This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Could This Be Celiac Disease?

thezoo17

thezoo17 Apprentice

Hello,

I have been reading thru alot of the post at this site and I am finding alot of things in common with alot of you and I am wondering if maybe someone can help shed some light on this for me.

I have not be DX'd with Celiac disease. I have fibromyalgia like a few folks here.

I am currently seeing a Holistic dr.

Back in 94 I was having alot of abdominal pain (been constipated most of my life) and gas so I had a cat scan done that showed nothing.

Then everything got better until around this past November. It started when I ate Chinese food, extreme internal gas. Then a few months later I had a salad and the same thing again.

I started seeing my Holistic dr again and he thinks I have food allergies, I had blood test today to find out, but it takes 10 days for the results.

Currently I am having extreme abdominal pain, intestinal gas that is trapped ( I even feel it in my buttocks and hips). My colon and stomach sound like fireworks are going off. I get nausea, low grade fever, chills, hot sweats, dizzy. my taste is off to, when I drink a soda it taste funny. I can not seem to pin point anything specific that I eat.

Does these symptoms sound like Celiac disease?

Thanks for any input you can give.

Thanks, Joyce

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Joyce:

Celiac is alway a possibility. Your symptoms of gurgeling, gas, abdonimal pain are all symptions of Celiac. Celiac carries about 200 symptoms and not all of us have the same although many are similar.

If you choose not to be tested, I would recommend that you try being gluten free for about a month and see if you symptoms deminish. As well, if you do choose to be tested, do not go gluten free as it will sque the results.

Celiac Disease can be very serious if not diagnosed and corrected by diet. It has taken me eight months to feel better and to be able to leave my home for a week-end.

Do you have any bowl issues? That is for sure a Celiac issue. (we talk about poop all the time here, so don't feel shy).

Fill us in a little bit more. There are really good experts here to help.

Let us know.

Lisa

mamaw Community Regular

It could be anything including celiac's... Have you had your gallbladder checked out yet?????Blockages can also play havoc on your sysytem.....

I would go on the celiac diet for a few months to see if it clears up any but it will take some time as everyone don't get immediate improvement right away......

mamaw

thezoo17 Apprentice
Joyce:

Celiac is alway a possibility. Your symptoms of gurgeling, gas, abdonimal pain are all symptions of Celiac. Celiac carries about 200 symptoms and not all of us have the same although many are similar.

If you choose not to be tested, I would recommend that you try being gluten free for about a month and see if you symptoms deminish. As well, if you do choose to be tested, do not go gluten free as it will sque the results.

Celiac Disease can be very serious if not diagnosed and corrected by diet. It has taken me eight months to feel better and to be able to leave my home for a week-end.

Do you have any bowl issues? That is for sure a Celiac issue. (we talk about poop all the time here, so don't feel shy).

Fill us in a little bit more. There are really good experts here to help.

Let us know.

Lisa

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Based on your symptoms, I would suggest getting tested for celiac disease. If you decide to get tested, here is a list of tests to ask for:

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG

Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA

Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA

Total Serum IgA

Also, don't start the gluten-free until after testing. You can get false negative results if you start the gluten-free diet before testing.

thezoo17 Apprentice

Lisa and all that responding,

THanks for responding!

I just wrote a whole post and lost it so I will try again.

This all started back in 94, I had extreme intestinal trapped gas and pain so I went an had a Cat scan and nothing showed up. Well, it all went away until this past November and I had turkey dinner and all the fixin's and I got a bad tummy ache, bloating and gas. This went away in a few hours. Then about 3 months ago I ate a salad with the fixin's and got the same symptoms but this went away to. Then a 2 months ago all of the symptoms came back and havent left.

I am always constipated. I usually only have a regular BM for 2 days before my periods come. Then after that I have to use something to go.

This feels like the food I am eating is just backing up and making me sick. When I start to get the extreme gas pains, nausea, chills and flu like feeling I take a Zelnorm or Lactulose to make me have a BM but the BM are really nasty, yellowish-orange, floating, greasy & foamy looking, flecks, just plain gross smelling too. And this lasts for weeks.

But in the past two months 2 days before my period I felt fine and regular BM both days and then after my period started is when it all started again..

It seems like once I get out of the yuck that is trapped I start to feel better but then as the days go on and I eat it all starts again.

Even my taste is off. Not metallic but just doesnt taste right.

I am not sure what has Gluten in or not but this is what I have eaten in the last week: Pizza, Peanut Butter and cheese crackers, doritos, dr. pepper, hamburger, chinese food, ham & eggs.

