23 replies to this topic

#16 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 05:39 PM

Talk to your teacher about the poses you don't enjoy. If you're not enjoying them because they're uncomfortable, there should be a way - with corrections or props - to make the pose better suited to you.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 03:53 PM

I have only been practicing yoga for 3 years so I still consider my self at the beginner stage, there is so much more for me to learn. I agree that getting some personal instruction is necessary, as well as helpful, to become familiar with the poses and correct alignment. My accupuncturist is also a yoga instructor on the side and he got me started with the basics and then I took it from there practicing at my home with an assortment of dvds/videos. My favorites are Yoga Zone, Rainbeau Mars, and Core Power Yoga. As for styles, I think it's all been vinyasa, but I'm not totally certain on that.

I started out really slowly and worked my way up at my own pace, as my body and health would allow. IMO that's what's so great about yoga, it's not an all or nothing thing- even if you are only able to put in a little bit of effort you are still transforming, moving energy and creating change.

As for the weeping, for me this has happened with different poses at different transitional stages throughout my practice. At first I always wept when doing threading the needle. Then it was the pose (sorry I don't know the correct term for all of the poses) when I was bent over face to shins with my feet standing on my hands, toes to wrist. Then the other day I just started weeping uncontrollably when I accomplished a more advanced pose I had never done before, a one legged king pigeon pose.

I am thinking about getting training to teach yoga, a process that I'm sure will take me some time, but I look forward to the precess.

#18 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 05:29 PM

Anybody have any opinions on the yoga sessions that incorporate weights throughout???

#19 queenofhearts

queenofhearts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 05:54 PM

Anybody have any opinions on the yoga sessions that incorporate weights throughout???

Well, I am no expert, but my instinct would be to keep the yoga & weights separate. I do both, & the yoga for me is all about listening to my body & finding these subtle balance points, just the right degree of stretch &c. It seems to me weights would throw all that off.

If you want a gentle & safe form of weightlifting that will still really challenge you, try the Slow Burn technique. You won't believe how hard a workout you can get with fairly light weights, little chance of injury.

Leah

i do bikram yoga!
i love it!!
i seemed to always pull things and be sore when i did ashtanga classes, but bikram seems to be the match for me!

I started with Bikram yoga too-- when I had really painful arthritis the hot rooms were absolute heaven. (I'm also prone to chills & in the winter feel "cold in my bones"-- that's why my D,D,D,DH gave me a gift certificate for "hot yoga" classes.) I'd been into yoga in my youth but stopped practicing when my kids were young, & I never thought I'd do a full lotus again with my arthritic knees, but after a few years of practice, I have so much more mobility than before. I tell all my friends with arthritis to try it. (I actually practice at home now, but it was the Bikram that got me over the hump!)

Leah
The Queen of Hearts,
She made some tarts
All on a summer's day.
The Knave of Hearts,
He stole the tarts
And took them clean away.

Diagnosed at age 49 by biopsy 31 May 2006

Learning how to bake those tarts gluten-free!

#20 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 06:21 PM

Well, I am no expert, but my instinct would be to keep the yoga & weights separate. I do both, & the yoga for me is all about listening to my body & finding these subtle balance points, just the right degree of stretch &c. It seems to me weights would throw all that off.

If you want a gentle & safe form of weightlifting that will still really challenge you, try the Slow Burn technique. You won't believe how hard a workout you can get with fairly light weights, little chance of injury.

Leah

This is what I was thinking too, that they need to be seperate, but the Core Power yoga folks here in my state hold a practice with weights often and it seems like a lot of other main stream gyms around here are incorporating weights into their yoga classes as well. So, I was just wondering if it's the "new" thing or what.

#21 queenofhearts

queenofhearts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:14 PM

This is what I was thinking too, that they need to be seperate, but the Core Power yoga folks here in my state hold a practice with weights often and it seems like a lot of other main stream gyms around here are incorporating weights into their yoga classes as well. So, I was just wondering if it's the "new" thing or what.

It probably is the new thing-- but as with diets the new fad isn't always an improvement! But I don't mean to discourage you from looking into it. Sometimes new is great. The Slow Burn weights are a fairly recent innovation, & for me they were a real revelation. I would just be concerned if the real value of yoga is diminished in the quest for "having it all". For me yoga is such a pure thing, just my mind & body & gravity, the closest I come to meditation. Weights have a very different vibe! For the record, I try to do yoga daily (notice I say try), elliptical trainer 2-3 times/week, & Slow Burn 1-2 times/week. If I'm doing it all I feel great. If I get too busy or lazy I start feeling it very quickly. (I'm 50 years old, so use it or lose it is true at an accellerated rate!)

Leah
The Queen of Hearts,
She made some tarts
All on a summer's day.
The Knave of Hearts,
He stole the tarts

#22 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:50 PM

It probably is the new thing-- but as with diets the new fad isn't always an improvement! But I don't mean to discourage you from looking into it. Sometimes new is great. The Slow Burn weights are a fairly recent innovation, & for me they were a real revelation. I would just be concerned if the real value of yoga is diminished in the quest for "having it all". For me yoga is such a pure thing, just my mind & body & gravity, the closest I come to meditation. Weights have a very different vibe! For the record, I try to do yoga daily (notice I say try), elliptical trainer 2-3 times/week, & Slow Burn 1-2 times/week. If I'm doing it all I feel great. If I get too busy or lazy I start feeling it very quickly. (I'm 50 years old, so use it or lose it is true at an accellerated rate!)

Leah

queenofhearts,

I really like my yoga as is too. I feel it is challenging enough without adding weights into the mix.

I basically do yoga about 10 days on and 1 day off and walk 3-4 times a week. I want to add in pilates and thought about maybe doing some weights a couple times a week as well. But we'll see, I'll start with the pilates and see how that goes.

That slow burn sounds interesting, is there a website, or something I can look up to learn more about it??

#23 queenofhearts

queenofhearts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 08:00 PM

queenofhearts,

I really like my yoga as is too. I feel it is challenging enough without adding weights into the mix.

I basically do yoga about 10 days on and 1 day off and walk 3-4 times a week. I want to add in pilates and thought about maybe doing some weights a couple times a week as well. But we'll see, I'll start with the pilates and see how that goes.
That slow burn sounds interesting, is there a website, or something I can look up to learn more about it??

I got most of my info from the book, but here's the site:
http://www.seriousst...om/history.html
It really does not take a great deal of time out of your schedule & makes a big difference in strength.
Give it a try!

Leah
The Queen of Hearts,
She made some tarts
All on a summer's day.
The Knave of Hearts,
He stole the tarts

#24 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 11:44 AM

I got most of my info from the book, but here's the site:
http://www.seriousst...om/history.html
It really does not take a great deal of time out of your schedule & makes a big difference in strength.
Give it a try!

Leah

Thanks so much for this information Leah, I will check it out :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: