9 replies to this topic

#1 Gorlo77

Gorlo77

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:03 AM

I contacted the swedish fish company and they told me they were gluten free.. then i emailed back and asked about the artificial flavors and they said they do not contain wheat but they can't guarantee that they dont contain other sources of gluten such as barley, rye, .....SO Does anyone with gluten intolerance/celiac disease eat swedish fish? Do they affect you or are they safe?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Rusla

Rusla

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:43 AM

I contacted the swedish fish company and they told me they were gluten free.. then i emailed back and asked about the artificial flavors and they said they do not contain wheat but they can't guarantee that they dont contain other sources of gluten such as barley, rye, .....SO Does anyone with gluten intolerance/celiac disease eat swedish fish? Do they affect you or are they safe?

I am sorry but I really don't know what Swedish fish are, I have never heard of them.
Are they a canned fish or are they a cracker?
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#3 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:50 AM

They're like a gummy bear but they're shaped like fish, i've never had them, so i don't know.
Molly

#4 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:21 AM

I eat Sour Patch Kids (basically kid-shaped sour coated swedish fish) by the same company without any problems. I read somewhere that they are gluten-free. Most gummy things are.
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#5 mmaccartney

mmaccartney

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:23 AM

I eat Swedish Fish all the time, haven't YET had a reaction to it, and I am a sensitive one!

They didn't tell me about the ingredients issue, but it sounds like a CYA statement to me. What company can guarantee their ingredients sourced from vendors 100%??????
Michael J. MacCartney

gluten-free 2005-June-24 Dairy free 2005-July-26
gluten / casein intolerant
HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,7)
Diagnosed Celiac 2006-April-24

Father of:
Michael II HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,6) - Allergic to Peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, and milk
William HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5) - Allergy free

#6 Becky6

Becky6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:47 AM

My daughter and I eat them all the time with no problems. And she gets D if she gets a crumb of gluten!

#7 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:58 AM

I have had the sweedish berries, gummie bears, cherry blasters, and fuzzy peaches with no problems. I hope that they didn't change their ingredients!
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#8 daniellep86

daniellep86

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:19 PM

Thank God I found this website. I've only been gluten free for 3 days and already I'm going crazy. After 23 years of being able to eat whatever I want a restriction on my "sweet tooth" is about to drive me nuts. I'm going to the store to get my Swedish Fish asap!

#9 StacyA

StacyA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:47 PM

I eat sour patch kids all the time as well - same company - no problems.

#10 emsimm

emsimm

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:21 AM

Swedish Fish are the only conventional candy I will allow myself to eat since discovering my Celiacs (and going Soy Free - I have a definite intolerance). I am also a Vegetarian, so the fact that they do not use gelatin in Swedish Fish is very important to me. I have never been affected by eating Swedish Fish, so for my system at least, which is hyper-sensitive to trace amounts, I believe that they are 'safe'! The company that makes Swedish Fish also makes a Sea Life mix that has different flavors (lemon, lime, etc) and I have had those candies and did not suffer any after-effects.

If you are looking for other candies to eat when you have a craving, Whole Foods has been selling gummy oranges, stars, and a couple of other items in their Bakery section lately. The stars are gelatin, soy, and wheat/gluten free! The ingredients are listed right on the label, so they may or may not be individually safe. I am inclined not to eat them if they come out of a gluten-filled bakery and are not in a bag (they keep them in big apothecary jars), but that's just me. Maybe I'll give it a go!

Best,
Emily Simmons
Philadelphia, PA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: