This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bummed Out

Rachel--24

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I had my first colonoscopy yesterday due to family history of colon cancer. I was really drugged up so cant remember anything. My Mom was telling me tonight that the doctor said he couldnt go high enough into my colon because of I have a really sharp turn that he couldnt get the scope past. He said its not that common but it sometimes happens in smaller people. So from what I gather he told my Mom I have to have another procedure to check out the upper half. I think a barium something or other....maybe an ultrasound? I'm not really sure but I have to get myself cleaned out again.

Thats what I'm really bummed out about. The procedure yesterday was no big thing but the fleet stuff I had to drink caused an allergic reaction cuz I'm sensitive to the preservative in it. It made my head swell. I knew I'd react to it when I looked at the ingredients but figured since its a one time thing I'd just deal w/ it. Now I have to do it again! I wonder if theres another way to get cleaned out w/out drinking that Fleet stuff. Theres gotta be another way.

Some other stuff the GI told my mom is that I have a slow digestive system. I dont have food allergies...I have food intolerances (Duh)....and the best part...I have IBS. <_<

I guess I'll find out more when I see him in 3 weeks. Does anyone know anything about what I have to do to check the upper half of my colon? Has anyone ever heard of the scope not getting past a sharp turn? :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dolphin0599 Newbie

hi rachel- im sorry to hear about your test and having to take the medication i wish i had some sorta answer for you i dont.i was wondering if you could help me, i just found out i have celiac disease along with other food alleriges and was wondering if you knew of a support group in the bay area. i tried to find one in marin or north bay there are none.

thanks sorry i cant hep you-

abbie

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Hi,

I know there are some groups here...although I have never gone. Try posting your question in the support group forum and I'm sure someone will be able to help you. :)

Guest nini

Aww Rachel, that sux... can you do an enema to clean you out? Would that be acceptable to your Dr.? That is what they had me do because I am allergic to a large family of medications and ingredients and knew I would react to the Fleet stuff... I'm sorry that you have to go through that again. It's never fun is it!

jerseyangel Proficient

Rachel--I don't know if this will help, but I didn't use the Fleet Phospho Soda--my doctor said something about it upsetting the electrolites? Anyway, I had to drink a laxative that came dry in a jug. and I added water to it the day I was to use it. I had to drink a glassful every 20 minutes for 5 hours. It was awful! It dried out my mouth at the beginning, and got increasingly hard to swallow--but it did the job ;) . Anyway, I thought I'd let you know :) So sorry you have to go through that again!

dlp252 Apprentice
I had my first colonoscopy yesterday due to family history of colon cancer. I was really drugged up so cant remember anything. My Mom was telling me tonight that the doctor said he couldnt go high enough into my colon because of I have a really sharp turn that he couldnt get the scope past. He said its not that common but it sometimes happens in smaller people. So from what I gather he told my Mom I have to have another procedure to check out the upper half. I think a barium something or other....maybe an ultrasound? I'm not really sure but I have to get myself cleaned out again.

Thats what I'm really bummed out about. The procedure yesterday was no big thing but the fleet stuff I had to drink caused an allergic reaction cuz I'm sensitive to the preservative in it. It made my head swell. I knew I'd react to it when I looked at the ingredients but figured since its a one time thing I'd just deal w/ it. Now I have to do it again! I wonder if theres another way to get cleaned out w/out drinking that Fleet stuff. Theres gotta be another way.

Some other stuff the GI told my mom is that I have a slow digestive system. I dont have food allergies...I have food intolerances (Duh)....and the best part...I have IBS. <_<

I guess I'll find out more when I see him in 3 weeks. Does anyone know anything about what I have to do to check the upper half of my colon? Has anyone ever heard of the scope not getting past a sharp turn? :huh:

I saw him yesterday for an endoscopy (my second). You actually may not have to do the bowel cleanse, and if you do I'm sure there are other methods. A co-worker of mine just had something done and they gave him two large bottles of something that he said tasted like a banana smoothie. They then x-rayed his abdomin. Do you see the doctor again before the procedure? His scheduler is really nice and helpful too, maybe she can tell you more, and I think she'll send info, but you can ask to make sure.

I had my colonoscopy and endoscopy last Monday (3rd), but he had to redo the endoscopy because the scope he used couldn't reach something he needed to see...so I went to El Camino Hospital yesterday where they have scopes that articulate more. I had to do the colon cleanse last Monday, but didn't for yesterday's procedure...I just had to fast for 8 hours.

AmandaD Community Regular

Yes. My mom had the same thing happen when she had her first colonoscopy- she had to have a barium done right after the colonoscopy - nothing was wrong with her just that her colon had a sharp turn at the very end of it.

She was ticked she had to go through the barium x-ray...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StrongerToday Enthusiast

Bummer!!! Can't beleive you have to do that all over, but if it helps in the long run...

My friend had to have a similar procedure done and was given a gallon of "Go Lightly" to drink the night before the procedure. Apparently the product is not well named as "Go Lightly" is apparently an oxymoron :blink:

jerseyangel Proficient
Bummer!!! Can't beleive you have to do that all over, but if it helps in the long run...

My friend had to have a similar procedure done and was given a gallon of "Go Lightly" to drink the night before the procedure. Apparently the product is not well named as "Go Lightly" is apparently an oxymoron :blink:

:lol::lol: That is what I had to take--I couldn't remember the name!! Go Lightly--NOT :D

mmaccartney Explorer

Rachel,

That really sucks. I had a colonscopy done and they are not fun at all. I'm not sure which is worse, the prep kit or the test??/

Have you discussed with your doctor a cameroscopy?? Bascially you swallow a small pill sized camera and wear a harness for a day. The camera takes thousands of pictures of your entire digestive tract, inclusive of your colon.

It's more expensive, but if your having a reaction to the prep kit for the colonscopy, it should be justifieable to your insurance company...

I think the "proper" term is a Camera Endoscopy.

Susan123 Rookie

I have had two colonoscopys and 1 sigmoidoscopy. First one I took the go-lightly (nothing light about it). Second time 2 ducolax and a enema and third fleet (yuck- I mixed it with sprite and haven't had sprite since 3 years ago.)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I saw him yesterday for an endoscopy (my second). You actually may not have to do the bowel cleanse, and if you do I'm sure there are other methods. A co-worker of mine just had something done and they gave him two large bottles of something that he said tasted like a banana smoothie. They then x-rayed his abdomin.

Donna, I have an appt. with him before I have the test so I'll be able to find out more. My mom was the one who talked with him and she said I definatelty have to get cleaned out again for the new test. Its not the one where you drink the smoothie...I've had that one twice already...that one was a CT scan. I'm not quite sure what this one is.

Yes. My mom had the same thing happen when she had her first colonoscopy- she had to have a barium done right after the colonoscopy - nothing was wrong with her just that her colon had a sharp turn at the very end of it.

Thanks, glad to know its not that unusual! :)

Thanks everyone for your advice/tips. I'm definately not gonna drink the fleet stuff again no matter what! Maybe I can acheive the same results by drinking epsom salts?

dlp252 Apprentice
Donna, I have an appt. with him before I have the test so I'll be able to find out more. My mom was the one who talked with him and she said I definatelty have to get cleaned out again for the new test. Its not the one where you drink the smoothie...I've had that one twice already...that one was a CT scan. I'm not quite sure what this one is.

Bummer! I definitely think the Fleet Phoso is what made me so sick last week. I expected fo feel bad the day of the procedure, but I was dizzy and slightly nauseated all last week after the procedure...I didn't have to do that this time and today I feel fine...could also be because I told the nurse who was going to give me the sleepy medicine that I was sick last week from SOMETHING...maybe he did something differently because he said he would talk to the doctor, so I just don't know. I do know that Fleet stuff is NASTY whether or not one has an allergic reaction to it... :unsure:

erin24 Explorer

I seriously just got a little sick to my stomach just reading the words "Fleet Phoso..."!!!! :wacko:

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I am so sorry you have to do this again. Please tell your doctor about the reaction and use a different product if you need one. Also ask them to please make sure the barium drink is gluten free many of them aren't. I found that out the hard way.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Also ask them to please make sure the barium drink is gluten free many of them aren't. I found that out the hard way.

Really? :blink:

I never thought about that. The barium stuff I drank last week for my CT scan tasted pretty good to me. I would drink that stuff again no problem...I didnt feel sick afterwards.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Really? :blink:

I never thought about that. The barium stuff I drank last week for my CT scan tasted pretty good to me. I would drink that stuff again no problem...I didnt feel sick afterwards.

Not all of them have gluten. I just got lucky. I never would have known if my DD wasn't doing a shadowing semester at the hospital during her last year of high school. She had just been diagnosed herself and asked about gluten in everything she could think of.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Sorry Rachel,

My GI a good friend of mine at the hospital couldn't get me sedated..I felt every twist and turn. He kept saying, AW Judy, I just feel so bad for you"

My colon went into spasms during the procedure and he couldn't do a turn either but finally forced it .gently so as not to pierce it...I did the go litly too.

It took 3 weeks of water D to get the colon healed back up...I was on the phone every other day.to him.

Good luck can't really offer any helpful suggestions

hugs and thinking of you.

judy

mouse Enthusiast

I am so sorry that you had such problems. I can't drink that stuff as I throw it up - right away - so none gets into my system. I clean myself out the old fashion way with enemas and pills. Ask your doctor about doing it the way they used to before this junk was invented. Good Luck.

awesomeame Explorer

i have crohn's and get scoped yearly, and have had them done since 1990-ish. you kinda get used to it. besides phospho as was mentioned there is a jug you can buy and just add water, i believe it's called "colonite." i used it once like 10yrs ago, but much prefer the phospho myself since you only need to drink a little bottle of the stuff, rather then a gallon-in-30mins colonite. check out the crohn's and ulserative colitis forums at Open Original Shared Link there is a wealth of info there. also i would discuss the camera with your doc as mentioned to see if it's appropriate. to help wiith the "cleaning out," i switch to a liquid diet two days prior to the scope, that usually helps with passing stool after taking the phospho.

--matt

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Well, good luck with whatever happens next.

Sis Rookie

I don't know how you are about taking pills, but My GI doc prescribed something called Visicol tablets. (Not sure if that's the correct speling??). You have to take a whole bunch of pills in a short period of time and drink lots and lots of water. It might be worth asking you Dr. about. It was pretty miserable, but I have also had to go on a complete clear liquid diet for 3 days prior to procedure just so I would not have to endure of of the nausea etc. that I get when taking any of the nasty preps. Good luck to you.

Archived