16 replies to this topic

#1 hstevens

hstevens

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:18 PM

I am fairly new to this and am wondering if it's ok to buy deli meats. Even though a brand is gluten-free, what about cross contamination of the slicer? I've asked the deliworker to wipe the machine before slicing but I have a sinking feeling that's not good enough. Are the pre-packaged sliced meats safe? How else can you but this stuff?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Moongirl

Moongirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:07 AM

I am fairly new to this and am wondering if it's ok to buy deli meats. Even though a brand is gluten-free, what about cross contamination of the slicer? I've asked the deliworker to wipe the machine before slicing but I have a sinking feeling that's not good enough. Are the pre-packaged sliced meats safe? How else can you but this stuff?

Your sinking feeling is probably right. I dont buy from the deli counters anymore. Honestly the pre-packaged ones I have tried are better then some of the ones from the deli. Hormel has really good ones and are labeled gluten-free, and so does Hillshire Farms, there is Sara Lee, AppleGates.....there is a whole lot that you can get pre-packaged that are gluten-free. If you do a search on the forums for deli, Im sure you will get a lot of results to search from.
Dx & gluten-free since 12/09/05

Positive blood and endo test
Boston, MA

What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger

#3 par18

par18

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:13 PM

I've been on the diet about a year and have never asked to clean slicer. I have had no problems. Usually get Boar's Head brand meats and cheese. Maybe I'm just lucky because I do have celiac disease.

Tom

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:28 PM

I was never a big sandwitch kinda girl. I you truely want to be safe, I would up to the Hillshire farm pre package meats and not do the deli sliced meats. There is probably no difference in taste and it would last longer in the package.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#5 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:48 PM

I get Boars Head sometimes and get the person waiting on me to clean the slicer, they are usually very accommodating, I try to go when they are not busy and I always request this with a smile! But my absolute fave is Applegate Farms deli meats, they come prepackaged and are also hormone and antibiotic free and nitrite and nitrate free. I get them at Life Grocery (a health food store in town) or at Whole Foods.

I just read somewhere that Carl Buddigs deli meats are all gluten-free...

#6 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:42 PM

We also eat Oscar Mayer (I had to sing the song to remember the spelling :P ). I am always in the store when it is busy so I buy prepackaged. Just not worth the risk to me.

hez

#7 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:11 PM

The line alone is enough to keep me with o-s-c-a-r!
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#8 awesomeame

awesomeame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:03 PM

i just use leftover meat from roasts for sandwiches, then you know what's in 'em! then you won't get all the salt that comes in those deli meats either B)

--matt

#9 Cheri A

Cheri A

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:17 PM

I've just been using leftover meats for my dd's lunches lately too. However, today, my dh asked me to get some sliced deli meats for him to take to work with him. They had Applegate Farm turkey... I was :blink: at the price $11 something/pound!!

Nini ~ is the pre-packaged cheaper than that? I gotta check our hfs and see if they have any prepackaged meat.
Mom of:
Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.
Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

#10 jaten

jaten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:06 PM

I've just been using leftover meats for my dd's lunches lately too. However, today, my dh asked me to get some sliced deli meats for him to take to work with him. They had Applegate Farm turkey... I was :blink: at the price $11 something/pound!!

Nini ~ is the pre-packaged cheaper than that? I gotta check our hfs and see if they have any prepackaged meat.

I can answer that for you in my area. I buy the package meats and $11/lb sounds about right. I'm paying $5-$6 for 7 oz of Applegate pre-pkgd deli meat. I justify it because: 1- I always feel fine after I eat Applegate's meats; 2-I don't eat a sandwich every day (although once opened I do try to consume the pkg in 5-7 days since no preservatives are used). 3-I was sick long enough.....I'm worth it.

#11 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:44 PM

yeah that sounds about righ... I have to agree with Jaten, we are worth it, and I don't eat it every single day, but my daughter and I can go through a pack of turkey bologna in two days...

#12 kevsmom

kevsmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:04 PM

I use Hormel sliced packaged lunchmeat to make wraps. I fill them with slices of gluten free cheese (Kraft labels all of the ingredients in their products) and roll them up. I add some gluten free crackers and a fruit for a quick and easy lunch.
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2005
Diabetic

#13 jaten

jaten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:29 PM

yeah that sounds about righ... I have to agree with Jaten, we are worth it, and I don't eat it every single day, but my daughter and I can go through a pack of turkey bologna in two days...

Your post caught my eye. Two days? How long would you feel safe eating it? I think really, I don't eat it after 5. 7 seems long for no preservatives. Thoughts Nini, or other?

#14 Cheri A

Cheri A

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 04:14 AM

Thanks Jaten and Nini!

Yes, she's worth it.. I just have to get used to the price of it... like all the other special priced foods!
And, I need to find the pre-packaged stuff cuz I'm not doing the deli for her...
Mom of:
Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.
Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

#15 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:32 AM

Applegate farms are my absolute favorite! esp. their turkey bacon!
Molly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: