This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sitting In My Office With Gas!

erin24

erin24 Explorer

Since there is not shame on this message board I will go ahead and share my REALLY embrassing story...

I was sitting in my office today when after lunch I got really bad gas. :huh:

I couldn't help it and I couldn't stop it. I didn't know what to do. If i let it out, I smell up my office and get really embrassed if anyone came in. If i hold it in I...well, we all know that it isn't fun to hold it in. I couldn't get up and run to the bathroom b/c I would have to get up every 30 seconds. So, I decided to just turn my fan on and hope for the best and spray a little desk cleaner in the air. Luckliy, there weren't many people in the office today so no one came in my office.

Anyway, just wanted to share a REALLY embrassing story but I am sure we've had them all. Or, I just weird and even weired that I wanted to share this with strangers on the internet. :D Thanks for listening though.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Oh Erin--We can relate :ph34r: . When I saw your topic, I had to laugh because I know exactly how you felt. One time I got up to go into the bathroom to "relieve"it, and it happened anyway as I was walking--I had held it in so long, I couldn't control it. One of the many joys of being a Celiac ;)

cgilsing Enthusiast

Oh yeah....I think we all know how you feel! (unfortunatly.......or maybe its unfortuante for our co-workers :lol:) At least you were lucky enough to have a day when most were out of the office! You know I've often wondered if other wives are as open with their husbands as I am with mine. I've come home dropped my stuff and exclaimed ""I had SUCH a bad day! I had gas all day long!!" Then I have proceded to show him how bloated I STILL am.... Something tells me that we are probably the only people in town having that conversation! :rolleyes:

Mo92109 Apprentice

I could just say ditto. I have a cubicle too!! I try and ruffle papers and turn on my fan. Oh and my pants are unbuttoned too because I am bloated so I look cool as well as smell cool.

Gee, aren't we all lucky!! :lol:

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

I have two bottles of "Oust" in my desk..

penguin Community Regular

I have an oust mini that I keep in my purse. I found it at the checkout at Target, a lifesaver!

I even put a can of air freshener in the bathroom. Someone had already beat me to it with a glade plug-in, and I think it's there because of me :unsure:

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I am sorry.. I had to giggle a bit when I read this topic. I no longer work, I am a stay at home mommy. When I was at work, before I was dx that happened all the time to me! I thought I was the only woman in the world it happened to! I worked for Wegmans, so you can imagine my alone time to "relieve" my pain! I was in constant contact with the public and other employees. It was hard to find alone time in the bathroom too.

Needless to say, I can so sympathize. The Oust is a great idea though.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

erin24 Explorer

I am glad everyone was able to relate and get a giggle out of it, I posted it b/c hoping people would relate and get a good laugh. :)

cgilsing - I am the exact same way with my husband. When I get really bloated I make him look at it and agree with me about 5 times just how much my stomach sticks out :D It's all good though b/c he still loves me, my bloated belly, and gas. Hope yours does too.

Good idea about the oust...the desk cleaner just wasn't strong enough today.

elonwy Enthusiast

Ahh. I'm just glad my office is directly next to the womens room and down the hall from everyone else. It's also really small, so when people come up I get up and talk to them in the hall so they can't tell I've been farting non stop for the last hour. I hate air fresheners, but I have a scented candle and a little spritz bottle of perfume that I use to clear the air.

My boyfriend calls it "pooky belly" when I get bloated and he's awesome about it and very sympathetic to me being in pain and also when I need to just rest cause I can't deal with anything else. I'm very understanding about his creative "moods' (hes a writer and an artist) and he's understanding about my gas. We have a standing joke where we blame it on the cats. The worst however is when I offend the cat.

We have one cat that chews on the carpet for some random reason, and it makes her poo pretty stinky. I laugh at her and say she's "carpet intolerant" because it'll reek so bad she runs out of the bathroom with a scared look on her face when she's done. Then I know I need to go light the candle.

Ahhhh the joys of life.

Elonwy

Rusla Enthusiast

Where I work, we are all in one room with just little portable walls that are 6 ft high. So, I constantly live in fear that one will jump out and smell up the place.

amybeth Enthusiast

LOL!!!

Try teaching in a room full of seventh graders all day!!! I admit, sometimes I just let them go and watch the kids wonder who smelled up the place :lol: ...Worst part? My classroom doesn't even have a window for ventilation!!!!

Unfortunately in this field "free time" to leisurely go to the restroom is at a premium.....If I can make it through the halls and to the opposite corner and back in three minutes or less, then I spare the poor kids, but most of the time that isn't an option.

Wonder if the kiddos have figured it out yet???

debmidge Rising Star

My husband's G was not smelly before his diagnosis; he always had it and passed it, but it was neutral. Now after going gluten-free it has an "aroma." I found that to be strange.

I am lactose intolerant and have IBS issues from time to time and when I was in cubicle days I learned that using "Static Guard" to mask the aroma of gas works too. I had pretended that I was Static guarding the chair wheels, the carpet, under the desk, etc. and Static Guard has a unique smell, it's pretty strong, so I think I may have done the trick. Although the day this happened the owner's son was just walking up to my cubicle to talk to me....

