Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Swedish Fish?

10 posts in this topic

I contacted the swedish fish company and they told me they were gluten free.. then i emailed back and asked about the artificial flavors and they said they do not contain wheat but they can't guarantee that they dont contain other sources of gluten such as barley, rye, .....SO Does anyone with gluten intolerance/celiac disease eat swedish fish? Do they affect you or are they safe?

Ads by Google:
I contacted the swedish fish company and they told me they were gluten free.. then i emailed back and asked about the artificial flavors and they said they do not contain wheat but they can't guarantee that they dont contain other sources of gluten such as barley, rye, .....SO Does anyone with gluten intolerance/celiac disease eat swedish fish? Do they affect you or are they safe?

I am sorry but I really don't know what Swedish fish are, I have never heard of them.

Are they a canned fish or are they a cracker?

They're like a gummy bear but they're shaped like fish, i've never had them, so i don't know.

I eat Sour Patch Kids (basically kid-shaped sour coated swedish fish) by the same company without any problems. I read somewhere that they are gluten-free. Most gummy things are.

I eat Swedish Fish all the time, haven't YET had a reaction to it, and I am a sensitive one!

They didn't tell me about the ingredients issue, but it sounds like a CYA statement to me. What company can guarantee their ingredients sourced from vendors 100%??????

My daughter and I eat them all the time with no problems. And she gets D if she gets a crumb of gluten!

I have had the sweedish berries, gummie bears, cherry blasters, and fuzzy peaches with no problems. I hope that they didn't change their ingredients!

Thank God I found this website. I've only been gluten free for 3 days and already I'm going crazy. After 23 years of being able to eat whatever I want a restriction on my "sweet tooth" is about to drive me nuts. I'm going to the store to get my Swedish Fish asap!

I eat sour patch kids all the time as well - same company - no problems.

Swedish Fish are the only conventional candy I will allow myself to eat since discovering my Celiacs (and going Soy Free - I have a definite intolerance). I am also a Vegetarian, so the fact that they do not use gelatin in Swedish Fish is very important to me. I have never been affected by eating Swedish Fish, so for my system at least, which is hyper-sensitive to trace amounts, I believe that they are 'safe'! The company that makes Swedish Fish also makes a Sea Life mix that has different flavors (lemon, lime, etc) and I have had those candies and did not suffer any after-effects.

If you are looking for other candies to eat when you have a craving, Whole Foods has been selling gummy oranges, stars, and a couple of other items in their Bakery section lately. The stars are gelatin, soy, and wheat/gluten free! The ingredients are listed right on the label, so they may or may not be individually safe. I am inclined not to eat them if they come out of a gluten-filled bakery and are not in a bag (they keep them in big apothecary jars), but that's just me. Maybe I'll give it a go!

Best,

Emily Simmons

Philadelphia, PA