My dear hubby thinks I am allergic to peanuts.

Are these IGA test blood test? Are they normally ran on a complete blood work test? I will ask my holistic dr about these.

Thanks again for helping me.....Between the Fibromyalgia and this I dont think I will make it..............

PS.. My B12 levels are also low 208 (normal 200-1100)

Lisa Mentor

I'm going to flip back and forth to you post...........what you have eaten, which has gluten in.....pizza, hamburger with bun, ham, possible, crackers..

Unless you do not want to be tested, try:

Breakfast:

Eggs, Oscar Myer Bacon, Hillshire Farms Sausage, Yoplait Yogurt

Lunch:

Quaker Oats Rice Cakes, Peanut Butter with Smuckers Jam

Corn Totti. with Hillshire Farm Deli Meats with Kraft Cheese. (alway read the label)

Dinner: endless (go the the recipe forun here)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

thezoo17 Apprentice
I'm going to flip back and forth to you post...........what you have eaten, which has gluten in.....pizza, hamburger with bun, ham, possible, crackers..

Unless you do not want to be tested, try:

Breakfast:

Eggs, Oscar Myer Bacon, Hillshire Farms Sausage, Yoplait Yogurt

Lunch:

Quaker Oats Rice Cakes, Peanut Butter with Smuckers Jam

Corn Totti. with Hillshire Farm Deli Meats with Kraft Cheese. (alway read the label)

Dinner: endless (go the the recipe forun here)

Lisa, I am not sure how these forums work, I just hope you see this message.

I am not sure what you are meaning by flipping back & forth.

Does my symptoms sound like Celiac disease? I will print out the foods to eat and start tomorrow and see if that makes a difference. Also, I do not mind being tested but I am not sure what to ask for, blood test? I think my holistic dr will test for it. I see him in two weeks.

Do I need to have a endoscopy done to test for Celiac disease?

Thanks again!!!!!!

Joyce

mouse Enthusiast

It sounds to me that you might possibly have Celiac because of the smelly, floating, etc. stools. Go back up to Carriefaith's posting on this thread. She lists the test that you should have your doctor do. If you are going to be tested, then DO NOT go gluten free as it can mess up the results. You can get a false negative, but not a false positive.

thezoo17 Apprentice
It sounds to me that you might possibly have Celiac because of the smelly, floating, etc. stools. Go back up to Carriefaith's posting on this thread. She lists the test that you should have your doctor do. If you are going to be tested, then DO NOT go gluten free as it can mess up the results. You can get a false negative, but not a false positive.

Thanks Armetta,

I already copied them. Are these blood test? Do you know if your taste being off is a symptom?

Also, shreds and flecks in your BM. The color of my BM really scares me, is that a symptom?

My mom is going thru stage 4 Ovarian cancer and I am being extremely nervous that something seriously is wrong with me....

I will call my holistic dr and ask him about getting tested for these test asap....I take it these test are different than food allergy testing..

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me!

Joyce

mouse Enthusiast

These are blood tests. But, because of the color of your stools, I think you should ALSO (in addition to the Celiac ones) ask to have the liver blood test done. Yes, these tests are not allergy testing. And yes, the stools can have shreds and specks in them. Please keep us informed. HUGS.

Babs83 Rookie

Hello, I've been reading the board for quite sometime, but have never really posted before. My brother was dianosed with celiac about 18 years ago. At that time they thought he had AIDS, he was losing weight and really bad diarreia. They didn't say anything about getting siblings tested. About 13 years ago after I had my last baby I started getting headaches. I get them now monthly, sometimes weekly. I did the blood tests and they came back negitive so I just went on the diet and I'm beginning to feel really good.

My problem now is my two daughters, one is 16 and the other 13. They have been getting headaches. I had the 16 year old's pediatrician do the blood tests and they came back yesterday - negative. I really want to know for sure if she has celiac, because without the diagnosis people think you are nuts! Should I have the biopsy done?

Thanks

Barb

Nancym Enthusiast
My problem now is my two daughters, one is 16 and the other 13. They have been getting headaches. I had the 16 year old's pediatrician do the blood tests and they came back yesterday - negative. I really want to know for sure if she has celiac, because without the diagnosis people think you are nuts! Should I have the biopsy done?

What if you get a false negative from the biopsy? It happens frequently.

Who cares what people think! This is your daughter's health, not theirs.

Archived