Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Ham, Sausage And Salami; When Are They Gluten Free?

• Please log in to reply

15 replies to this topic

#1 Guinsell

Guinsell

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:09 PM

I've read that some hams, sausages and salamis are not gluten free. And, that lunch meats with natural and artificial flavors are more likely to have gluten.

Is the only way to really know to call the manufacturer? If there is ham at a picnic (not lunch meat, but from a butcher) or if there is polish sausage, are some things okay and others not?

Any advice would be welcome.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 amybeth

amybeth

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:43 PM

Dietz and Watson ham is okay.
I always ask them to wipe down the machine before they slice it, though, to avoid cc.
Amy

Gluten Free since 4/05 - adult onset
Symptoms for 4+ years prior
Immediate family tests negative
No Known family members w/ celiac disease

#3 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:24 PM

I'm assuming you are in the USA, but in Canada Freybe brand salami's, etc are Gluten-free Casein-free. I know that Hormel lists some of their gluten-free products on their website.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:32 PM

Salami is a type of sausage. Some, but certainly not all, sausages have wheat flour as a binder. Sausage is wrapped in a casing, and some casings contain wheat flour. You certainly need to check further. Ham is cured pork, and is much less likely to contain gluten. I can't say that all hams are gluten-free but most are. Common ingredients, all of which are gluten-free, are pork, water, salt, sugar and smoke.

Some manufacturers will clearly disclose gluten. These include Hormel, Oscar Mayer and Kraft, among many others.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:02 PM

My husband found gluten-free summer sausage at our Liquor Barn -- it's a chain, so I'm hoping that they have it in your area. Just to be on the safe side, I don't eat ANYTHING that isn't labeled Gluten-Free, and I also look for the "warning for cross-contamination in the factory" thing. If so, I typically don't buy that, either. Hope it helps . . . . Lynne
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#6 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:16 PM

Gluten Free Ham -- Most hams are gluten-free - just read the ingredients and call if you have an issue. I NEVER get deli sliced ham -- you are asking for trouble with cross contamination -- one eipe with a paper towel is not good enough for me. I always recommend Hormel's Cure 51 Ham -- best taste and always gluten-free -- really good for easter too (they sell Cure 51 Bone In hams -- just don't use the "glaze".

Sausage -- Most are gluten-free also -- again read the ingredients and call the company. Jimmy Dean Sausage is gluten-free. I also like Hormel's little sizzlers. Avoid Farmer John's products -- they have gluten (soy sauce)

Salamis -- I usually only eat Hebrew National Salami

#7 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:10 AM

For salami I know Boars Head or Hebrew National are gluten-free.

Sausage I use Premio

And ham I stick with Boar's Head.
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

#8 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:24 AM

At healthfood stores, meat companies like Applegate Farms and Wellshire Farms have an allergy key code on their packaging- "gluten-free" will be listed if it is gluten free. I know Applegate Farms carries hams, all kinds of varieties of poultry sausages, and traditional Italian items like salami, as well as a lot of other meat items.

#9 mauder

mauder

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:46 AM

At healthfood stores, meat companies like Applegate Farms and Wellshire Farms have an allergy key code on their packaging- "gluten-free" will be listed if it is gluten free. I know Applegate Farms carries hams, all kinds of varieties of poultry sausages, and traditional Italian items like salami, as well as a lot of other meat items.

Emeril has some sausages marked "gluten free" as well.

#10 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:54 AM

For suusage we use Aidells, they say on the front if it is gluten-free, but you do kind of have to look for it it is in small writing on the bottom of the front and should say no gluten. My favorite is maple and bacon, which i am eating right now.
Molly

#11 Tawnya

Tawnya

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 11:32 AM

I called Johnsonville, and they stated that all of their sausage products are gluten-free and contain no "fillers." I did not know at the time that some casings may have gluten, but these seem to be OK. If I accidentally eat something with gluten, I get very tired soon after, but I often have one of these for breakfast, with no ill effects.

#12 David

David

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:05 PM

Avoid Farmer John's products -- they have gluten (soy sauce)

Hi:

Just wanted to clarify something. Farmer John’s has a "Gluten-free Product List" on there website. (http://www.farmerjoh...b2-1ea2d0e872bf)

While some of their glazed hams are not gluten-free, many of their hams are gluten-free. Here’s a list of their gluten-free hams, as listed on their website:

Farmer John® Boneless Hams - Golden Tradition Premium Original Whole and Half, Golden Tradition Black Forest Premium Black Forest, Pee Wee Half, Golden Tradition Premium Tradition Brown Sugar and Honey, Golden Tradition, Flat Tavern Half, Canless Honey Ham, Farmer John® Bone In Hams - Premium Butt and Shank Portions, Premium Gold Wrap, Premium Sliced Ham Steaks, Premium Spiral Sliced, Premium Half, Premium Spiral Sliced Half, Whole
Farmer John® Ham Steaks - Original, Smoked, Maple, Clove, Pineapple & Mango

When a company is good enough to include an easily-accessible listing of all of there gluten-free products, I think it is important to accurately relay the facts to others and not tell someone to avoid a manufacturer's entire product line.

#13 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:12 PM

Agreed David, but please also bear in mind that the thread you commented on is over three years old and the information is very dated.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#14 Brrrandy

Brrrandy

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:50 AM

Just looked this up because I ate some kielbasa that I suspected had gluten. It did! I think most do, from what I can see.

But I also found out (thank God!) that many of Pillars salamis and meats are gluten free.

Here's their allergy information:
http://www.pillers.c...llergy-info.php

#15 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:11 AM

Just looked this up because I ate some kielbasa that I suspected had gluten. It did! I think most do, from what I can see.

But I also found out (thank God!) that many of Pillars salamis and meats are gluten free.

Here's their allergy information:
http://www.pillers.c...llergy-info.php

Please note that the info on this thread is very old. The info may not be accurate.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: