5 replies to this topic

#1 foxyfire24

foxyfire24

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 04:39 AM

Anyone know of any good coolers besides rum based ones to drink on a hot and sunny day. For some reason I thought we could only have rum but now im being told that some vodka is okay!?
Danielle(Ontario CAN)[font=Comic Sans Ms][size=3]

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 hapi2bgf

hapi2bgf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 07:31 AM

My drink is a vodka and cranberry (Cape Cod). I drink Smrinoff, but I belive Grey Goose and other vodkas are ok. You'll have to check the brands. I was told by Absolute that the Absolute Vodkas are not a good choice for celiacs.

If you want a non-alcoholic drink, smoothies are great. Buy frozen strawberries, peaches, and blueberries. Add some of all in the blender and add Apple juice. Puree until it's a good texture. It's good like that, but I add sugar when it's done. I like it super sweet.

#3 Guest_Libbyk_*

Guest_Libbyk_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2004 - 11:19 AM

is gin ok? I miss those lime filled gin and tonics in the summer...

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 12:40 PM

I was going to stay out of this one but...

According to a number of researchers, the U.S. and Canadian dietician associations, and a number of distilleries, the distilling proces for liquor and vinegar takes out the gluten or gliaden, rendering anything distilled safe as long as gluten isn't added back in after distilling (I haven't found this to be a problem).

As for gin, I know that the company that either makes or distibutes them lists Booths, Gordon, and Popov as gluten-free. And it's my understanding they do not come from a gluten grain.

#5 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 09:35 AM

I've been drinking Sky Vodka as I saw it on a "safe list" and have had no ill reactions. I also contacted Glenffidich and Famous Grouse scotch distilleries and was informed that they were distilled 3 or more times and all traces of glutin were removed. I have been drinking the Famous Grouse and have had no reactions at all. I am very sensitive too. The wisest thing to do is check with the manufacturer before you choose anything. I have heard that liquors (after dinner drinks) are not safe for us. Don't quite know why but they give me a headache anyhow! ;)
Terri
Northern Virginia

gluten-free since March 27, 2004

#6 Kim

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:04 PM

Lovegrov,
My understanding is the exact same as yours.
Elsewhere on this site, people are still arguing about vinegar.

Kim.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: