Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ham, Sausage And Salami; When Are They Gluten Free?

16 posts in this topic

I've read that some hams, sausages and salamis are not gluten free. And, that lunch meats with natural and artificial flavors are more likely to have gluten.

Is the only way to really know to call the manufacturer? If there is ham at a picnic (not lunch meat, but from a butcher) or if there is polish sausage, are some things okay and others not?

Any advice would be welcome.

Ads by Google:

Dietz and Watson ham is okay.

I always ask them to wipe down the machine before they slice it, though, to avoid cc.

I'm assuming you are in the USA, but in Canada Freybe brand salami's, etc are Gluten-free Casein-free. I know that Hormel lists some of their gluten-free products on their website.

Salami is a type of sausage. Some, but certainly not all, sausages have wheat flour as a binder. Sausage is wrapped in a casing, and some casings contain wheat flour. You certainly need to check further. Ham is cured pork, and is much less likely to contain gluten. I can't say that all hams are gluten-free but most are. Common ingredients, all of which are gluten-free, are pork, water, salt, sugar and smoke.

Some manufacturers will clearly disclose gluten. These include Hormel, Oscar Mayer and Kraft, among many others.

My husband found gluten-free summer sausage at our Liquor Barn -- it's a chain, so I'm hoping that they have it in your area. Just to be on the safe side, I don't eat ANYTHING that isn't labeled Gluten-Free, and I also look for the "warning for cross-contamination in the factory" thing. If so, I typically don't buy that, either. Hope it helps . . . . Lynne

Gluten Free Ham -- Most hams are gluten-free - just read the ingredients and call if you have an issue. I NEVER get deli sliced ham -- you are asking for trouble with cross contamination -- one eipe with a paper towel is not good enough for me. I always recommend Hormel's Cure 51 Ham -- best taste and always gluten-free -- really good for easter too (they sell Cure 51 Bone In hams -- just don't use the "glaze".

Sausage -- Most are gluten-free also -- again read the ingredients and call the company. Jimmy Dean Sausage is gluten-free. I also like Hormel's little sizzlers. Avoid Farmer John's products -- they have gluten (soy sauce)

Salamis -- I usually only eat Hebrew National Salami

For salami I know Boars Head or Hebrew National are gluten-free.

Sausage I use Premio

And ham I stick with Boar's Head.

At healthfood stores, meat companies like Applegate Farms and Wellshire Farms have an allergy key code on their packaging- "gluten-free" will be listed if it is gluten free. I know Applegate Farms carries hams, all kinds of varieties of poultry sausages, and traditional Italian items like salami, as well as a lot of other meat items.

At healthfood stores, meat companies like Applegate Farms and Wellshire Farms have an allergy key code on their packaging- "gluten-free" will be listed if it is gluten free. I know Applegate Farms carries hams, all kinds of varieties of poultry sausages, and traditional Italian items like salami, as well as a lot of other meat items.

Emeril has some sausages marked "gluten free" as well.

For suusage we use Aidells, they say on the front if it is gluten-free, but you do kind of have to look for it it is in small writing on the bottom of the front and should say no gluten. My favorite is maple and bacon, which i am eating right now.

I called Johnsonville, and they stated that all of their sausage products are gluten-free and contain no "fillers." I did not know at the time that some casings may have gluten, but these seem to be OK. If I accidentally eat something with gluten, I get very tired soon after, but I often have one of these for breakfast, with no ill effects.

Avoid Farmer John's products -- they have gluten (soy sauce)

Hi:

Just wanted to clarify something. Farmer John

Agreed David, but please also bear in mind that the thread you commented on is over three years old and the information is very dated.

Just looked this up because I ate some kielbasa that I suspected had gluten. It did! I think most do, from what I can see.

But I also found out (thank God!) that many of Pillars salamis and meats are gluten free.

Here's their allergy information:

http://www.pillers.com/pillers-allergy-info.php

Just looked this up because I ate some kielbasa that I suspected had gluten. It did! I think most do, from what I can see.

But I also found out (thank God!) that many of Pillars salamis and meats are gluten free.

Please note that the info on this thread is very old. The info may not be accurate.

Folks, this thread is VERY, VERY old. And in fact the vast majority of sausages of all types are gluten-free.

richard