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Oh Erin--We can relate :ph34r: . When I saw your topic, I had to laugh because I know exactly how you felt. One time I got up to go into the bathroom to "relieve"it, and it happened anyway as I was walking--I had held it in so long, I couldn't control it. One of the many joys of being a Celiac ;)

I can definately identify with this one, step - fart - step - fart, we can be a very musical bunch :huh::rolleyes: . If they had a gas passing olympics celiacs would win.

The worst however is when I offend the cat.

Elonwy

I know, I love the dirty looks I get from my little dog. He gets such disgust on his face and will promptly leave the room. I've thought of keeping a video camera at the ready but even Americas Funniest Home Videos would most likely find it too gross.

kevsmom Contributor

You guys are not alone...I always have my fan on and my Oust in my desk drawer. My boss's office is right next to mine, and top level people are comming and going all of the time. People are always in and out of my office too. I am the person they come to to find out "Where is this", "How do I do that", "Can you fix my computer, or do I have to call I.T.", "Can you help me". So far I have been very lucky (or the people I work with have been lucky), that I have been able to get my Oust out before they come in! :lol:

Cindy

plantime Contributor

When my husband is around, I blame him. When he's not, I blame Socs. Fortunately, Socs' poop smells so bad, everyone believes it was him! He can foul up a litterbox so bad that only scooping it immediately ends the stench.

debmidge Rising Star

I know this sounds nuts, but when my husband has his bouts of this, I tell him I love him anyway. And inside I think of how I will miss this, yes miss this, if anything were ever to happen to him. So no complaints from me on this - he's free to gas away all he wants/needs. Because the day it ends, my heart will be broken.

jenvan Collaborator

Deb...that was sweet...

My dh doesn't have Celiac, so does that mean I can still yell at him for farting and burping?? :P

Erin--

That stinks girl (literally I guess!) I feel for you though!! I wish you would start improving... Did I write in my pm to you about looking for other food issues besides gluten--like dairy for starters? Can't remember!

MallysMama Explorer

Hahaha! It's so nice to read these posts and know that I'm not alone!! I never knew problems such as this were related to celiac - so it's good to finally know!

My hubby is worse than me - so that makes me feel better too! No cat for me to scare away - just my daughter! :o

jerseyangel Proficient
My husband's G was not smelly before his diagnosis; he always had it and passed it, but it was neutral. Now after going gluten-free it has an "aroma." I found that to be strange.

Deb--I have the same thing--and I find it strange, too. Now that I'm eating no gluten or anything else that bothers me, why now? I will never figure this whole thing out :blink: .

teankerbell Apprentice

I am right there with you!

:ph34r:

Canadian Karen Community Regular
II know, I love the dirty looks I get from my little dog. He gets such disgust on his face and will promptly leave the room. I've thought of keeping a video camera at the ready but even Americas Funniest Home Videos would most likely find it too gross.

:lol::lol::lol:

You know it smells bad when your dog has to leave the room!!!! (Been there, done that!)!

Actually, when I was at work, the whole office knew about my gas problem. :rolleyes:

I used to go into the boardroom after lunch, close the door, lay down on the floor, lay on one side, then the other, then my back, working the gas out of my system. The whole office knew not to enter! :lol:

Karen

plantime Contributor

Whenever I have gas bubbles stuck, I lie on my back, and use my fist to massage my abdomen, starting at the base of my stomach on the right, up the side, across the top, down the left, and back around. It usually works within minutes.

debmidge Rising Star

Forgive me if this appears that I am questionning your faithfullness to this diet as this is not my intention, but I just want to clarify my thinking : my husband is 100% gluten-free and has gassy problems, so what you are saying is that despite being 100% gluten-free you too get gassy moments here and there (?) (my husband asked me to ask this).

He's just making sure that he's not crazy....he has this notion that when you are 100% gluten-free you should not be getting gas, gas pains, etc. at all....

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Forgive me if this appears that I am questionning your faithfullness to this diet as this is not my intention, but I just want to clarify my thinking : my husband is 100% gluten-free and has gassy problems, so what you are saying is that despite being 100% gluten-free you too get gassy moments here and there (?) (my husband asked me to ask this).

He's just making sure that he's not crazy....he has this notion that when you are 100% gluten-free you should not be getting gas, gas pains, etc. at all....

He's not crazy, at least in my case. About the only time I have severe gas anymore or a rumbling tummy is when I accidentally injest something that has been crosscontaminated, or in my case if food has tomatoes or peppers (I am also nightshade intolerant, boy I miss my potatoes). I spent years carrying a jacket even in summer, for one thing to hide the sound of my tummy and also to wrap around my waist in the event I couldn't get to a restroom in time. I still always have a change of clothing available but haven't had to use them in a lonnnngggg time, thanks be.

erin24 Explorer

debmidge - Sorry, I did not clarify whether I was gluten-free or not. I am NOT gluten-free right now. I have an endo scheduled for thrusday so I decided to eat gluten for it (I was only gluten-free for 2 1/2 weeks before going back on gluten for the endo). I am sorry b/c I am sure that isn't what your husband wanted to hear but I am sure there are others out there that still have gas while gluten-free.

Jen - that is a good point about other intolerances, I guess I never really even thought about it. However, since I have been keeping a food journal I noticed that I got gas after eating some egg whites. I stopped eating eggs since I made that connection. However, since I am eating gluten I have noticed that things with gluten in them give me gas too. Either way the diet journal has been a big help and I am sure will help me narrow down the source of my pain. :)

Archived