol. the fates are making it hard on us.

well, seems like a lot of people have had the "we don't use wheat" not realizing that flour is wheat. i had the same experience tonight at a mexican restaurant - i told the waitress, that" i can't have wheat, you know, flour." and she said, we don't use wheat - but there is flour. then, of course i had to ask for no butter which she said she could note. i asked if the chips were in a fryer that was just chips and she came back and said "there is no flour in anything" (assuming she meant the stuff i was eathing and ordering). well, i don't know what did it - the chips, the fish i ordered, rice, black beans or plantains - but something was contaminated and i was immediately sick - i wanted to talk to the manager about it (because the server said she had talked to the manager to confirm) but i felt so bad that we just left the place - happy cinco for me - um, no.

• 2 weeks later...
deeshie10 Newbie

Ok I know this post hasn't been touched in a while, but I just have to add my stupid server story...

This happened a while ago at my local Chevy's restaurant, maybe the 2nd time I'd been there since being diagnosed last June. Rather than explain the gluten issue, I just told the server I was allergic to wheat when asking about the food... he looked at me funny and said "You're allergic to weed?!" then started laughing at what he thought I had said... So I told him nooo, I'm allergic to WHEAT. So he said, that's ok, we don't serve bread here...!

Had to share that one...

Miss Samantha Newbie

we were in a small little market that carries a lot of different beers (we had just moved to town) and my boyfriend was being nice and asked the guy if they carried "new grist GLUTEN FREE beer" the fella behind the counter said "uh sir, all beer is vegan..."

ha. um. yeah...

• 4 weeks later...
floridanative Community Regular

I finally have an ignorant story of my own to share. After months of no Mexican food (out) I decided that I was sure I could have the taco salad (not in shell) if nothing else so off we went for dinner. Mostly I wanted a margarita but anyway, I had the mexican food gluten-free dining card and showed it to the server. Then I told her I wanted the # whatever with enchiladas but I needed to make sure the sauce (and everything) was okay so she should take the card back to the kitchen and ask. I was very nice, not pushy but she insisted everything was okay so then I had to insist (since I assumed she was not a server AND the chef) that she take the card back to the kitchen and ask about the sauce (and everything else). So she did and sure enough she returns and informs me I can NOT have the sauce. She later brings me my meal, not only was there no sauce, the rice was tasteless...guess they put the sauce in the rice too... I was happy that I did not get sick but it was surely the most boring Mexican meal I've ever had. So now if I want to eat there it will be a taco salad without the shell since everything else there is off limits. Now I've got to go start dinner for tonight - Mexican food with enchilda sauce I can have but sadly I will not be having a margarita - lol!

skbird Contributor
This happened a while ago at my local Chevy's restaurant, maybe the 2nd time I'd been there since being diagnosed last June. Rather than explain the gluten issue, I just told the server I was allergic to wheat when asking about the food... he looked at me funny and said "You're allergic to weed?!" then started laughing at what he thought I had said... So I told him nooo, I'm allergic to WHEAT. So he said, that's ok, we don't serve bread here...!

This makes me think of my story - I was at a music fest and this guy had a stand with all these different flavors of dipped ice cream bars in dark or light chocolate. I'm a chocoholic so I wanted dark chocolate ice cream dipped in dark chocolate but asked first if the ice cream had any wheat in it. "You want to know if the ice cream has any MEAT in it???" the guy asks me, incredulous. I had a great laugh at that one...

we were in a small little market that carries a lot of different beers (we had just moved to town) and my boyfriend was being nice and asked the guy if they carried "new grist GLUTEN FREE beer" the fella behind the counter said "uh sir, all beer is vegan..."

ha. um. yeah...

That's a good one, but isn't beer technically not vegan as it has yeast in it? I have a vegan friend who won't drink beer - that's fine with me as I don't drink it either. We can bond over something in our diet! :)

Stephanie

Nancym Enthusiast

No offense to any hispanics reading this but... I have terrible luck communicating about "wheat" with folks from South of the US border. At Jack-in-the-box I drew blank stares when I said I had a wheat allergy. One person asked, "what is wheat?". I said, "It's the stuff they make flour out of, and bread". Still got an utterly blank look. They looked at me as if I had tentacles sprouting from my head.

Maybe it is just young people not knowing basic things, like what food is made from. Seems like I knew that by the time I left grade school....

Mango04 Enthusiast
No offense to any hispanics reading this but... I have terrible luck communicating about "wheat" with folks from South of the US border. At Jack-in-the-box I drew blank stares when I said I had a wheat allergy. One person asked, "what is wheat?". I said, "It's the stuff they make flour out of, and bread". Still got an utterly blank look. They looked at me as if I had tentacles sprouting from my head.

Maybe it is just young people not knowing basic things, like what food is made from. Seems like I knew that by the time I left grade school....

That probably also has something to do with the fact that authentic Mexican food does not use any wheat. The primary grain is corn.

eKatherine Rookie

I had an awful time explaining it to a Cuban chat buddy, in Spanish, of course.

"I can't eat wheat"

"OK"

"I can't eat wheat flour"

"OK"

"I can't eat bread or pizza or pasta..."

"OMG!!!"

Archived