5 replies to this topic

#1 ashlee's_mom

ashlee's_mom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 01:11 PM

Hi, I am still pretty new to this, so when I took my daughter to the doctor the other evening thinking she had Strep, I was wondering how I make sure the prescription meds don't contain gluten. Will the pharacist know, or will I still have to talk to the manufacturer, and then do you call the doctor and ask for a new prescription if it does and start all over? Luckily she didn't have anything but a virus, but it did make me aware that I should know how to do all this before it comes up for real! Has anyone run into problems with the common children's antibiotics, like Ammoxicilin? What about switching to generic when available? Thanks so much!

Michelle

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 01:47 PM

The way that I do things is to get the manufacter name , drug name, and strength from the pharmacy. I then go home and do a search on the net for a phone number to call. I call and talk to a pharmacist within the company. They will be able to tell you, or should be able to transfer you to a place within the company that does.

Do not expect your pharmacist to know the ingredients of every medication. That goes far beyond what they should have to do. Do the footwork on your own and it will be more reliable!!

I have had no problems getting answers from drug companies by using this method. Best wishes.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#3 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 05:47 AM

I disagree with Jessica in regards to what I expect my pharmacist to know. He has to know all of the drugs, their ingredients, and what reactions are possible. This is his job, knowing the product he dispenses. This is also where consumer loyalty and small business work best: I use the same small, local pharmacist for ALL of my prescription needs. (unless I have an emergency out of state). I have built a relationship with my pharmacist and his staff, and have repeatedly demonstrated patience and understanding with them. If I have a question, I ask it, then leave my phone number so they can look up the answer when they have time and call me. I always get an answer within 24 hours. I am in their database, and all of my intolerances are there, too, so the pharmacist is now able to catch gluten, egg, and soforth when he fills my scripts, instead of me having to come back and ask later. There is a measure of confidence, and it brings peace of mind over the meds I have to take. He has a reputation to uphold, and he does so by doing his job conscientiously. Just remember to use your best manners when dealing with your pharmacist.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#4 KellyR

KellyR

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 07:27 AM

Does anyone know which antibiotics for children do contain gluten?

#5 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 09:46 AM

Plantime-
I happen to work in 2 pharmacies as a pharmacy tech and am pretty familiar with the system. It's ok that you disagree with me, however I think that it is not the responsability of the pharmacist to know each and every ingredient of each and every drug. That is not humanly possible!! There are thousands of drugs each with several ingredients. Knowing the ingredients is the job of the manufactur,not of the pharmacist.

There is a book in which pharmacists can look up ingredients, however they are not usually current. Also, it isn't written right there as "gluten". The pharmacist usually ends up calling the company to see what is in it. Even when you put an allergy on a patient file, it doesn't show up as a reaction to the drug because it isn't seen as a major problem within the drug manufacturing/computer software. It is just best and safest to call the company, they have the most current and upto date information.

It is also a big pain in the butt for the pharmacist to have to take the time to look up the information. Each medication has a HUGE amount of information for it in the book, and it is hard to look through it all to find what you would want to know. Also, it isn't written right there as "gluten". The pharmacist usually ends up calling the company to see what is in it.

Think of the most annoying thing in YOUR job, that is the equivilent of what you are asking your pharmacist to do by making him look up all that extra information!! They have pleanty to do without taking time out of their day to do extra footwork that you could be doing yourself, AND it is much safer for you to do it yourself! Take that into consideration the next time you pick up the phone to call for a question that you could have just as easily have solved on your own.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#6 taneil

taneil

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 10:41 AM

If you have a compounding pharmacy near you, you can avoid the hastle of calling manufactures. They actually mix the ingredients there and know exactly what they put into the med's. The only thing is, that I believe you have to get your doctor to write it on the perscription so they can compound it. The compounding pharmacy where I live can made medicine into gummies, lolly pops etc. It might be worth looking in to. You may not have one near you, but you might look.
Taneil
Enterolab Diagnosed May 2004
gluten-free/CF and have both genes

Psalm 27:13-14
I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD In the land of the living. Wait for the LORD;
Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the LORD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: